amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
The Civic Si forum may not be the best place to post this, but here I go anyway. I find the ignorance of so called "professional" car reviewers to be very astonishing. I was watching the latest Redline Reviews Youtube video review of the Civic Type R and Golf R. It was more of a comparison, but he kept making comments about why are the tires too wide, the wing being too big, and my biggest pet peeve....comments about the "third" exhaust pipe and why did they add it.

This fricken car came out in 2017. It should be common knowledge by now that the "third" exhaust pipe is not an exhaust pipe, but a resonator to prevent drone at certain RPM's. The oversized or overstyled wing is in fact a functional part of the design, as is the 20" tires, and yes, even the fake vents are designed for optimal aerodynamics. A knowledgeable person who reviews cars for a living should know that this car was built for performance, and you remove or change any of those components and you've thrown the car off balance. But the thing that really got me was how he liked the synthesized engine sound piped into the cabin of the Golf R over the real sound of the CTR engine.

People like Sofyan Bey and Doug DeMuro make their living as professional car reviewers, yet their lack of knowledge and ignorance on a car they are reviewing that has been around for over two years is just astounding. Anyway, I am done venting, you can check out his latest review on youtube
Sponsored

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Did they mention that you can't even really see the wing when you are driving the CTR? For all of the commotion that thing causes among reviewers, I rarely, if ever, hear anyone say you can't even see the goddamn thing.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did they mention that you can't even really see the wing when you are driving the CTR? For all of the commotion that thing causes among reviewers, I rarely, if ever, hear anyone say you can't even see the goddamn thing.
I own an Si, but admire the Type R, and it is probably the most misrepresented and misunderstood car. I remember when it first came out reviewers like Doug DeMuro were laughing at the "third exhaust". If they just did a Google Search they would would know that is not what it is. The Type R is the fastest front-wheel drive car because of it's design, but for some reason they don't get it. I guess they rather have artificial engine noise piped in the cabin

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well... that's why I prefer instrumented tests. Objective data is of more value to me. I do put some value in a subjective assessment... but if someone has totally different tastes than you, then they'd dismiss things that you'd place emphasis on. Since pretty much ever car reviewer is a stranger I've never had a conversation with, I don't know what their likes/dislikes are. I watched the redline review that came out a few months for the GLI. Seems like a good car... and comparisons were made with Civics. I took from a lot of what was said, the guy had a preference for VWs in general... and that's ok. On a 15 minute video where the guy is basically telling you his feelings on a car, with a few facts he remembered from the manufacturer or an instrumented test to justify his feelings... there's sometimes pretty little substance to what's being said. I still think redline gives a good look over a car, inside and out.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When I'm researching a car, I read as much as possible by as many different review sources as possible. I know reviews are subjective and sometimes reviewers have a bias. But if something gets mentioned repeatedly (a complaint or something) by all reviewers, I take that to heart. No one should buy a car based on a single review source.

Even in terms of performance, instrumented tests often vary widely. So again, the more sources the better in terms of making an educated decision.

One of the funny things about buying a car for me is that most of the time I know more about the car than the car dealer. ;)

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well... that's why I prefer instrumented tests. Objective data is of more value to me. I do put some value in a subjective assessment... but if someone has totally different tastes than you, then they'd dismiss things that you'd place emphasis on. Since pretty much ever car reviewer is a stranger I've never had a conversation with, I don't know what their likes/dislikes are. I watched the redline review that came out a few months for the GLI. Seems like a good car... and comparisons were made with Civics. I took from a lot of what was said, the guy had a preference for VWs in general... and that's ok. On a 15 minute video where the guy is basically telling you his feelings on a car, with a few facts he remembered from the manufacturer or an instrumented test to justify his feelings... there's sometimes pretty little substance to what's being said. I still think redline gives a good look over a car, inside and out.
I prefer Savagegeese or Throttle House, and sometimes Straightpipes, more entertaining

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer Savagegeese or Throttle House, and sometimes Straightpipes, more entertaining
Savagegeese and Straightpipes are both excellent in terms of performance info. For basic information about a car, Alex On Autos is really solid.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah... I more of a cold numbers guy. Engineering Explained is entertaining to me... because it's a numbers/concepts show. When he gets out and drives the car... I skip ahead. Motortrend did a good mix of subjective commentary during an objective test that I thought was balanced somewhat. I still like watching the classic reviews to see how far cars have come even in my lifetime. I loved Z31s when I was younger and owned 2. To see their (now) mediocre performance by today's standards, it's pretty laughable. If not for some more boost and mods, even my Z32 would be matched by the average engine-optioned family car.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Savagegeese and Straightpipes are both excellent in terms of performance info. For basic information about a car, Alex On Autos is really solid.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention Alex On Autos. When buying a car, most of my research is reading, than Youtube reviewers, when I want to see the car in action

