Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan GTR 2017 Honda Type R 1989 Porsche C4
Country flag
I have the same issue with the second gear grinding. Scary sound. Started at 300 miles now with 400 miles. Happens at least once every daily drive. I also have many years of manual driving experience with many variety of vehicles and have never had this happen. Went for a test drive once with my local tech who performs the initial inspection and drive. He could not reproduce it and said my car was much better shifting than the one he just prepared. So I put another hundred miles and.....that nasty sounding grind again today twice...I hear damage....So today had the car towed from my work to the dealer. Probably excessive but I love my cars..Wow...
I will update you when I know more. I am thinking to sell the car because of this. What do you guys think?
I love the car it is an impressive package but...come on.. from Honda? All the reviews I read and watched on you tube never mentioned this..I see others are also experiencing this. Thank God I am not crazy..
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
definitely dont sell the car over this man. this is why we have warranties, even in the worst possible case scenario if the trans needed to be replaced guess what-no charge to you :thumbsup:. still hoping to see a service bulletin on this someday, still early who knows what we will see

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the same issue with the second gear grinding. Scary sound. Started at 300 miles now with 400 miles. Happens at least once every daily drive. I also have many years of manual driving experience with many variety of vehicles and have never had this happen. Went for a test drive once with my local tech who performs the initial inspection and drive. He could not reproduce it and said my car was much better shifting than the one he just prepared. So I put another hundred miles and.....that nasty sounding grind again today twice...I hear damage....So today had the car towed from my work to the dealer. Probably excessive but I love my cars..Wow...
I will update you when I know more. I am thinking to sell the car because of this. What do you guys think?
I love the car it is an impressive package but...come on.. from Honda? All the reviews I read and watched on you tube never mentioned this..I see others are also experiencing this. Thank God I am not crazy..
definitely dont sell the car over this man. this is why we have warranties, even in the worst possible case scenario if the trans needed to be replaced guess what-no charge to you :thumbsup:. still hoping to see a service bulletin on this someday, still early who knows what we will see

Hi and many thanks for your reply. It is great to have an actual technician that is having the same issue. I thought I was crazy. Lost my driving skills...I have owned many manuals. there is a problem here..

I have several other concerns:

1. If the car needs a new transmission with only several hundred miles....I see a future of other problems?..bad build? It happens but never to me
2. If the car is ever sold..I tend to keep mine for a while...a potential buyer might question why a new trans was put in..even with dealer documentation I would be wary and find another..the value would be affected don't you think?
3. Looks like this is becoming a common issue and the car just came out..How come you don't see any mention of this in the reviews all over the place?
4. I went for a test drive with their tech and he was all sparkling how tight the car was. I thought so too until the crunching sound of death. Mine sounds that bad.
So my girl sits at a dealership.......

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi and many thanks for your reply. It is great to have an actual technician that is having the same issue. I thought I was crazy. Lost my driving skills...I have owned many manuals. there is a problem here..

I have several other concerns:

1. If the car needs a new transmission with only several hundred miles....I see a future of other problems?..bad build? It happens but never to me
2. If the car is ever sold..I tend to keep mine for a while...a potential buyer might question why a new trans was put in..even with dealer documentation I would be wary and find another..the value would be affected don't you think?
3. Looks like this is becoming a common issue and the car just came out..How come you don't see any mention of this in the reviews all over the place?
4. I went for a test drive with their tech and he was all sparkling how tight the car was. I thought so too until the crunching sound of death. Mine sounds that bad.
So my girl sits at a dealership.......
this is the nature of owning a new car, especially the first year of a new model. i see more problems with brand new cars then i do with older cars, but thats what you expect when working at a dealership i suppose. cant tell you whats actually going on in the transmission but obviously something fishy is going on, as of right now there are no updated parts regarding the transmission-so if it were to be replaced it would be with the same part that could potentially have the same problem. unless they come out with an updated trans or internal trans parts its really a toss up as to whether or not a replacement would be any better. as far as not seeing it in reviews it seems like its not really that common, we have people on here posting about it but we are just a small percentage of the majority-maybe we will see more about it in the future hard to say. if you were to sell the vehicle in the future and had proof there was a new transmission installed i would think thats a good selling point-newer is better. especially if it was replaced with an updated part. a few months ago we were putting cvt transmissions in the new crv's and accords all day long-until they came out with a software update they say "corrected" the issue. the joys of owning a new car am i right :headbang:

