taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
Sadly it doesn't go away after breakin. Change the fluid at the dealer and you might be happier.. my car is in savagegeeses video, and I changed my fluid with OEM at the dealer, no more grinds. @dominican I just said screw it and paid $100 and got the fluid replaced because I'm too hurt by it grinding and thankfully it hasn't grinded since.. worth a shot..
Nice! Thanks for making the effort to get the car there for the shoot. How does it feel to have your car be part of one of the best/most comprehensive reviews for the CTR? Your car is famous!

Also, where really was Turbowski that day?
Sponsored

Kuba

First Name
Kuba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
I haven’t gotta any crunch on mine yet but I only got like 700 miles and not really shifting crazy yet on the car. Production #5447 so maybe the later ones are ok?
Mine is #5943 and it is not ok.

hafadaze

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R (#1106)
Country flag
Sadly it doesn't go away after breakin. Change the fluid at the dealer and you might be happier.. my car is in savagegeeses video, and I changed my fluid with OEM at the dealer, no more grinds. @dominican I just said screw it and paid $100 and got the fluid replaced because I'm too hurt by it grinding and thankfully it hasn't grinded since.. worth a shot..
How many miles in did you start noticing it and how many miles after the change of fluid have you been on? Also -- did the dealer do it for free?

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan GTR 2017 Honda Type R 1989 Porsche C4
Country flag
How many miles in did you start noticing it and how many miles after the change of fluid have you been on? Also -- did the dealer do it for free?
So yesterday I received the call..my dealership informed me that the replacement transmission is on its way from California and will be there within the week. I hope they are going to replace the clutch and any related parts as well. They will check the part numbers to see if anything has changed, but I am have a feeling it will be the same. My particular car has a really nasty crunch..really nasty and getting worse. I am really at a lose for words..feel somewhat car sick. So I replace it anyway? Seems like I have no choice. At least I got lucky at the dealership now with the change of personal to see a familiar face. It helps to get more accurate information I think. I will be asking many questions. Is there any resolution with Honda over the total destruction of our resale value due to the previously known issue that was not corrected? This is very frustrating for car lovers all over the world ...

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
So yesterday I received the call..my dealership informed me that the replacement transmission is on its way from California and will be there within the week. I hope they are going to replace the clutch and any related parts as well. They will check the part numbers to see if anything has changed, but I am have a feeling it will be the same. My particular car has a really nasty crunch..really nasty and getting worse. I am really at a lose for words..feel somewhat car sick. So I replace it anyway? Seems like I have no choice. At least I got lucky at the dealership now with the change of personal to see a familiar face. It helps to get more accurate information I think. I will be asking many questions. Is there any resolution with Honda over the total destruction of our resale value due to the previously known issue that was not corrected? This is very frustrating for car lovers all over the world ...
Sorry to hear about your issue but glad Honda is fixing it for free. I hope they fix it by the next wave of 2018s . This is one of the reasons why I am not buying a 17 and I could have bought one last week for msrp. I’m on a list so I don’t care about waiting, please let us know if the part number changes

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Nice! Thanks for making the effort to get the car there for the shoot. How does it feel to have your car be part of one of the best/most comprehensive reviews for the CTR? Your car is famous!

Also, where really was Turbowski that day?
No problem man, I wanted to take it to him and nobody else! It feels great. Turbowski really didn't want to come see it :( I think he didn't want to be disappointed by it so he stayed away to avoid disappointment..

taiso0019

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR | 2022 Veloster N | 2015 TuRD PRO
Country flag
No problem man, I wanted to take it to him and nobody else! It feels great. Turbowski really didn't want to come see it :( I think he didn't want to be disappointed by it so he stayed away to avoid disappointment..
That sucks but maybe that means he actually has a positive opinion of 10th gen Civic overall. I figured he would have been up for some color commentary at least. I wonder if he’s always in character...o_O

scot901sc

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi A4 allroad
Country flag
That sucks but maybe that means he actually has a positive opinion of 10th gen Civic overall. I figured he would have been up for some color commentary at least. I wonder if he’s always in character...o_O
Mine is a June build and I had my first redline 2nd gear crunch at 4,500 miles; the “R” has close to 5,000 on it now and have been slowing down the haste of the 1-2 shifts (not as much fun), and making sure the clutch pedal is completely to the floor as well with no further issues. I do consistently experience the 5th to 4th lockout on a daily basis and paint issues on the hood with about 4 separate four inch diameter circles that are slightly faded on the hood. Disappointing in all for a close to 40k out the door car. I never experienced front wheel drive transaxle issues with prior cars like my ‘87 Dodge Shelby CSX, ‘01 Acura Integra Type R (best of the lot) or ‘05 Dodge Srt-4 ACR.