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah... I more of a cold numbers guy. Engineering Explained is entertaining to me... because it's a numbers/concepts show. When he gets out and drives the car... I skip ahead. Motortrend did a good mix of subjective commentary during an objective test that I thought was balanced somewhat. I still like watching the classic reviews to see how far cars have come even in my lifetime. I loved Z31s when I was younger and owned 2. To see their (now) mediocre performance by today's standards, it's pretty laughable. If not for some more boost and mods, even my Z32 would be matched by the average engine-optioned family car.
I remember the Motortrend show, it used to come on Saturdays back in the late 80's and 90's. Now your making me feel old

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I own an Si, but admire the Type R, and it is probably the most misrepresented and misunderstood car. I remember when it first came out reviewers like Doug DeMuro were laughing at the "third exhaust". If they just did a Google Search they would would know that is not what it is. The Type R is the fastest front-wheel drive car because of it's design, but for some reason they don't get it. I guess they rather have artificial engine noise piped in the cabin
F Doug Demuro. His reviews are pure trash. He doesn’t deserve to be as famous as he is. Unfortunately, his fans are pure sheep. He also has one of the most annoying voices out there.

As for the Redline Review, I did catch that one last night. I do like Sofyan, however at some points he can be overly critical where it shouldn’t matter.

There are some videos where his overly critical nature bites him in the ass and makes him look like a fool. I also do not like his argument about Honda Sensing and AWD not being included.

As a Si owner you should watch his Si review when it first came out. I was shocked; he was a bit harsh on it if I’m being honest.

I love the Straight Pipes and Savagegeese as well, along with Throttle House and Engineering Explained. I also enjoy Raitis Rides because he has an aura of energy about him that makes it entertaining to watch. Are they the most engaging videos, eh, I find myself skipping about sometimes, but I still enjoy them.

As a Type R owner I agree with your consensus that this car is so misunderstood. Everyone bags on its looks, it’s drivetrain, so forth and so forth but no one actually realizes how special the Type R is.

Oh well. The ones who know definitely know what the Type R truly is like.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of classic reviews of classic cars, you guys will get a kick out of Motorweek's review of the 1999 Civic Si. Check out the long throws on that shifter.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Speaking of classic reviews of classic cars, you guys will get a kick out of Motorweek's review of the 1999 Civic Si. Check out the long throws on that shifter.

That's what the show was called...Motorweek! I used to watch this show religiously

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I mean I get car reviewers can have weird standards or criticisms, but just because they don't like a car you like doesnt make them less credible :dunno:. Cars are subject to personal preference at the end of the day and it'll show in every review regardless of how objective they are trying to be (unless its just a fact sheet of numbers). I dont think any review i've seen on the Type R (besides doug's) has discounted its performance...ever. I just think stuff like its polarizing looks, its underwhelming exhaust note, and fake vents and stuff are genuine criticisms. If every car review had the same verdict and criticisms that would be worse imo.

That being said, I do feel like the straight pipes and redline and really good channels compared to most. I watch doug mostly for entertainment and just looking at weird quirks of random cars, not necessarily for a "review". His take on the Type R was overly aggressive and it seemed the car struck a nerve for him, but I agree with the stuff like giant plastic fake vents that don't do anything along with the rest of the flamboyant styling. They could have done without it in a lot of areas, and just kept the stuff that mattered.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
F Doug Demuro. His reviews are pure trash. He doesn’t deserve to be as famous as he is. Unfortunately, his fans are pure sheep. He also has one of the most annoying voices out there.

As for the Redline Review, I did catch that one last night. I do like Sofyan, however at some points he can be overly critical where it shouldn’t matter.

There are some videos where his overly critical nature bites him in the ass and makes him look like a fool. I also do not like his argument about Honda Sensing and AWD not being included.

As a Si owner you should watch his Si review when it first came out. I was shocked; he was a bit harsh on it if I’m being honest.

I love the Straight Pipes and Savagegeese as well, along with Throttle House and Engineering Explained. I also enjoy Raitis Rides because he has an aura of energy about him that makes it entertaining to watch. Are they the most engaging videos, eh, I find myself skipping about sometimes, but I still enjoy them.

As a Type R owner I agree with your consensus that this car is so misunderstood. Everyone bags on its looks, it’s drivetrain, so forth and so forth but no one actually realizes how special the Type R is.

Oh well. The ones who know definitely know what the Type R truly is like.
I did see his review on the 2017 Si, I felt it was extremely bias and off base. If I based my decision on his review I would not have bought it. He was criticizing how quiet it was? Huh? How it didn't rev to holy hell. Sigh. The Civic Type R was not designed to look like a boy racer or overstyled...it was designed for performance. Everything from the flaring fenders to the large wing were engineered for performance, to prevent torque steer, to make it the FWD king of the track without having to use AWD, which would have made it heavier and more expensive. I've never driven one, but from what I have read and seen is enough to make me an admirer
Sponsored