RCX

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R | Sentra SER | GMC Terrain.
Country flag
Do the brakes squeal on everyone's car???

I know there is a thread on it that says only solution is to change the pads. Why sell the pads if they squeal? I feel this is close to being a defect and should be dealt with by Honda.

Does your car have this problem? Have you asked/complained to the dealer about it?

If the pads are the issue I may ask for replacements under warranty. 1st I'll try with the dealer then Honda.
Sponsored

elmoTK

R-00272
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW '17 CTR, '07 TSX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I know there is a thread on it that says only solution is to change the pads. Why sell the pads if they squeal? I feel this is close to being a defect and should be dealt with by Honda.

Does your car have this problem? Have you asked/complained to the dealer about it?

If the pads are the issue I may ask for replacements under warranty. 1st I'll try with the dealer then Honda.
It's not a defect. These are track oriented pads. They make noise especially when cold. You bought a track focused car. If this upsets you, wait till you replace the tires.

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Yes.

If the pads are the issue I may ask for replacements under warranty.
This is not a warranty issue. There is nothing wrong with the pads– squeal is not a defect.

Here is my suggestion: change the pads. If you are not comfortable changing the pads yourself, bring them to the dealer and explain the situation. Ask if they can install them for free.

I have Hawk HPS 435F.585 pads and they are great. I hated the squeal and felt much better the first time I came to a stop and I didn't hear it. I paid $90 and installed them myself, it was easy to do. I will save the OEM pads for the track.

OP
OP
RCX

RCX

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R | Sentra SER | GMC Terrain.
Country flag
Yes.

This is not a warranty issue. There is nothing wrong with the pads– squeal is not a defect.

Here is my suggestion: change the pads. If you are not comfortable changing the pads yourself, bring them to the dealer and explain the situation. Ask if they can install them for free.

I have Hawk HPS 435F.585 pads and they are great. I hated the squeal and felt much better the first time I came to a stop and I didn't hear it. I paid $90 and installed them myself, it was easy to do. I will save the OEM pads for the track.
I bet thats your review of the pads on Amazon!

Will complain to the dealer 1st for complete replacement, if they wont I will try your idea of asking them to change them for free if I supply the pads.

SpicyMcFatburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1976 Datsun 280Z
Country flag
I bet thats your review of the pads on Amazon!

Will complain to the dealer 1st for complete replacement, if they wont I will try your idea of asking them to change them for free if I supply the pads.
I doubt you get anywhere. Brakes are a wear item, so the dealership will most likely not replace them for free. And, in performance oriented setups like ours, low speed brake squeal is a given. Evos do it, I assume STis do it, the Golf R, Focus RS, pretty much any car with an aggressive brake setup WILL SQUEAL.

This is not a problem, not unusual, and not going to go away until you switch brake pads to something less aggressive. But, you'll also lose braking performance if you do so (mostly noticeable at the track).

Don't consider this an issue, consider it a feature.

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
We get squeaking brakes at audi all the time and we replace front and rear pads under warranty..(updated pads) worth a try if it bugs you so much. I can live with it.. its a "characteristic"of the car..

Honda Marketing

First Name
kimha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type-S
I doubt you get anywhere. Brakes are a wear item, so the dealership will most likely not replace them for free. And, in performance oriented setups like ours, low speed brake squeal is a given. Evos do it, I assume STis do it, the Golf R, Focus RS, pretty much any car with an aggressive brake setup WILL SQUEAL.

This is not a problem, not unusual, and not going to go away until you switch brake pads to something less aggressive. But, you'll also lose braking performance if you do so (mostly noticeable at the track).

Don't consider this an issue, consider it a feature.
That was what my Honda sales man told me as well. It is a free "mandatory" option only available in the Civic Type R. You have to pay around $400 to remove this squeaking option. New break pads plus labor.

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
please dont go screaming to your dealer demanding they fix something that is not broken. if you walked into my shop with this kind of arrogance i would not be happy. as previously mentioned by everybody these pads are performance brake pads and they make noise, once they warm up the noise goes away. now if you politely ask your dealer to try and locate some nice ceramic pads and install them im sure they will, but they will not cover the cost for something that isnt on them.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
The dealer does not even have other types of pads for you. They can only replace it with the same but new pad.

petem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be FK8.
And, in performance oriented setups like ours, low speed brake squeal is a given. Evos do it, I assume STis do it, the Golf R, Focus RS, pretty much any car with an aggressive brake setup WILL SQUEAL.
Interesting. I have owned an Evo X, STi, two Golf R32s, 911C4S, Focus ST and now the CTR, and I don't recall any of those cars having brake squeal regularly, not even the CTR. I won't say that I've never had brake squeal, but certainly not on a regular enough basis to really be irritated by it (and I do like to use the brakes pretty hard on the road). The Evo did have a brief period where it would squeal maybe 50% of the time, but that only lasted for a few weeks then it stopped for no obvious reason.

Having said that, I just found it interesting that I haven't had it where many others obviously have, and I don't disagree with your point as I know it's accepted that a lot of performance pads do squeal so you can't really complain if it happens on a car like the CTR, and as has been pointed out it does warn about it in the owner's manual. It wouldn't bother me if mine did start to squeal so long as it wasn't loud enough to shatter the windows, but in any case I can't see any way a dealer would do anything about it under warranty.

Maybe a set of earplugs would solve it at minimal cost, or just turn up the music (or even better, get a very loud exhaust)!
:)

thisguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler 4D, 1978 Honda Hawk
Country flag
My brakes make ears bleed. They'd be perfect for a horror movie soundtrack.
Is this bound to go away over time? Or because the pad is the same material all the way through, it will always continue? I just didn't know if there was any contact differences after wearing down with usage.
I'm about 2k miles in.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My brakes make ears bleed. They'd be perfect for a horror movie soundtrack.
Is this bound to go away over time? Or because the pad is the same material all the way through, it will always continue? I just didn't know if there was any contact differences after wearing down with usage.
I'm about 2k miles in.

Not my video, but this should help your brakes squeak less. Whatever you do, don't do a track day, they will squeal like a pig for DAYS after

Sponsored