Status
Not open for further replies.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Seeing that it is so difficult tracking the defect in the traditional ways...
A possible way to debug this: use some vibration(and maybe temperature) transducers. Install them in key points like clutch, clutch cylinder, gearbox. You need also the signal acquisition board. Basically you need to correlate the events(clutch engagement...) with the signal characteristics. When the grind happens if you can spot a delay somewhere(compared to normal cases) you have a more precise insight of what happens.
Such investigations are carried out routinely in engineering(there are even diagnose systems based just on vibration/temperature characteristics). I don't understand why Honda doesn't do it. Transducers downside is that they are kind of expensive (couple of hundred $ each at least) due to rare materials used and precise manufacturing. You need to take care how you use/install them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

erickreds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 civic si
Since I got my car in July/June i forget. I had experienced this 2 bad gear grind occasionally . Until last Sunday when it happened again. This time really bad and I had the clutch in all the way; 2nd gear would not go in and did grind really loud. That happened on my way home as I came across a dip immediately after the incident , I could not put the car in 1st gear. I wouldn't go in. Long story short I took it to a dealer, couple days passed ; they said it was the fork selector/shifter. And they were going to be replacing the transmission. Today I get my car back with a new transmission .

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
They only released the 2017 in July as far as I’m aware, so where are the 2018’s being sold?
dealerships all over the place.. seen two or three pop up in Florida, a few more in Georgia.. bought mine from Georgia. They just hit the Brunswick port about 3-4 weeks ago.

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
dealerships all over the place.. seen two or three pop up in Florida, a few more in Georgia.. bought mine from Georgia. They just hit the Brunswick port about 3-4 weeks ago.
Yup, I am in New England and I have seen a several already on dealer lots and many more "in transit". In fact, my own in-transit PMM is scheduled to arrive today at the stealership (though possibly delayed for up to 5 business days).

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
Yup, I am in New England and I have seen a several already on dealer lots and many more "in transit". In fact, my own in-transit PMM is scheduled to arrive today at the stealership (though possibly delayed for up to 5 business days).
yeah, mine was delayed by about a week as well from when they said it 'should be there'.

that being said, every single 2018 is getting snapped up immediately so that's why it may appear like nobody has any.. also a lot of dealerships probably don't bother advertising it on cars.com or what have you until they actually arrive, I know of a few that do that

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
yeah, mine was delayed by about a week as well from when they said it 'should be there'.

that being said, every single 2018 is getting snapped up immediately so that's why it may appear like nobody has any.. also a lot of dealerships probably don't bother advertising it on cars.com or what have you until they actually arrive, I know of a few that do that
Up here, a good number of 2018 CTR is available, because apparently no one is thinking of buying a sports car in December in New England (except yours truly and few others). The majority of dealers are asking $40K, and a few would happily take $37K or $37.5K. No one selling for MSRP. I looked everywhere. In case anyone from other regions want to buy up here. I found that most of the 2018's here are red. Some black, blue and gray. Only a couple of white. Kinda weird.

Last edited:

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
How can you tell if a CTR is 2017 or 2018 model? I will get mine tomorrow but I have no idea what year it is. I'll ask the dealer anyway

Last edited:

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess I should post this video here. Be warned, it's a bit long winded, and I do repeat myself a couple of times, but it's only to make sure I get my points across. I am still getting the grind, though, and my newer videos do reflect this.

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan GTR 2017 Honda Type R 1989 Porsche C4
Country flag
if you can get a type r now get it

you can drive it for the next 2 years and i doubt you would lose any depreciation because of the uniqueness of the car. Also its top 3 best performance cars for 2018 lol ,[/
I guess I should post this video here. Be warned, it's a bit long winded, and I do repeat myself a couple of times, but it's only to make sure I get my points across. I am still getting the grind, though, and my newer videos do reflect this.

Hi guys..wanted to update my situation concerning my transmission crunch. I received a call from my dealer to inform me that my replacement transmission will arrive on Monday. They want to take the old one and ship it back to Japan for investigation. I will know when it arrives if it is an upgraded part. I really doubt it will be but you never know. I am extremely nervous about this process and have a feeling the car will not be the same afterward. Anybody know the process of replacing the transmission? Besides this issue, I can say my car is tight. No rattles, runs great, suspension just feels tight well put together. If the part number is the same would you replace it anyway? My car has been crunching for sometime now. I imagine there has to be some damage that has occurred but I have the extended factory warranty up to eight years as well. I could wait until the problem gets worse? Any thoughts from the more mechanically educated people?

TheBigG

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2017, Kia Optima Sportswagon GT 2017
Country flag
At the begining of this page "erikreds" wrote about his transmision replacement. Maby he can share some thoughts about it.

I would go for the replacement. I could not live with this problem...

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
At the begining of this page "erikreds" wrote about his transmision replacement. Maby he can share some thoughts about it.

I would go for the replacement. I could not live with this problem...
@erikreds can you share some info about your replacement tranny? any grind or crunches in the new tranny?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.