The most popular compact car in America is...

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not according to Car and Driver but who cares.

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I’m sure you’re VW stalker is going to say something about this

LittleturboSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Here in Canada, civic has been the best selling, not only compact car, but passenger car for 20+ years...….in a row! Canadians are quite conservative on buying cars. It has to look like a car, and use like a car, and pay like a car. And the civic just nails all these perfectly.

The government even has a holiday called "Civic Holiday" to honor this.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The Civic has an unfair advantage over all the other small cars. Not only is it the best in terms of the performance/value/reliability/mileage balance but it has a model for everyone.

NA engine Coupe and Sedan. Turbo Coupe, Sedan and Hatch. Sport versions. Si Sedan and Coupe. The almighty Type R.

That's an incredible lineup.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some crazy numbers.

Civic sales alone are nearly equal to sales of the entire Audi model lineup. More Civics are sold than the combined total of every Mitsubishi and Porsche model in the US.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Here's some crazy numbers.

Civic sales alone are nearly equal to sales of the entire Audi model lineup. More Civics are sold than the combined total of every Mitsubishi and Porsche model in the US.
I see at least 3 unique newer Civics per minute whenever I go out on the road. In the compact car segment, they way out sell the newer Toyota Corollas, although there are probably just as many older model Corollas on the road. I suspect Corollas recent price increases, plus Toyotas reluctance to go the turbo charged route may be the reason

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see at least 3 unique newer Civics per minute whenever I go out on the road. In the compact car segment, they way out sell the newer Toyota Corollas, although there are probably just as many older model Corollas on the road. I suspect Corollas recent price increases, plus Toyotas reluctance to go the turbo charged route may be the reason
Which is strange since in the 80s Toyota had a turbocharger almost in every car including the truck ( my friend had one) and a supercharged MR2 also the Supra. And more auto manufacturers are going turbo look how long it took Honda to go turbo

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Annually, Toyota sells (10M) twice as many cars as Honda (5M). I don’t think it’s hurting on sales by not going the turbo route. It’s just buying time and milking its NA engines as long as the transition to EV will take. Their best-selling SUV (RAV4) with the most powerful engine (219 hp, 39 mpg) is now a hybrid. The turbo on the new Supra is just a weekend endeavor that won’t register a blip in Toyota’s history since it’s mainly a rebadged BMW.

Honda will be wise to take a hint on where Toyota is heading. I’m seeing some hope with the Insight and Honda E.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I think it's cool Honda is keeping the idea alive of being able to have one car in multiple body styles and distinct trims with the Civic. It seems like back in the 70s and 80s a lot of cars were available as 2-, 4-, and 5-door body-styles, with multiple engine and transmission options. But nowadays every automaker just has 5 SUVs for sale each with different names but only really differ by an inch in length.
Is the Civic the car model with the most variability now?

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think it's cool Honda is keeping the idea alive of being able to have one car in multiple body styles and distinct trims with the Civic. It seems like back in the 70s and 80s a lot of cars were available as 2-, 4-, and 5-door body-styles, with multiple engine and transmission options. But nowadays every automaker just has 5 SUVs for sale each with different names but only really differ by an inch in length.
Is the Civic the car model with the most variability now?
True I’m assuming the 5 doors are station wagons in the 70s and 80s also in the 50s and 60s they had 2 &4 door wagons but today the hatchback kind of replaced the wagon in the compact car models

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to see them add AWD Civics to the lineup.