BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I am glad to see that people are still looking for an answer to our transmission issues. My car had 300 miles when I first encountered my second gear crunching. After a dance with the Honda engineer over several months, I was told that a replacement transmission would be necessary. The noise and feel was so bad that I decided to do it. The dealer performed the install perfectly and were extremely professional and helpful. The car had around 3000 miles when replaced. I have 12,000 presently. However, almost immediately after, I began to experience not only the 1-2 gear issue but also the 5-4 lockout, sometimes 2-3 lockout and just recently to top it off a fourth gear downshift crunch...I am an experienced driver like most people who purchase these cars. I do feel some additional slop in the shifting feel as someone mentioned. Is it possible that because I am experiencing multiple issues as described that the cable could just be loose or poorly designed? Can't be that simple....I have a service coming up soon. Is it worth having them check that?. I hope they come out with the fix. It is very frustrating....
no, youre replacement tranny has defective synchros as well. have that shit warrantied again. itll just keep getting worse.
Sponsored

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan GTR 2017 Honda Type R 1989 Porsche C4
Country flag
no, youre replacement tranny has defective synchros as well. have that shit warrantied again. itll just keep getting worse.
I appreciate the response. I was very hesitant when they replaced the original tanny but did it anyway..Mistake..lucky I have the extended factory warranty as well for seven years and 70,000 miles. The other question is this...if I just have another tranny put in I will it finally be the solution or more of the same? Until we have proof of ungraded internals from the factory is it worth replacing again?

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I appreciate the response. I was very hesitant when they replaced the original tanny but did it anyway..Mistake..lucky I have the extended factory warranty as well for seven years and 70,000 miles. The other question is this...if I just have another tranny put in I will it finally be the solution or more of the same? Until we have proof of ungraded internals from the factory is it worth replacing again?
you might get lucky and get a good 1 out of the batch but its a risk again. the transmissions just plain fucking suck like many honda manual trannys have over the past 15 years.

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
@Gfrank Given that they warrantied you once, I would keep on them - at least documenting your issues with the new transmission.

In other news, one of the things that I have noticed with the ACUITY short shifter (prototype) is that I can feel the synchros during shifts. 5-4 seems to be the slowest. I see bleeding the clutch line in my immediate future ...

George

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Integra Type R (sold)
Country flag
I recall reading that certain parts of the transmission (or possibly the whole thing) have had their part numbers retired. Most people are guessing this means we're getting a redesigned tranny or at least some new parts for it. I know for cars like the ND miata, there was a clear way to identify which version of the trans it was and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to visibly identify whether or not the 2019's are getting the new/redesigned parts?

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
Where did you get this information?.
The Partnumber i know from the transmission is 20011-5DE-R00.
Maybe they change this number for the redesingt tranny. That would be great if Honda did it. Hope they will open a TSB for us that we can get the New transition.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
@UFO CTR ,Hi !! How your transmission is working? I'm very interested in your solution.. If still working fine.
I don't have too much of it...I got a total of 4 times this year. I've basically changed my shifting habit making sure I pull left and down at the same time. I'm pretty sure the shift that I have grind were lazy shift where I pull straight down...can't really explain that. Then I've added the Acuity shifter bushing and the shifting is tighter now...pulling straight down feel very much like pulling left and down, as there are less slack now. It's probably been only 200 miles with the shifter bushings, but I will continue to monitor and fill you guys in.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I don't have too much of it...I got a total of 4 times this year. I've basically changed my shifting habit making sure I pull left and down at the same time. I'm pretty sure the shift that I have grind were lazy shift where I pull straight down...can't really explain that. Then I've added the Acuity shifter bushing and the shifting is tighter now...pulling straight down feel very much like pulling left and down, as there are less slack now. It's probably been only 200 miles with the shifter bushings, but I will continue to monitor and fill you guys in.
@UFO CTR I know what you are saying, I understand , that's exactly what I am do in regarding the grinding issues. Whit this Acuity shifter bushing it feels more hard the gears? Do you have a Link?

Thank you.

spyder93090

I'm here to kick names and take ass.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Type R #20034
Country flag
R#20034 (2018, CW, USA) checking in for a data point, picked her up 11/7/18 and have 511 miles as of now.

Had the second gear grind happen once in the first several days, I just assumed it was me learning the tranny.

Had another gear grind happen again with my dad but I attributed that to him not having driven a MT in decades probably (albeit, I don't remember which gear).

This morning, I had it happen twice on the same drive to the gym. Both second gear. And I feel like I was being careful as shit the second time it happened.

Gonna document it with my dealer and gonna be a little more cognizant of my shifting discipline.

FunThomas

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
it's not anyone driving style, these gearboxes (for sure some of them) are just shitty and have factory defect. Imagine that manual cars that are using by driving schools to learn people how to drive are just fine after many many kkm. And people there are making lots of mistakes driving stick. It's not human error, it's company error and there is no doubt about it.

Last edited:

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Something I would like to share, I disactivated Rev Mach, and the car feels completely different , Long time whiteout any grind , I notice the engine is not holding the RPM when you shift up, I thought the rev Mach just work for down shifting but apparently does a lot a job shifting Up also, what I believe is happening whit rev Mach activated the engine hold up the rpm and that combined whit quick shifting doesn't synchronize properly the gears causing the grinds to 1 to 2 gear and sometimes from 2 to 3 gear in mine case.

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
I have had two more grinds and with the colder weather the crunchy feeling shifting is back.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have had two more grinds and with the colder weather the crunchy feeling shifting is back.
The transmission is much notchier when it’s very cold out (when the gauge is on C). I find that it’s also prone to jerking until the car warms up, and then it gradually improves.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.