amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
A couple of days ago I read an article on why the manual transmission needs to go. It was pretty fact filled and compelling. The author argued that automatic transmissions were far superior with computer controlled advanced shifting, making modern cars faster, more responsive, and more efficient. It can upshift or downshift multiple gears even before we can move our hand. He also argued that many people bought cars with manual transmissions because they were cheaper. Well he says, that is no longer the case, in fact he makes the argument that today if you want a car with a manual, you have to go to premium trims. He also mentions that if you want the "connected to the road" experience, dual clutch does that job, in a more efficient way than a manual can ever provide. Lastly he states, almost no one except the most most fanatical enthusiast is buying a manual anymore (manual transmissions accounted for only about 6% of sales last year).

The author is right. The modern AT is extremely advanced. It shifts faster and smoother, is quieter and more efficient, and in most newer cars is maintenance free for the life of the car (my 2013 Toyota Sienna does not have a fill opening or anyway to check the fluid). Off the line, they perform much better than their manual counterparts and are much more comfortable to drive, especially in traffic.

But I think those that say why don't you buy the automatic transmission, It's faster off the line should understand that we don't drive cars with MT's because they are faster, or more efficient. We know that they are not. We buy them because they connect us to the car and make the driving experience more special. It engages us, takes away other distractions, and makes us better drivers. Drive a winding twisting road in a car with an automatic and it does not compare to driving that same road with a MT where you have full control of your rpms. There are some scenarios where the manual has complete advantage over an automatic:

Automatic:
You are creeping along in traffic in the second lane to the right. The transmission has upshifted to it's last gear. Your exit is coming up and you are waiting for an opening. There is suddenly an opening, and you hit the gas. The car hesitates as the transmission begins searching for the right gear, and finally gets into second. By the time the car gets going the gap has been closed and you miss your exit. You are fucking pissed and cussing because you have to take the next exit 2 miles away

MT:
You are creeping along in traffic in the second lane to the right. The transmission is in second gear. Your exit is coming up and you are waiting for an opening. There is suddenly an opening, and you hit the gas gunning it in second. You are able to get into the gap before it closes and you get off the exit a happy man

Anyway, I love MT, and hope it will never die, because everything else about driving is
Sponsored

Boostjuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A couple of days ago I read an article on why the manual transmission needs to go. It was pretty fact filled and compelling. The author argued that automatic transmissions were far superior with computer controlled advanced shifting, making modern cars faster, more responsive, and more efficient. It can upshift or downshift multiple gears even before we can move our hand. He also argued that many people bought cars with manual transmissions because they were cheaper. Well he says, that is no longer the case, in fact he makes the argument that today if you want a car with a manual, you have to go to premium trims. He also mentions that if you want the "connected to the road" experience, dual clutch does that job, in a more efficient way than a manual can ever provide. Lastly he states, almost no one except the most most fanatical enthusiast is buying a manual anymore (manual transmissions accounted for only about 6% of sales last year).

The author is right. The modern AT is extremely advanced. It shifts faster and smoother, is quieter and more efficient, and in most newer cars is maintenance free for the life of the car (my 2013 Toyota Sienna does not have a fill opening or anyway to check the fluid). Off the line, they perform much better than their manual counterparts and are much more comfortable to drive, especially in traffic.

But I think those that say why don't you buy the automatic transmission, It's faster off the line should understand that we don't drive cars with MT's because they are faster, or more efficient. We know that they are not. We buy them because they connect us to the car and make the driving experience more special. It engages us, takes away other distractions, and makes us as drivers. Drive a winding twisting road in a car with an automatic and it does not compare to driving that same road with a MT where you have full control of your rpms. There are some scenarios where the manual has complete advantage over an automatic:

Automatic:
You are creeping along in traffic in the second lane to the right. The transmission has upshifted to it's last gear. Your exit is coming up and you are waiting for an opening. There is suddenly an opening, and you hit the gas. The car hesitates as the transmission begins searching for the right gear, and finally gets into second. By the time the car gets going the gap has been closed and you miss your exit. You are fucking pissed and cussing because you have to take the next exit 2 miles away

MT:
You are creeping along in traffic in the second lane to the right. The transmission is in second gear. Your exit is coming up and you are waiting for an opening. There is suddenly an opening, and you hit the gas gunning it in second. You are able to get into the gap before it closes and you get off the exit a happy man

Anyway, I love MT, and hope it will never die, because everything else about driving is
No doubt about everything you laid out. Automatics these days are just better in every way. There's just something about certain manual cars that makes it way more fun to drive. Or just like you said, more engaging. I've brought it up in other threads but s2000's are amazing to drive with their perfect transmissions. I haven't driven any kind of porsche but I'm sure those things are crazy fun to drive in manual form.