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
this is the nature of owning a new car, especially the first year of a new model. i see more problems with brand new cars then i do with older cars, but thats what you expect when working at a dealership i suppose. cant tell you whats actually going on in the transmission but obviously something fishy is going on, as of right now there are no updated parts regarding the transmission-so if it were to be replaced it would be with the same part that could potentially have the same problem. unless they come out with an updated trans or internal trans parts its really a toss up as to whether or not a replacement would be any better. as far as not seeing it in reviews it seems like its not really that common, we have people on here posting about it but we are just a small percentage of the majority-maybe we will see more about it in the future hard to say. if you were to sell the vehicle in the future and had proof there was a new transmission installed i would think thats a good selling point-newer is better. especially if it was replaced with an updated part. a few months ago we were putting cvt transmissions in the new crv's and accords all day long-until they came out with a software update they say "corrected" the issue. the joys of owning a new car am i right :headbang:

I thought about the first year thing, but the engine and transmission came out in Europe in 2015 I think. No reported issues..Go figure..how frustrating for a car lover...wish I had your calm attitude..guess you see this a lot..wow they don't build them like they used to..
I have purchased first year cars without this happening. What a shame..the car is great...
Looks like a possible lemon law replacement? Try again? What number build is yours. Mine is 1053

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I thought about the first year thing, but the engine and transmission came out in Europe in 2015 I think. No reported issues..Go figure..how frustrating for a car lover...wish I had your calm attitude..guess you see this a lot..wow they don't build them like they used to..
I have purchased first year cars without this happening. What a shame..the car is great...
Looks like a possible lemon law replacement? Try again? What number build is yours. Mine is 1053
from what i understand the euro spec is slightly different in some ways, could be wrong haven't looked into it. yeah man im not really bothered by most things haha. obviously im not happy to see any problems on my new car but its to be expected. ive been working at my dealer only 6 years but ive only ever seen 1 actual case of lemon law and i was the one working on it. was a newer odyssey van. im #1076 so we are pretty close in numbers. i check iN everyday for any updates, bulletins, or recalls for the CTR so if anything ever pops up myself or one of the other forum members who work at the dealers will gladly let everybody know. until then just enjoy the car for what it is and try not to sweat it. dont be afraid to take the car in for diagnosis, but also dont get angry if the dealer cant duplicate the problem. if i had a dollar for every time i had a customer come in with a complaint i was unable to duplicate or verify i could have purchased my R with cash :rofl: it sucks and for me personally its extremely frustrating but its not always easy. keep us updated on this post, i haven't had any issues since about 30 miles, just under 300 now so knock on wood.

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
from what i understand the euro spec is slightly different in some ways, could be wrong haven't looked into it. yeah man im not really bothered by most things haha. obviously im not happy to see any problems on my new car but its to be expected. ive been working at my dealer only 6 years but ive only ever seen 1 actual case of lemon law and i was the one working on it. was a newer odyssey van. im #1076 so we are pretty close in numbers. i check iN everyday for any updates, bulletins, or recalls for the CTR so if anything ever pops up myself or one of the other forum members who work at the dealers will gladly let everybody know. until then just enjoy the car for what it is and try not to sweat it. dont be afraid to take the car in for diagnosis, but also dont get angry if the dealer cant duplicate the problem. if i had a dollar for every time i had a customer come in with a complaint i was unable to duplicate or verify i could have purchased my R with cash :rofl: it sucks and for me personally its extremely frustrating but its not always easy. keep us updated on this post, i haven't had any issues since about 30 miles, just under 300 now so knock on wood.
I really appreciate you and your opinion. I would never get mad at the dealer. They did not build or design the car. They get paid for warranty work so they try and resolve issues. Your right just enjoy it and don't sweat things.You have your health. Most times when you bring the car in it is very hard for them to duplicate things. Not uncommon. However, some dealers and techs are much better than others..How can you be sure that replacing the trans will solve it? Is quality control really that bad?
Just waiting for an answer from my dealer. Update to follow...

