Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Like said on my thread when a transmission locks u out of a gear 90% of the time is the clutch dragging mine does it very rarely now since I just changed the fluid an it’s not a full lockout it’s just not smooth going into gear... weird I know.. but the more I think an rack my brain an die the clutch drag test push your clutch in an pick like 4th or 5th gear an rev it up to almost redline an see if she moves in the R u have to be rolling a bit to get past the 3,500 rpm limit when the the car is stationary thats how u check if the clutch is dragging
I agree with you that clutch dragging is the most likely reason for grinding in general, assuming the synchros aren't worn out or something. However, I would think choosing first gear would work better to verify this. You want it to be easy for the dragging clutch to move the car, and first gear is the easiest.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
I removed the CDV in the clutch slave cylinder wich is on the transmission like on page 43 and its so much different to shift on point like before. Now the clutch does what it should do in same time/way like you push the clutchpedal.. Now i can drive fast from start and shift in all gears without problems and smooth like never before and without a shaking car while changing gears. ... Its awesome..

Check out the Post from Acurately on page 2. No more words need.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/ctr-clutch-delay-valve-removal.22065/page-2

Cheers from germany

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
So, u just did it and it worked right away? Cool :thumbsup:

Thx for sharing

I removed the CDV in the clutch slave cylinder wich is on the transmission like on page 43 and its so much different to shift on point like before. Now the clutch does what it should do in same time/way like you push the clutchpedal.. Now i can drive fast from start and shift in all gears without problems and smooth like never before and without a shaking car while changing gears. ... Its awesome..

Check out the Post from Acurately on page 2. No more words need.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/ctr-clutch-delay-valve-removal.22065/page-2

Cheers from germany

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Buick Grand National, 11 GTR, 18 CBP Type R, 11 Tundra Rock Warrior
Country flag
Cmc will fix grind 1st-2nd but probably not the 5th-4th lockout

FK8_Ger

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type r FK8
In my case since i did this mod there wasnt any issue with the gearbox.. Much more feeling in the clutchpedal now and you can shift up as quick as u want on point without a slow going back clutch slave cylinder.

jsyar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, BMW 328xi, BMW X3
Country flag
I have about 800 miles on my 2018 and I've had several 2nd gear grinds. I haven't had one in a while until today. It's a hot day today and I've got to wonder if the heat has anything to do with it. I had three of them today and I had my camera running for two of them. Just normal driving on the first and second one and some spirited acceleration for the third. Here's a video of the normal driving one and the spirited one:

R 9153

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
I have about 800 miles on my 2018 and I've had several 2nd gear grinds. I haven't had one in a while until today. It's a hot day today and I've got to wonder if the heat has anything to do with it. I had three of them today and I had my camera running for two of them. Just normal driving on the first and second one and some spirited acceleration for the third. Here's a video of the normal driving one and the spirited one:
Thanks for the upload so people can see more instances of the grind. I'll have to put up a video too. Sorry that your R is grinding btw :/

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
At least u stay calm... I blow a freaking gasket.. my blood boils every time my car does it

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks like he knows how to drive a stick... to people that call it user error. I am taking mine into the dealer an I will push this to the fullest... i’ll call Honda NA everyday just to be an ass... like everyone knows I am lol Because I don’t drink the kool-aid.

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
great videos @jsyar , very sorry you're experiencing the issue. although im still hopeful the more recorded cases of this, especially ones with video proof will help our cause. still no official word of the root cause of this issue. ive seen a few different things going around and more posting on the honda techline forums (not many though). some people have been instructed to replace the trans while others have been instructed to remove, disassemble, and repair.

I myself am still holding out just hoping for some sort of an explanation or updated parts. i dont really want to go through the repair procedure twice if i can help it.

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@Ruckus kinda why I am on the fence about have the dealer inspect then tear the trans out of it... the cradle has to come out an I am not saying all of the Honda techs... I understand u are one but some are butchers u can probably attest to that. It’s not getting any better... I know owners of a dodge Chrysler Jeep an a gmc an Buick dealer an they all can’t get good tech’s... I talk to them a few times a week.. like I said I mean no disrespect there are some goods ones left but not many... the car is to new for me to take a chance at someone who has never done one before an anything u take apart never goes back the same like I say all the time go drive an original car then one that’s the same restored there totally different

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The second gear grind issue has to be a syncro issue. No doubt in my mind... an with some not grinding an some grinding it’s gotta be a quality control issue or machine or human who puts the trans together... some of us got some gear cruncher junker trans bottom line. No buts about it!!

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have u heard anything or what been kicked around on the Honda tech line... I would like to hear from a tech that has had the trans opened

turboshawn

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There needs to be someone who want to tear one apart that know manual transmissions well an figure out whats wore out or is wearing out... only way or it’s just a guessing game at replace this, change the fluid, try a cmc, or have a dealer replace trans is not figuring out what wrong with the ones that are having issues... an the the dealers that have opened them up an attempted a fix haven’t heard good things on that out come an also there just probably ordering a 2nd gear set an not looking at the old shit an throwing it in the trans

MYTYPE

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
The second gear grind issue has to be a syncro issue. No doubt in my mind... an with some not grinding an some grinding it’s gotta be a quality control issue or machine or human who puts the trans together... some of us got some gear cruncher junker trans bottom line. No buts about it!!
Not necessarily....It could lie somewhere in the shifter/cable assembly.
There needs to be someone who want to tear one apart that know manual transmissions well an figure out whats wore out or is wearing out... only way or it’s just a guessing game at replace this, change the fluid, try a cmc, or have a dealer replace trans is not figuring out what wrong with the ones that are having issues... an the the dealers that have opened them up an attempted a fix haven’t heard good things on that out come an also there just probably ordering a 2nd gear set an not looking at the old shit an throwing it in the trans
Not necessarily the tranny. Very well could be in the shifter/cable assembly.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.