Last edited:

Russgolfs

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1941 Chevrolet, 2017 Camaro ZL1
Country flag
Mine is a June build and I had my first redline 2nd gear crunch at 4,500 miles; the “R” has close to 5,000 on it now and have been slowing down the haste of the 1-2 shifts (not as much fun), and making sure the clutch pedal is completely to the floor as well with no further issues. I do consistently experience the 5th to 4th lockout on a daily basis and paint issues on the hood with about 4 separate four inch diameter circles that are slightly faded on the hood. Disappointing in all for a close to 40k out the door car. I never experienced front wheel drive transaxle issues with prior cars like my ‘87 Dodge Shelby CSX, ‘01 Acura Integra Type R (best of the lot) or ‘05 Dodge Srt-4 ACR.
Maybe this will help until a fix is out. For the last 10 years I've been skipping 2nd and 4th gear in my Matrix XRS. I knew about the tranny problem in the CTR before I bought it and decided to buy it anyway at $10K over MSRP because I skip 2nd gear anyway. Each time a gear grinds I gotta think that some metal particles are sent flying through the tranny and I would rather skip the gear and not risk further damage. The best solution is to actually tell new buyers to not buy the car. When sales stop, Honda will be forced to do something. One thing for sure that will happen when sales drop is that the ADM will disappear. It's so hard to not buy the car with its looks and performance though. Mine is #3279 and I've had it for 1 week. I've got about 65 miles on it. I do plan on using it for my daily driver also.

Kuba

First Name
Kuba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Do you garage your car ? What are your avg temps right now in poland
Yes, it is garaged, The temps are about 10 degrees (Celsius). But I cannot see any correlation between temperature (both outside and engine) and the issue.

Gfrank

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan GTR 2017 Honda Type R 1989 Porsche C4
Country flag
Yes, it is garaged, The temps are about 10 degrees (Celsius). But I cannot see any correlation between temperature (both outside and engine) and the issue.
My car started crunching at 50 miles and has been getting worse ever since. The dealer did change out the transmission fluid at their cost. I don't see any real difference. Fluid was also very clean upon inspection. Car has 3500 miles.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
Maybe this will help until a fix is out. For the last 10 years I've been skipping 2nd and 4th gear in my Matrix XRS. I knew about the tranny problem in the CTR before I bought it and decided to buy it anyway at $10K over MSRP because I skip 2nd gear anyway. Each time a gear grinds I gotta think that some metal particles are sent flying through the tranny and I would rather skip the gear and not risk further damage. The best solution is to actually tell new buyers to not buy the car. When sales stop, Honda will be forced to do something. One thing for sure that will happen when sales drop is that the ADM will disappear. It's so hard to not buy the car with its looks and performance though. Mine is #3279 and I've had it for 1 week. I've got about 65 miles on it. I do plan on using it for my daily driver also.
Sorry to hear that. Esp that you need to resort to these work-arounds on a high performance car.
I am from the possible buyers category(FK8 CTR is clearly 1st on my list). However due to these issues(gearbox, revmatch check engine light,...) I am delaying a possible purchase. I'm giving Honda 1-2 years to fix them. And if not I have other sweet options as well on my list (certified preowned Cayman, upcoming Impreza/Focus RS/Megane RS, M2). I'd buy a Cayman anytime (built from scratch as a sports car) instead of a marked-up FK8 CTR. Maybe on track is not as fast but the involvement/perfect balancing and driving atmosphere speak more for me than the previous FK2 CTR I tested.
Reliability is first criterion for me, no matter what car we're talking about. Esp because I'll be daily driving it.

CSIG1001

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 V6 6 SPEED COUPE ACCORD
Sorry to hear that. Esp that you need to resort to these work-arounds on a high performance car.
I am from the possible buyers category(FK8 CTR is clearly 1st on my list). However due to these issues(gearbox, revmatch check engine light,...) I am delaying a possible purchase. I'm giving Honda 1-2 years to fix them. And if not I have other sweet options as well on my list (certified preowned Cayman, upcoming Impreza/Focus RS/Megane RS, M2). I'd buy a Cayman anytime (built from scratch as a sports car) instead of a marked-up FK8 CTR. Maybe on track is not as fast but the involvement/perfect balancing and driving atmosphere speak more for me than the previous FK2 CTR I tested.
Reliability is first criterion for me, no matter what car we're talking about. Esp because I'll be daily driving it.
if you can get a type r now get it

you can drive it for the next 2 years and i doubt you would lose any depreciation because of the uniqueness of the car. Also its top 3 best performance cars for 2018 lol ,

Meat Hammer

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP Civic Type R #1464
Country flag
The “infamous second gear crunch” is an otherwise brilliant car’s Achilles’ heel. Here’s a video of the failed parts in one of our predecessors, the 8th gen Civic Si. If enough FK8 Civic Type R owners bring their cars in and complain, Honda might remedy (TSB) the issue and not wait 3+ years until the majority of CTR’s are miled and/or aged out of warranty coverage.

Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.