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I really appreciate you and your opinion. I would never get mad at the dealer. They did not build or design the car. They get paid for warranty work so they try and resolve issues. Your right just enjoy it and don't sweat things.You have your health. Most times when you bring the car in it is very hard for them to duplicate things. Not uncommon. However, some dealers and techs are much better than others..How can you be sure that replacing the trans will solve it? Is quality control really that bad?

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok.. Just picked up the car from the dealer. The head tech drove the car twelve miles around a loop by the dealership up to 45-50 miles per hour, drove it in a variety of shifting styles and could not duplicate the nasty crunching into second gear. I expected it. However, they immediately contacted the Honda representative for South Florida and he will be at the dealership in one to two weeks to address the issue further. So I am driving her until then. I hope no more crunching..I just wanted to add that I had an excellent experience with this dealership Auto Nation Honda Hollywood Florida... Laz service manager, Walter service writer and Angelo head tech and can't forget Shawn PDI master. I feel much better now. I was assured that Honda wants to provide us owners with a little higher standard of care and service and if something does happen I am covered completely. So if people are looking for service etc in this region I would highly recommended them..They love cars!!!!!
I will post any further information that I receive with the representative.

iforyou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2001 Honda S2000, 2007 Acura RDX
Country flag
Hmm I think I might have this issue as I notice sound unpleasant sound going from 1st to 2nd gear a couplet times but gotta monitor for a bit more as I'm not sure if it's my shifting that's bad or what. With that said I've been driving a S2K for 3 years now.

Acurately

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3G Acura TL, 1G Acura MDX
Country flag
Could this be a similar issue that 8th gen civic si's had, there's plenty of videos on youtube about CMC adjustment for the Si that associate with 2nd gear grinds and it seemed to work for a lot of people. Here's some videos I've found:

HeathRorie

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Has happened to me twice. once around 900 miles once at 1500. Both shifting from 1 to 2. First was about a mid-rpm, second was a high rpm. Keep us updated on what the dealer says so we know what to expect, please.

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Has happened to me twice. once around 900 miles once at 1500. Both shifting from 1 to 2. First was about a mid-rpm, second was a high rpm. Keep us updated on what the dealer says so we know what to expect, please.

Hi guys..
Was driving today and another nasty second gear crunch. Car has 650 miles on her. Mine is crunching almost every drive. I drive in stop and go traffic situations, maybe gets to heated up? I noticed something else today. There is excessive play in the gear shifter when in second gear. All other gears are very tight. Anybody else notice this? I called the dealer once again. Their head mechanic said that would be normal..However, this is definitely not normal for our cars to be crunching. I will update everyone when I get a chance to meet with the representative...I would like to direct him or her to our website to verify that this is happening? Would that be ok with everyone?

Froggie3kb

HondaProKevin.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.HondaProKevin.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR, S2000, RSX-S, Accord, CR-V
Country flag
Well... I've been following this thread since day one and had my fingers crossed I wouldn't ever have to contribute to it but it's happened to me now on (3) separate occasions going into 2nd gear and I'm at 505 miles now.

The first time it happened was at less than 100 miles, I thought I just didn't have the clutch in all the way and thought it was user error in a new car I wasn't used to. The second time it happened at around 400 miles when I was at about 5,000 RPM and I know for certain the clutch was fully pressed in. It put me into worry mode after that so I've been paying a lot of attention to ever 1-2 shift. Then we have today at about 500 miles with a low RPM shift at about 2,500 RPM with a slow shift too and CRUNCH.

I've been driving nothing but manual cars since I was 15 so that would put me at 17 years worth of experience. Most of those except for a couple were in multiple different Honda's so I'm familiar with their transmissions. Ridden motorcycles my whole life too so I'm not a noob when it comes to how to use a clutch and change gears but hell I've had this happen with the Type R gears grinding more in 500 miles than I've grinded gears in the last decade lol.

Now to the not so fun part which is like you guys have mentioned. How do we get this to happen with the dealership so they don't think we're crazy or paranoid...

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Thats tough .. id take it to dealer anyway .. enough complaints and then honda will have to look into it. It sucks.. but by 3rd time around due to lemon law honda will def have to step in..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.