turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
4th to 5th lockout yes an I believe it is a cable issue not this 1st-2nd grind. I can make my car grind every time I shift from 1st-2nd if I want... just shift like u shift into the other gears try shifting fast like that from 1st-2nd never happen an it goes back to the engine mounts when u rev the car up in 1st gear an shift to 2nd I feel the whole engine still moving an binding shift it suck royally its horrible.. unless u bang it into gear from 1st-2nd or pause or wait shift it sucks. The trans sucks plain an simple..
Sponsored

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I enjoy the car I just can’t get over these car companies today how they release this shit... especially in a car like this make sure the thing is right. I can see a light come on or electrical problem but engine an trans problems get it right before u release a car. Honda knows about this they probably don’t even know what it is

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
@Ruckus kinda why I am on the fence about have the dealer inspect then tear the trans out of it... the cradle has to come out an I am not saying all of the Honda techs... I understand u are one but some are butchers u can probably attest to that. It’s not getting any better... I know owners of a dodge Chrysler Jeep an a gmc an Buick dealer an they all can’t get good tech’s... I talk to them a few times a week.. like I said I mean no disrespect there are some goods ones left but not many... the car is to new for me to take a chance at someone who has never done one before an anything u take apart never goes back the same like I say all the time go drive an original car then one that’s the same restored there totally different
no worries man i dont take offence to any comments you make! ive worked with some shady characters and still work with some lazy bums. this is a big job and even though its straight forward theres always things that can go wrong. obviously a job like this especially on a car like this would be given to somebody with experience and hopefully somebody that takes is seriously and handles with care. i pride myself is returning vehicles to the customers looking like i never even touched it. just need to have trust in the techs, because like you said they arent all bad!

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
Have u heard anything or what been kicked around on the Honda tech line... I would like to hear from a tech that has had the trans opened
there has been a few responses to my original post, in one case another tech tore the trans apart and posted pictures of some chewed up syncro teeth but he did not say which gear (im assuming 2nd) i asked him to provide more info on what he found and what he ultimately replaced but he never responded. another tech has a complaint of a 2018 type r that was hard to shift into every gear, and in his case found a broken shift cable. but thats a different issue.

majority of the reply's to my topic have been techs asking more questions and trying to seek help in a proper repair, but so far nothing definitive.

CTR1633FK2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R Fk2 + Civic Type R Fk8
Country flag
4th to 5th lockout yes an I believe it is a cable issue not this 1st-2nd grind. I can make my car grind every time I shift from 1st-2nd if I want... just shift like u shift into the other gears try shifting fast like that from 1st-2nd never happen an it goes back to the engine mounts when u rev the car up in 1st gear an shift to 2nd I feel the whole engine still moving an binding shift it suck royally its horrible.. unless u bang it into gear from 1st-2nd or pause or wait shift it sucks. The trans sucks plain an simple..
Or the 2nd synchro is worn out due to clutch issues? It was working too hard since the beginning?

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
I think its the movenemt of the hole engine.. Try to install a pitch stopper from cusco and check if there is any benefits while shifting from 1st to second as fast as the other gears

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s not the clutch... it’s something with the second gear synchro an a machining issue from the factory an the notchy shifting I knew was cable issue... another thing I noticed was the grease on the cable linkage on the trans the grease has dropped off an on the top of my trans case idk if the grease there using it any good either.. I guess it’s take it to the dealer replicate the issue an hope if they decide to replace the trans u get a well build one if not 2 an 3 times it’s gotta come out an I have seen that before an the techs get a little sloppy after the first time. Ask me how I know lol srt4 trans came out under warranty years ago 4 times before I told the tech to replace the pivot ball on the clutch fork dodge used a plastic coated pivot ball what a mess that was!! An why I won’t own another dodge Chrysler product

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The first time it happened, I thought it was my fault for poor clutch timing, so I tried to reproduce it at the next stop light 30 seconds later. This time I was sure that the clutch pedal was on the floor, and I was able to reproduce the grind. It only happens when I pull the shifter very quickly (< 0.2 second) from 1st to 2nd. It won't grind if I go a little slower (~0.5 second from 1st to 2nd).

