Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Summary of this thread is people to can't drive stick or beat the shit out of their cars have grinding issues...
More like, it's a legitimate problem with the transmission that almost everyone will eventually encounter. They will either learn how to drive around it, spend a while throwing fixes at it until it improves enough they can drive around it, or lastly, never learn and destroy the 2nd gear.

The fact we don't see more posts talking about a fully grenaded 2nd gear tells me the transmission is well built but inherently flawed when it comes to certain things.
Sponsored

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
i picked up my 2021 type r 9 days ago, at 210 miles it crunched 2nd gear, then later that day wouldn't go into 6th first try... ive driven stick most of my life, im 34, this car hasn't been over 3psi of boost or above 4500 rpm. i am breaking it in, being as gentle as i can. this transmission at the very least has quirks. but so has every other ive ever driven, none have been perfect.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
i picked up my 2021 type r 9 days ago, at 210 miles it crunched 2nd gear, then later that day wouldn't go into 6th first try... ive driven stick most of my life, im 34, this car hasn't been over 3psi of boost or above 4500 rpm. i am breaking it in, being as gentle as i can. this transmission at the very least has quirks. but so has every other ive ever driven, none have been perfect.
Iā€™m willing to bet your clutch pedal has too much free play and not enough pedal travel

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
Iā€™m willing to bet your clutch pedal has too much free play and not enough pedal travel
i read a decent amount of this thread, including watching your video, i thank you for doing that. but so far its only happened 1 time and im not really willing to mess with a brand new car like that just yet...

its a tough pill for me to swallow imagining honda messing up so many cars in such a simple way, yet its not impossible either... thanks again, if i deem this a problem worthy of a fix ill definitely try yours first, it makes more sense to me than the people claiming honda's using the wrong transmission fluid... thats for sure.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
i read a decent amount of this thread, including watching your video, i thank you for doing that. but so far its only happened 1 time and im not really willing to mess with a brand new car like that just yet...

its a tough pill for me to swallow imagining honda messing up so many cars in such a simple way, yet its not impossible either... thanks again, if i deem this a problem worthy of a fix ill definitely try yours first, it makes more sense to me than the people claiming honda's using the wrong transmission fluid... thats for sure.
Its a simple adjustment made to the clutch master cylinder rod made right at the pedal. Its basically a must, as the cars seems to be leaving the factory with really poor adjustment made.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

I see where you're coming from, but I view it as making the car right insead if messing with it. A lot of Type Rs had bad alignments from the factory too. That's not something you'd let slide just bc it came from the factory that way, it needs to be corrected, just like a poorly adjusted clutch pedal. It's not triple OG Japanese dudes handcrafting these cars in JDMland, it's factory workers in London trying to keep the assembly like going (no shade).

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah the clutch pedal adjustment is the one step I'd suggest anyone encountering the issue regularly and early on try. Factory cars tend to shoot for a very "near the floor" engagement point so it's worth trying.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 CW Type R
Country flag
or that Honda builds a mediocre tranny....same shit as the FG/FA Si's, same shit as the EM Si's
I owned those cars too and never had tranny issues.

More like, it's a legitimate problem with the transmission that almost everyone will eventually encounter. They will either learn how to drive around it, spend a while throwing fixes at it until it improves enough they can drive around it, or lastly, never learn and destroy the 2nd gear.

The fact we don't see more posts talking about a fully grenaded 2nd gear tells me the transmission is well built but inherently flawed when it comes to certain things.
Except the number of people with tranny grinds is extremely minute so your hypothesis of a flaw doesn't pan out. I'll say the throw between 17-19 and 20+ shifter makes the tranny much smoother but I don't believe the transmission is flawed as you say. If this were the case the grind issue would be mentioned in numerous reviews. I think I've seen 1 reviewer on YouTube experience a grind.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are posting in a 117 page thread where hundreds of people who regularly drive stick and performance cars have reported an inexplicable grind from 1st to 2nd, but we've established you're a shifting Superman Johnny, who never has problems and it's totally everyone's fault, why not go jerk off somewhere else now?

Nobody has time to link you to every YouTube review that mentions it. Good luck with your diamond hands, tool.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
You are posting in a 117 page thread where hundreds of people who regularly drive stick and performance cars have reported an inexplicable grind from 1st to 2nd, but we've established you're a shifting Superman Johnny, who never has problems and it's totally everyone's fault, why not go jerk off somewhere else now?

Nobody has time to link you to every YouTube review that mentions it. Good luck with your diamond hands, tool.
Probably one of those guys who has 1500 miles on his 2018 and pulls it out every Sunday to wash it then put it back in the garage, like my boomer neighbor does with his C4 Corvette ?

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag

Sell your car, clearly you are the diamond hands superman that knows when a transmission is bad or good.

Just because someone drives manual regularly does not in anyway mean they are good at it, or even understand the a quirk in a transmission, they instead just keep repeating the same poor habits in a never ending cycle of chaos.

I don't say this to discredit any who actually have an issue mind you, I do believe some may have said issue, but the vast majority of people that report something are causing the issue themselves by shifting poorly.

Not to mention, if it is "hundreds" of people that have this issue like you claim, that's still a extremely minor amount of owners. I bet if you counted the "hundreds" of people on this "117" page thread (116), you might end up with a hundred.

Last edited:

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 CW Type R
Country flag

Too bad the joke is on you. Enjoy dealing with the gear grinds an eventual bill to correct it. :D. Iā€™ll go about my GRIND FREE DAY now.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Too bad the joke is on you. Enjoy dealing with the gear grinds an eventual bill to correct it. :D. Iā€™ll go about my GRIND FREE DAY now.
I was pretty clear that the fix is "just stop doing it" but it's pretty obvious you can barely read. When there isn't a problem, there isn't a topic. This topic, with over a thousand replies, didn't come from nowhere. It's here because this transmission allows the user to move the gear select lever, in many situations, faster than the gear likes. That's a design flaw, stop acting like a child.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.