HondaProKevin.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.HondaProKevin.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR, S2000, RSX-S, Accord, CR-V
Country flag
Thats tough .. id take it to dealer anyway .. enough complaints and then honda will have to look into it. It sucks.. but by 3rd time around due to lemon law honda will def have to step in..
Yeah, the more logs that Honda has in their database the better our odds are of having something done "if" this turns out to be a legit problem.

I'm debating on whether or not I want to wait for it to happen one more time before I drag in to the dealer.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
last saturday i had this happen to be again, im still pretty low miles just hit 300 but haven't experienced this since around 30 miles, was just pulling out from work, shift around 2k nothing rough at all. like saying hi to an old friend haha... super bummer.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
last saturday i had this happen to be again, im still pretty low miles just hit 300 but haven't experienced this since around 30 miles, was just pulling out from work, shift around 2k nothing rough at all. like saying hi to an old friend haha... super bummer.
knock on wood, but haven't happen to me a long time...I think the clutch may need a bit adjusting, as maybe it's not fully engaged?

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan GTR 2017 Honda Type R 1989 Porsche C4
Country flag
knock on wood, but haven't happen to me a long time...I think the clutch may need a bit adjusting, as maybe it's not fully engaged?
Sorry to hear more people are experiencing this crunch. I should get a call soon as I am waiting for the South Florida representative to address this issue. I have been driving manuals for 40 years and have never had this situation in any of the cars I have owned. I was thinking Lemon Law...However, if there is a design flaw and you get a new one, you would expect it to happen again. What number are the cars you guys have? Mine is 1056...If you have this happen please post here. I will present this to the representative and have a very long conversation....Take your cars in and document this issue if it has happened even once. Lets get this resolved....

HeathRorie

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Been trying to see what I can do to replicate it. Tried power shifting from 1-2 today and it was horrible. Just don't feel like I can go to the shop and tell them to power shift it to test lol. "Well, just..don't do that"

Froggie3kb

HondaProKevin.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.HondaProKevin.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR, S2000, RSX-S, Accord, CR-V
Country flag
Well... I've been following this thread since day one and had my fingers crossed I wouldn't ever have to contribute to it but it's happened to me now on (3) separate occasions going into 2nd gear and I'm at 505 miles now.

The first time it happened was at less than 100 miles, I thought I just didn't have the clutch in all the way and thought it was user error in a new car I wasn't used to. The second time it happened at around 400 miles when I was at about 5,000 RPM and I know for certain the clutch was fully pressed in. It put me into worry mode after that so I've been paying a lot of attention to ever 1-2 shift. Then we have today at about 500 miles with a low RPM shift at about 2,500 RPM with a slow shift too and CRUNCH.

I've been driving nothing but manual cars since I was 15 so that would put me at 17 years worth of experience. Most of those except for a couple were in multiple different Honda's so I'm familiar with their transmissions. Ridden motorcycles my whole life too so I'm not a noob when it comes to how to use a clutch and change gears but hell I've had this happen with the Type R gears grinding more in 500 miles than I've grinded gears in the last decade lol.

Now to the not so fun part which is like you guys have mentioned. How do we get this to happen with the dealership so they don't think we're crazy or paranoid...
I had it happen for the 4th time today and I'm now at 545 miles. I was taking my mother to the doctor and while going from the 1-2 shift at about 3,000 RPM the crunch / grind was there. This was the last straw, going to contact my dealer and take it in now so they can log the problem etc. I really hope something can be done as this has got to be doing damage and that's the last thing I want on a car I planned to keep forever. I've owned 15+ Honda's over the years and some with 200k miles on the clock and they didn't have this problem during the 1-2 shift or hell any other gear for that matter.

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had it happen for the 4th time today and I'm now at 545 miles. I was taking my mother to the doctor and while going from the 1-2 shift at about 3,000 RPM the crunch / grind was there. This was the last straw, going to contact my dealer and take it in now so they can log the problem etc. I really hope something can be done as this has got to be doing damage and that's the last thing I want on a car I planned to keep forever. I've owned 15+ Honda's over the years and some with 200k miles on the clock and they didn't have this problem during the 1-2 shift or hell any other gear for that matter.

I have been driving the car on a daily basis and now experience a crunch on just about every drive and also with a missed third gear upon up change. The problem is the issue is intermittent. Usually after the car has been doing its daily traffic grind. They haven't been able to duplicate this in the two times I have been at the dealer. Very frustrating. I am with you. I was going to keep the car forever. However, I also worry about damage that is occurring as a result of this issue. This is my first Honda. Always went with Toyota and Nissan. Never any issues..So now I await the representative..