SC5000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I have tried many times to just suck it up and drive an automatic but keep coming back to a MT. I don't care how advanced auto transmissions have become (8 speed, dual clutch blah blah), ultimately the only way I have full control is with that heaven-sent third pedal. My goal is to keep this Civic till my kids are old enough to teach them the pleasure of driving a manual.

It is scary that all trends are pointing to a definitive death of manuals in the not so distant future. Hell, ICE's days are numbered as well.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I have tried many times to just suck it up and drive an automatic but keep coming back to a MT. I don't care how advanced auto transmissions have become (8 speed, dual clutch blah blah), ultimately the only way I have full control is with that heaven-sent third pedal. My goal is to keep this Civic till my kids are old enough to teach them the pleasure of driving a manual.

It is scary that all trends are pointing to a definitive death of manuals in the not so distant future. Hell, ICE's days are numbered as well.
I have also thought about sucking it up and just going with an automatic, but there is no comparison. I never get when people argue that the same car is faster with an automatic. It is usually the people who can't drive a manual or are not very good at it. The only time I would get an automatic is if I had the income for two vehicles and that won't be anytime soon. Most enthusiast would opt for a manual, but if they happen to get an automatic, I am pretty sure they would miss the manual eventually.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It matters not that a computer can shift faster than me. Simply put, no variation of an automatic transmission is remotely close to being as fun to drive compared to a manual.

Last edited:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
i remember just prior to around 8 years ago or so, 1 of the reasons we always bought manuals is because THEY were the faster options. and of course, better for spirited driving in every other way as well.

i never thought id see the day where autos would be faster and argued to be the better option.

and even with that being said, ill stick take a manual over any type of auto untul the day i die. never owned a car with anything else and never will.

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It matters not to me that a computer can shift faster than me. Simply put, no variation of an automatic transmission is remotely close I being fun to drive compared to a manual.
This is it, plain and simple.

newskate9

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Type-R, 16 Honda Pilot Elite
Country flag
LOL - perfect example of preaching to the choir!

I agree with everything written so far. I'll add a couple of points. 1. I am the only person in my family that can drive a stick. That means I know where and how the car is driven all the time. I don't find finger prints on the glass or french fries under the seats. There's no way a car seat is going in here and my sound system has had one lover only. Ahhhhh................

Second, in respect to the technology of the new auto's, I have a Pilot too. When I'm approaching that theoretical exit above and may need to jump, I pump the down paddle twice and the trans moves to select-mode, 2 gears lower. It stays there for a short period of time before guessing I want to be in automatic. IF I need to KEEP is there, I can push the S button or just work the paddles a bit and have the control. I have a good friend who has means to drive only exotics, and there is no MT to be found. Of course, 700HP means never having to say you're sorry.

NET - I'm an MT guy all the way. I love the feel and what I interpret as control. And, I love this car!

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Regardless of whether today's autos being faster, with the 8, 9, and 10 SPD autos, they're also constantly hunting for gears and they are usually jerky at low speeds...no thanks. I enjoy rowing my own but the biggest reason for a manual for me is to avoid all that gear searching that today's autos do. I want to hold whatever gear I want to indefinitely. I like that granular of control so nope on autos. I'm sure I will reach an agreement where I will defect but not for another 10 years at least.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2 years ago I thought MTs sucked, why bother with one, automatics are way better, yada yada yada. Then about a year ago, something clicked and made me respect it more. I watched a lot of videos on YouTube of people driving manual cars and thought it would be fun to try. I also wanted the Type R so I forced myself into buying it to learn.

It was a rocky road but now that I’m almost a year long manual driver I have come to love it. There’s so much connection I feel that you will never find in an automatic. Flipping paddles does nothing compared to hitting the clutch and rowing the gearbox. Sure in traffic it’s a PITA, and it’s not fun on hills, but those are not the majority of situations for me. When I’m all alone I can attack the corners and feel like I’m a professional racer thanks to the auto rev matching in the CTR. It’s just so much fun. I don’t ever want to go back to only owning an automatic.

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My first car was a manual... and that was on purpose. My dad told me the wise words of "everyone should know how to drive a manual". Today I agree with him simply because if there is an emergency situation and a manual is the only means of help you better know your shit. In my case it was either learn or do not drive (basically no choice XD). I have never had an automatic car in all my years of driving, but if the Si came in an auto (not CVT) I would have considered it. Don't get me wrong I do love the drivers engagement with a manual, but I have to deal with traffic 5 days a week as we all know a manual in traffic sucks (at least the clutch is light as hell). I am sure one day the manual as an available option will die especially with the emergence of electric cars and that will be a sad day.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
A manual transmission is one of the best theft deterrents.
For sure MT is a theft deterrent, many of the younger generation car thieves don't know how to drive a manual. There a younger engineer at my work, late 20's, drives a Lexus IS300 F Sport. Smart kid. A group of us went to lunch, he saw my manual and said "last time I saw one of those was in Gramps car". Made me feel really old
Sponsored