I have had driven many manual cars in the past, and have never had a problem when I shift quickly.
This is probably the best description to match when I am experiencing grinding in my 1st to second shift.

Today I tried to do the fast shift from 1st to second but making sure that I was completely off the throttle before landing in 2nd and I was not able to reproduce the grind.

I have never experienced this with any manual transmission before. It really sucks to know that these CTR’s are defective after we paid premium price for them.

I really hope they do a recall or somethinfg that fixed this. It hurts me to the core when I hear and feel that grind.

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
After i instaled a pitch stopper the shift is more smooth like before.. Al gears can push in easily. I think if you shift fast from 1st in 2nd gear the engine movement is to much and fast, that maybe the cable or the two arms on the gearbox where the cable goes on move by himselfe without touching by the shiftknoob. That the gear will not go in position
even through the knoob ja in right position . Im from Germany and i hope u can understand What i mean.
Now i want to install some stiffer shiftcable buschings. Maybe it will be more better after the pitch stopper rear engine mount..

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
So, i thought u fixed ur grinding by removing the CDV, right? Did it not?

After i instaled a pitch stopper the shift is more smooth like before.. Al gears can push in easily. I think if you shift fast from 1st in 2nd gear the engine movement is to much and fast, that maybe the cable or the two arms on the gearbox where the cable goes on move by himselfe without touching by the shiftknoob. That the gear will not go in position
even through the knoob ja in right position . Im from Germany and i hope u can understand What i mean.
Now i want to install some stiffer shiftcable buschings. Maybe it will be more better after the pitch stopper rear engine mount..

DPL8

First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
acuityinstruments.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 3388
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Taking my into the dealership again today, we will see what happens, immediately as i started talking to a service advisor he started to say "oh we dont cover transmissions that have been abused.." like bro you have not even opened up the transmission yet and you are assuming that its been abused SMH

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Taking my into the dealership again today, we will see what happens, immediately as i started talking to a service advisor he started to say "oh we dont cover transmissions that have been abused.." like bro you have not even opened up the transmission yet and you are assuming that its been abused SMH
get ready to be fucked over by your stealership

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
So, i thought u fixed ur grinding by removing the CDV, right? Did it not?
Installed my own build pitch stopper and its awesome.. Less hopping wheels and on wide open throttle you can shift more easy like before. The 5 and 6 gear were little bit harder to put in. Now ist easy like all other gears.. In my opinion the 1st to second crunch is because of the original soft pitch stopper and more engine movenemt and much movenemt in the transmission cable.
After i change the transmission fluid, remove the CDV and the pitch stopper i never get any problems or crunch from 1st to 2nd gear. But i will install in a few days the shifter cable bushing for more Performance and less freeway from the shiftknoob.

Honda Civic 10th gen The Infamous 2nd Gear Crunch IMG_20181011_212357

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
So, at least it's not the transmission issue. @FK8_Ger would you say whether the CDV removal helps more or the upgrade of Pitch Stopper helps more??

Or, should I ask if you have experienced any 2nd gear grinding after removing the CDV, and before upgrading your pitch stopper??

Installed my own build pitch stopper and its awesome.. Less hopping wheels and on wide open throttle you can shift more easy like before. The 5 and 6 gear were little bit harder to put in. Now ist easy like all other gears.. In my opinion the 1st to second crunch is because of the original soft pitch stopper and more engine movenemt and much movenemt in the transmission cable.
After i change the transmission fluid, remove the CDV and the pitch stopper i never get any problems or crunch from 1st to 2nd gear. But i will install in a few days the shifter cable bushing for more Performance and less freeway from the shiftknoob.

IMG_20181011_212357.jpg

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
The CDV is not the reason for 1st to 2nd grind but it helps a lot for perfect timing of shifting.
The pitch stopper is in my opinion the mod you have to do to prevent the grinds.. Until now i had not any grinds and i did some very fast shift with wide open throttle from 1st to 2nd gear..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.