JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
My badge #3892 has been flawless, no grind in 2nd and no lock out from 5th to 4th. Feeling fortunate as my first CTR badge #1046 had the issue. Seems I've got lucky on this one. I hope Honda gets off their ass and takes care of those with this issue!
Sponsored

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
if you can get a type r now get it

you can drive it for the next 2 years and i doubt you would lose any depreciation because of the uniqueness of the car. Also its top 3 best performance cars for 2018 lol ,
Here in Europe I can place an order whenever I need, no ADM or other tactics. I received a quotation for March delivery for CW GT trim. It's ok for me not a big inconvenient. (for example for the new Porsche 718 it was 10 months last time I asked, normally other domestic brands quote a 3 months period).

But the market is different in Europe. It is dominated by domestic brands - mainly German. French ones come on a distant 2nd. By what I see around Honda has a smaller fan base/is less popular compared to North America. You can have a look on autoscout24.com for Civic Type R 2015-2017 (previous model). Lots of them sitting(10k off original price) although they are supposed to be more rare.
These standings were made based on some R&T criteria(handling, how fast they are on circuit...). They are nice to hear about, same for the Nurburgring lap record. However I have different criteria/expectations where reliability is nr 1. I won't be tracking the car/driving it at the limit anyway.

Last edited:

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
No 2018 yet the cars that just hit the lots this week are the final 2017s. From my understanding the sales manager who runs the dealership is able to request colors but is not guaranteed . I picked two colors and he told me either or will most likely come . There is no information right now for 2018 coming but he mentioned feb March is when they will arrive
I just closed a deal on a 2018 and will be getting it delivered to my house in the next week or so. It just arrived at the port about two or three days ago in Brunswick, GA.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
I just closed a deal on a 2018 and will be getting it delivered to my house in the next week or so. It just arrived at the port about two or three days ago in Brunswick, GA.
Heads up, mine came from the port, sat in a staging area for a couple weeks, then was delivered to my local dealer.

If they do anything like they did with the first wave, you might have a couple week wait.

Don't get frustrated with it, it's Honda controlling the delivery order, your dealer has nothing to do with it.

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
Heads up, mine came from the port, sat in a staging area for a couple weeks, then was delivered to my local dealer.

If they do anything like they did with the first wave, you might have a couple week wait.

Don't get frustrated with it, it's Honda controlling the delivery order, your dealer has nothing to do with it.
Thanks for the heads up, the dealership is in Georgia too and they said it's expected to be delivered by tomorrow or Friday. Guess we'll see! Either way, it seems this is probably the first wave of 2018s hitting the ground from what I've been able to find. I already checked the VIN to make sure the dealer wasn't being dumb and it is indeed 2018. Let's pray I don't run into this gear crunch issue..

PepsiJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
My car is #5441 and I’ve run into both issues. Grinded really bad into 2nd when i took my brother out for a drive last weekend. I thought at the time that I was driving it like I normally do, but naturally ended up assuming I had done something wrong as there was no other explanation. After reading through 25 pages of this issue and also noticing the 4th gear lockout happening also, I know better.

The car is around 2400 miles and thinking back the 2nd gear grind has probably happened a couple other times, but I only joined this forum recently and wouldn’t have thought it to be a mechanical issue had I not seen so many others with the same problem.

I’m ecstatic about this car and wouldn’t consider getting rid of it, but I definitely want to get it fixed. I’m a little worried about dealer cooperation though, because the techs there wanted the car when I bought it and a couple were upset that I got it ahead of them. So, I’m not sure the smoothest way to approach it.

Jaydubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TypeR
Country flag
My car is #5441 and I’ve run into both issues. Grinded really bad into 2nd when i took my brother out for a drive last weekend. I thought at the time that I was driving it like I normally do, but naturally ended up assuming I had done something wrong as there was no other explanation. After reading through 25 pages of this issue and also noticing the 4th gear lockout happening also, I know better.

The car is around 2400 miles and thinking back the 2nd gear grind has probably happened a couple other times, but I only joined this forum recently and wouldn’t have thought it to be a mechanical issue had I not seen so many others with the same problem.

I’m ecstatic about this car and wouldn’t consider getting rid of it, but I definitely want to get it fixed. I’m a little worried about dealer cooperation though, because the techs there wanted the car when I bought it and a couple were upset that I got it ahead of them. So, I’m not sure the smoothest way to approach it.
If I were a tech that wanted a Type R, i would also love the chance to work on it. You can also just go to another dealership, your Honda warranty can be used anywhere.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag

Ask if they have any certified Honda master techs, and ask for their best master tech to work on it only. It doesn't cost you any more.

If they don't have a master tech, go to a different dealer that has a master tech and have them work on it.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After 4 hours with two high up members of Honda today (very nice guys btw), I have one question to ask all of you - Are the guys with problems REALLY pursuing the issue? Apparently, there are very few issues reported to national Honda on these Type Rs, so I gotta say, WTF guys, be persistent, call weekly, show up to the dealer once every couple of weeks, let's get on Honda's radar!! Right now it feels like I'm the only loudmouth (thorn on their side) youtuber talking smack when there seems to be no issues...

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
my dealer rep is literally here right now. every time he shows up he asks me for updates and issues a field report on my vehicle.

dominican

Enthusiast YouTuber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Honda Prelude, 2002 Honda S2000, 2011 BMW 335d, 2017 Honda Civic Hatch WOP Sport M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my dealer rep is literally here right now. every time he shows up he asks me for updates and issues a field report on my vehicle.
Did you call Honda National yet? Somehow Honda national has only heard of VERY few cases (less than 5) so they don't think it's an issue.

Please call 1-800 999-1009, it's the only way, it seems, to get TSBs going on this.

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
If i was honda i wouldnt be telling a customer every car has a transmission problem and how big of an issue it is.. especially to a guy who loves to post on youtube about everything.. once its a tsb its widely known . I wouldnt be in a rush to expose that just yet if there wasn't a concrete fix yet.. just saying.

jdmorangefever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 eg, 17 type r, 16 crv
Country flag
Mine does not have the 2nd gear crunchbut does feel a little off at times and i do get the 4th gear lockout. The dealer just wrote it off as a no problem found. People complain but most dealers cant duplicate. At the time is so intermittent for me that im not stressing it . Its on record now. When it gets worse ill bring it in again. If mine was as bad as some of you then i would prob be more loud about it

OP
OP
Ruckus

Ruckus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R. 2012 Honda Ruckus. 2001 civic sedan. 2012 accord sedan.
Country flag
Did you call Honda National yet? Somehow Honda national has only heard of VERY few cases (less than 5) so they don't think it's an issue.

Please call 1-800 999-1009, it's the only way, it seems, to get TSBs going on this.
nah man ive just been dealing with honda techline directly, the guys who actually get shit handled. and my dealer rep who has been documenting everything and sending in the field reports. but my situation is different than a normal customer, thanks for posting the number hopefully others will call. not surprised they are playing dumb, they wont come out and say yeah we have noticed that a lot of these cars are acting up

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
not surprised they are playing dumb, they wont come out and say yeah we have noticed that a lot of these cars are acting up
I agree. Even if they had a lot of people call, i don't think they would tell you that "Yeah, we have been getting a lot of calls regarding this issue"
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.