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i personally dont feel like this is a clutch issue, more internal transmission or something like that. as far as the comment about lemon law thats fine and dandy for a normal car, but you wont be getting a replacement for something like this because there isnt extras just laying around. this is an issue the tech support needs to address and the engineers need to find a solution. cant remember if i previously stated this or not but one of the other techs who has been around for years told me that back in the day of the s2000 first being released they were having similar issues, and the fix was to remove the trans and ship it out for repairs. my only recommendation at this point is if you are experiencing the issue take it to your dealer and have them start a "tech line" case on it. if they see this problem pop up enough they are required to find the problem and correct it.

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
I stated lemon law not to get a replacement . No manafactuer wants to buyback someone's car so at that 3rd time, they will have pressure to solve the issue. Usually you can always call honda of america too and tell them your concern and they will work with you and contact dealer to resolve it. Works this way with the dealers ive worked for.. but thats audi not honda. Since its not widely known yet Be prepared to leave it with the dealer a while and they will have to drive it to duplicate it. But hopeully if u contacted honda they may even send a rep down to investigate.

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
As for the shipping for repairs.. ive seen this as well for first batches they would sometimes even replace your trans then send old trans to manafactuer and they would test it to find out whats going on. Somebodies trans will be the test subject so this gets resolved.

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I stated lemon law not to get a replacement . No manafactuer wants to buyback someone's car so at that 3rd time, they will have pressure to solve the issue. Usually you can always call honda of america too and tell them your concern and they will work with you and contact dealer to resolve it. Works this way with the dealers ive worked for.. but thats audi not honda. Since its not widely known yet Be prepared to leave it with the dealer a while and they will have to drive it to duplicate it. But hopeully if u contacted honda they may even send a rep down to investigate.
alright i get what your saying, i dealt with it first hand alittle over a year ago, long story short Honda actually had to buy the vehicle back, it was a newer odyssey that pulled to the left, we replaced every part on the vehicle and aligned it multiple times and never fixed it. As for leaving the vehicle at the dealer im fortunate enough that i am a tech at my dealer so ive been working with techline first hand on this issue, and by that i mean i called in and told them about it and they really didnt have much to say other then checking the obviously things. hoping someone, somewhere on the higher up is actually investigating this

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Ya i understand, i get my r in a couple weeks, signed papers already so im a little worried myself of this issue . Ya ive been in that situation as a tech a couple times before. If multiple people are coming in for this concern im sure they will be looking into it. Sadly its new and may take some time. On audis every new model for first 6 months u have to call tech support for authorization for any part replacement so they can see the issues the cars are having. Even buzzing noise in a r8 speaker i had.. haha. Honda do that by chance?

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
calling tech line for us is almost never "required" its just used more as a tool to aid in finding and correcting an issue. obviously it is highly recommended to call in when new problems on new vehicles are found so they can document it though. unless a warranty part is priced over $1000 we dont need authorization to replace.

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Ah ok, ya i worked at acura for like a year back and dont think i ever called it, most repairs were pretty simple, due to the reliability factor. Ya for audi any auto trans repair needs tech line approval. But most things dont , just new models. Calling tech support is usually pretty useful knowing there are a lot of software updates available to fix issues that are not yet known by dealers or tsbs have yet to be made..( usually they wont make tsbs for some issues cause once a tsb is out it is widely known.. they like to keep secrets on some issues etc)

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ah ok, ya i worked at acura for like a year back and dont think i ever called it, most repairs were pretty simple, due to the reliability factor. Ya for audi any auto trans repair needs tech line approval. But most things dont , just new models. Calling tech support is usually pretty useful knowing there are a lot of software updates available to fix issues that are not yet known by dealers or tsbs have yet to be made..( usually they wont make tsbs for some issues cause once a tsb is out it is widely known.. they like to keep secrets on some issues etc)

Hi guys..
Spoke with my dealer today. He now informs me that there is no date as to the representative's arrival. He suggested calling Honda customer service and file a complaint. I was told that without duplicating the issue it will be hard to take it serious unless they get multiple complaints to the issue. I was very disappointed after the sparkling initial visit with the service manager. So I guess I keep on driving with some worry in the back of my head and file a complaint. Now with 875 miles no crunch in the last couple hundred miles but shifts from second to third are very sloppy sometimes ending up in fifth having to re clutch then into third. First to second now feels like its not going into the slot fully but engages. Not every time though...wow..hopefully some more break in miles will fix every thing.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.