The Master
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
the trans fluid is cold the viscosity is not thin enough until its warmed up the good thing about having the trans cooler is it warms the fluid up faster also.
the jerking is the cold brake fluid and the stupid cdv

The transmission is much notchier when it’s very cold out (when the gauge is on C). I find that it’s also prone to jerking until the car warms up, and then it gradually improves.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SL0, FK8R, GR3
Country flag
Any transmission is a little bit different in cold climates. The driver has to be a little bit patient until it's warmed up (like with the engine too).

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
thats what i thought too, so i have disabled it since the first day. not a grind in my 200 miles, and i hophope and pray it will stay thr same....

Something I would like to share, I disactivated Rev Mach, and the car feels completely different , Long time whiteout any grind , I notice the engine is not holding the RPM when you shift up, I thought the rev Mach just work for down shifting but apparently does a lot a job shifting Up also, what I believe is happening whit rev Mach activated the engine hold up the rpm and that combined whit quick shifting doesn't synchronize properly the gears causing the grinds to 1 to 2 gear and sometimes from 2 to 3 gear in mine case.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
thats what i thought too, so i have disabled it since the first day. not a grind in my 200 miles, and i hophope and pray it will stay thr same....
Is like rev Mach is designed for daily drive but not for sport driving . I got 10.017 miles now and I desactivated rev Mach whit 8968 miles and it felt like completely new different transmission

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
that would have been an easy fix but i guess its a different issue for some other ppl thou

Is like rev Mach is designed for daily drive but not for sport driving . I got 10.017 miles now and I desactivated rev Mach whit 8968 miles and it felt like completely new different transmission

Mature Banana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Genuinely interested to see if any 2019s have the issue.
I have a 2019 (R-21549). So far no grinds at all after the first 650 miles. No mods to the car and I have not disabled revmatching. Also, I’d class myself as a novice driver as it’s been over a decade since I last drove a stick. I therefore can’t attribute the lack of grinds to my driving prowess....:drive:

So, either I got lucky and bought a CTR with a good tranny or they possibly changed something?

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
Congrats - how do you like the physical knob button? Is it responsive?

I have a 2019 (R-21549). So far no grinds at all after the first 650 miles. No mods to the car and I have not disabled revmatching. Also, I’d class myself as a novice driver as it’s been over a decade since I last drove a stick. I therefore can’t attribute the lack of grinds to my driving prowess....:drive:

So, either I got lucky and bought a CTR with a good tranny or they possibly changed something?

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Wow. More and more transmission parts are being shown as "discontinued."

For those of you who aren't experiencing the noise/grind, and really want to:
1. Find a parking lot.
2. Start driving around in a circle in 1st gear. Make the circle big enough that you can have the engine constantly at about 5500rpm in 1st.
3. Engage full power.
4. Shift into second at 7000rpm (you're still driving in a circle). Shift as you normally would, not a money shift.
5. If you were going clockwise, repeat going counter-clockwise (or vice versa).
I take no responsibility if you try this.

ETA: edited for clarity.

Last edited:

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
Wow. More and more transmission parts are being shown as "discontinued."

For those of you who aren't experiencing this, and really want to:
1. Find a parking lot.
2. Start driving around in a circle in 1st gear. Make the circle big enough that you can have the engine constantly at about 5500rpm in 1st.
3. Engage full power.
4. Shift into second at 7000rpm (you're still driving in a circle).
5. If you were going clockwise, repeat going counter-clockwise (or vice versa).
I take no responsibility if you try this.

For What?.

Nath

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
2018 Civic Type R
6 days of ownership
144 miles on the car

Including me, 3 people have drove the car and all 3 experienced the 2nd gear crunch. I have also had a 1st gear lockout. I haven't even had it long enough to put gas in it. Taking it to the dealer in the afternoon to find out what Honda is going to do. Here's the possible options based on these last 67 pages

1. remove the clutch master cylinder damper as "flying Gato" claims that fixed his tranny but he did have the whole thing replaced
2. Transmission oil (not known to work)
3. oil cooler oil level check
4. Installing a heatshield between the clutch and downpipe
5. Clutch pedal Assembly
6. Clutch Hydrolics (clutch valve delay)

main sources of proof that this is a known issue

1. Definitive gear grinds can be heard on nurburgring track times distinctively at 1:56, 3:28, and 4:27 respectively
2. A 67 page long forum of this issue (duh)
3. Savagegeese making a whole video over it (currently 167,226 subscribers)
4. Flying Gato having this issue (currently 13,040 subscribers)

I hope that this post catches people up on this issue so they dont have to read 67 pages. I also wanted to simply chime in as nobody on this forum has experienced this transmission issue at such low mileage with such a high badge number. I will be sure to report back after I speak to the dealer.

Also, My type R has another issue that is unrelated. The right front brake dust shield has been grinding on my rotor and I know this because I pushed on it and the sound is gone but I can feel the indent it left in the rotor and i'm sure there is now missing paint on the dust shield leaving it open to early rust.

Links

I had my first howling 1 to 2 grind while leaving the dealer with my brand new 2018 CTR. I was literally less than a block down the road! I blamed it on myself, and felt embarrassed at being such a lousy shifter. A couple hundred grinds later, I kinda gave up bringing it back to the dealer that could never reproduce the grind,...and am just counting on the extended warranty to fix the tranny when it blows up 5 years from now.
Honda Civic 10th gen The Infamous 2nd Gear Crunch GBMD5497.JPG

VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
I've got 750 miles on my 2018 CTR now and I right away noticed the notchiness and little metalic feeling "catch" as it worked from gear to gear. The car had 5 miles on it when I picked it up and hot or cold, it didn't matter... The poor shifting experience was concerning. Hoping it would work itself out, I shifted it gently for about 250 miles with zero improvement, then...

At the recommendation of some reads in this thread, I replaced my oil with a fresh batch of Honda MTF. OMG, it was liked someome swapped out my tranny for a different one... as if a switch had been abruptly flipped. Immediately, all shifting both cold and warm went to straight butter. No more notchiness, and no more "tick" between gears.

I'm still shocked at how this can be and don't understand it at all but I'm 100% certain of the before & after and HIGHLY recommend anyone feeling anything less than butta try this right away. I fully realise that if I were reading these words written by a total stranger, I'd think to myself - "bullshit," but I'm dead serious folks... no one ever could have sold me on the concept that a mere fluid swap would have had such a major impact on shifting experience.

Mind blowing.

On a side note, how can this be?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.