Status
Not open for further replies.

CbusHondaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Si TW, 2019 Civic Type R CW
Country flag
Just want to report in - Got my 2019 CTR (March '19 build date) on April 24th and I've driven over 800 miles and so far no 2nd gear grinding - not even once. Also no notchy feeling either when going into 2nd gear. I did replace the OEM shift knob with the Honda Accessory shift knob (the red leather one) but that's the only thing I have changed on the car. I did that two days after getting the car and purely for aesthetic reasons - I prefer the look of the red leather compared to the aluminum knob. Maybe the heavier and taller accessory shift knob alleviates the notchy feeling and grinding issues? I will check in periodically but hopefully I won't have any issues to report :)

Last edited:

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I occasionally had the grind and always a notchy feel to the change. For me the solution has been to basically stamp on the clutch pedal for the 1st to 2nd change. If I do that and keep my foot hard to the carpet the gear changes smoothly every time.
It sounds like you would benefit from adjusting the cmc with more preload or buying e-man’s modified cmc. I would also recommend replacing the MTF with fresh OEM Honda MTF and ensure you fill to the correct spec.

veehexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK2R
Country flag
best thing i've done on my FK2 (i posted a few months ago in here with same symptoms) is rear engine mount and both acuity gearbox&shift base bushes. all that vagueness and inconsistency with changes has gone.
also running the Xtreme twin-plate clutch, CDV mod, clutch braided line & ATE typ200/RBF600 fluid but looking back over the last 6-8 months, the above made the most difference to shift feel and acuracy.

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
789 miles and really bad grind going into 2nd gear twice. I had my music loud the first time but this time just now my radio wasn't up that high. I will pull the dash cam for sound of the grind.. It's awful....

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It sounds a lot worse when it happens and you're sitting right next to it. The sound on the dash cam doesn't come close to portraying how bad the crunch/grind is. It makes me cringe when it happens.

The only good thing about the most recent grind is that it was about half as long of a grind as it was the first time lol.

Video -

"tell me where your love lies~" *CRUNCH* "waste the day and...."

Since it has happened twice in a week, I'm going to drive without radio on for the next week to see if it will happen again. It sucks in paranoid shifting into 2nd gear...

foyevtsov

First Name
Oleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fiesta SE Hatch, 2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
It sounds a lot worse when it happens and you're sitting right next to it. The sound on the dash cam doesn't come close to portraying how bad the crunch/grind is. It makes me cringe when it happens.

The only good thing about the most recent grind is that it was about half as long of a grind as it was the first time lol.

Video -

"tell me where your love lies~" *CRUNCH* "waste the day and...."

Since it has happened twice in a week, I'm going to drive without radio on for the next week to see if it will happen again. It sucks in paranoid shifting into 2nd gear...
Happens to me once in a while, 2000km on it so far. For me it had been happening only while a large acceleration, say going fast to ~4000-5000rpm in 1st gear and then quickly shifting into 2nd. I am still keeping my eye on it, because another thing that I noticed, at least mine, is that clutch likes to be pressed really down the floor. If it goes a millimeter less you feel that you are not fully disengaging the clutch discs. Also, another observation is going slow (some 5kmh or so) in neutral, try to press clutch and shift into 1st gear. Again, if clutch is not pressed all the way to the floor you get grinding while shifting. I don't know if that is expected behavior or not, though. What do you think?

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Happens to me once in a while, 2000km on it so far. For me it had been happening only while a large acceleration, say going fast to ~4000-5000rpm in 1st gear and then quickly shifting into 2nd. I am still keeping my eye on it, because another thing that I noticed, at least mine, is that clutch likes to be pressed really down the floor. If it goes a millimeter less you feel that you are not fully disengaging the clutch discs. Also, another observation is going slow (some 5kmh or so) in neutral, try to press clutch and shift into 1st gear. Again, if clutch is not pressed all the way to the floor you get grinding while shifting. I don't know if that is expected behavior or not, though. What do you think?
I'm with you on when it happens. Both times it's been when I sped up quickly in 1st to go around a car and then shifted to 2nd. I really doubt the clutch thing. When it happened the first time, I thought my foot was lazy and I didn't use clutch correctly.. but I've had 6 manual cars in the last 20 years and never had this issue. Ever since the first crunch, I've been very sure to completely press clutch going into 2nd because the sound of the grind was so horrifying. So I know this 2nd time was not a 'clutch being fully engaged' issue. It is something inside the trans.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just as a data point, my car has never had a grind. But my clutch engagement is way up higher than your description. I would say it's 65% of the way up when it is really engaging. The bottom third of travel is a comfortable no-engagement zone so it's a nice safety buffer when shifting.

I think it's a pedal adjustment issue.

ExVTEC

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
426 miles on my 2019 CTR no hard driving yet but the 1-2 shift feels notchy at times. Reverse also.

foyevtsov

First Name
Oleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just as a data point, my car has never had a grind. But my clutch engagement is way up higher than your description. I would say it's 65% of the way up when it is really engaging. The bottom third of travel is a comfortable no-engagement zone so it's a nice safety buffer when shifting.

That what I always used to feel that there is some 25% or so of the travelling of the clutch pedal is a safety zone. Interestingly enough, it acts so in my CTR when I am starting slow to regular, but it shows up (still observing and collecting statistics) only in fast start, like Z06Chris also confirms in his experience. It could have been a pedal thing, sure, but it must have been consistent, which is not the case for us, at least. Could be still that those to whom it is happening are not consistent with the pedal, but since we are aware of the problem, we start to always think before switch "did I press clutch far enough?"

foyevtsov

First Name
Oleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
426 miles on my 2019 CTR no hard driving yet but the 1-2 shift feels notchy at times. Reverse also.
Under what conditions do you feel notchyness? Is it fast start or more slow to regular? Also, what about the clutch pedal depressing depth?

foyevtsov

First Name
Oleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

BTW, Gansan, what about the slow cruising 2nd-to-1st shift type of test on yours? Once or twice it shortly ground when I was shifting in 1st. Again, blamed myself first, but I am pretty confident it wasn't me. Tried intentionally doing that couple of times more, cannot reproduce it. :dunno:

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
BTW, Gansan, what about the slow cruising 2nd-to-1st shift type of test on yours? Once or twice it shortly ground when I was shifting in 1st. Again, blamed myself first, but I am pretty confident it wasn't me. Tried intentionally doing that couple of times more, cannot reproduce it. :dunno:
When going into first, there's a bit of effort, like all manual transmissions. I don't do it very often, mainly in parking lots.

Regarding notchiness, I think it's the nature of this transmission. It's more notchy than all my previous cars, and I think that's the design.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.