amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I am new to this forum, and the reason I am writing this post is due to some negative posts from Civic Si owners I have read. I am by no means an expert on cars, I don't have a degree in engineering nor am I a mechanic, most of my knowledge of cars comes from 30 years of owning and driving various cars, reading, and of course Google! I believe that a lot of people have a fundamental misunderstanding of the Si. Before I get into that, let me give some of my background.

I have always loved and been fascinated by cars. To me, they are an engineering marvel. We were a VW family, and in my early years in the 1980's, I drove and owned several VW's, from the Dasher, to the Rabbit GTI. In the 90's I moved on to a Mercedes 1976 280S. I can tell you, German cars drive great, but they need constant maintenance, which is not cheap. Because of this and the fact that I did not have much money at the time, I learned to work on my own cars (as long as it wasnt an engine rebuild!). I eventually got a loan from my dad and started buying cars from dealer auctions to sell, and here is where I had a lot of exposure to many different cars. I did this for a few years while I was finishing college.

I eventually got a real job, and in 1995 decided to trade in my 1990 Chevy Cavalier Z24 for a 1995 Toyota Corolla. This is when I learned what a real car was. Let me make a long story short, Toyotas last, they don't break down, and I have owned nothing but Toyotas since then. In fact, the Corolla stayed in my family until 3 years ago when my nephew traded in for $8000 credit (cash for clunkers) towards a Toyota Prius, and it was still running great!

Now on to the reason I am writing this, the Civic Si. Except for the occasional Honda I picked up in auctions to sell, I have never owned a Honda, so I am not writing this as a Honda enthusiast. My other car which I was driving since 2006 is a Toyota Camry SE V6. I would love to write about this car, but it would take up to many pages. My daughter started college and needed a car. Instead of buying her a used one, I decided to give her my Camry and buy a new Camry SE. I had already test drove it and was going to buy it right before my daughters school starts when I saw a Civic Sports hatch. The car looked really practical and sort of cool looking, was inexpensive so I began to do some research, which led me to the Civic Si.

I have never researched a car as extensively as I did the Si. Where can you find a car that is reliable, practical, fuel efficient and fun? That has a 6 speed MT, limited Diff, and adjustable dampers? All that, and under $24K?

This car is fast, but make no mistake, it is not a race car, or a track car. It can't beat the Subaru WRX or the Ford Focus ST (both cars at least $10 to $15K more expensive), it can't compete the muscle cars, but that is not what it was built for. It was built for someone looking to drive something practical and fun without breaking the bank. It was designed for an enthusiast customizing it thru the aftermarket to get more performance if they so desire.

Yes, there are some annoying things about this car, such as the infotainment (don't get me started), the lack of HVAC buttons as well as no volume button, the sometimes notchy gear shifts, and the faux plastic "vents". But I can forgive those things, because this car offers so much for so little. People complain about the power, but for everyday driving, it really has all the power you need. I have taken this car on 4 trips between Northern California and Southern California (360 miles), and if anyone has been on highway 152 or highway 5 on the Grapevine, the very steep inclines don't even slow the car down, passing slower traffic is effortless. At 80 or 90 mph, the cabin is very quiet, with only some occasional road noise when the pavement gets rough.

Some people have mentioned that going into high RPM's can be unpleasant. The solution I have found for this was to switch from the factory fill 0W20 to fully synthetic 0W30. After switching weights, going into the high RPM range is smooth and quiet. Now I know that this is probably going to create another discussion, but let me just say that using 0W20 is perfectly alright, this grade will protect the engine in most driving conditions

Honda has built the Si over the years to be a practical, fun and economical car without compromising quality. If you really want to get more detailed information on this car, please check out the Savagegeese Youtube channel, he does a detailed video breaking down this car, which really gave me an appreciation and respect for this car
Sponsored

Last edited:

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you really want to get more detailed information on this car, please check out the Savagegeese Youtube channel, he does a detailed video breaking down this car, which really gave me an appreciation of this car
Couldn't agree more!

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What are the misconceptions and the negative posts you read about?
Let me clarify that statement. There are various posts where the responses in the post were negative, not the posts themselves. An example would be complaining the Si is slow or does not match up to a car like a Subaru WRX. These were from actual Si owners. I justed wanted to point out that the purpose or mission of this car is different from cars like the Ford Focus or Subaru WRX

unholy79

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R, 2023 Indian Sport Chief
Country flag
Good writeup, I needed a fun daily driver to keep miles off my truck, that was also easy to park at the train station. Nearly 2k miles on the odometer and it's by far one of the most fun cars I've owned. That being said - I watched the review video by Savagegeese, while it was a good review, someone needs to get that man a Red Bull. After watching it for 25 minutes I had the overwhelming urge to take a nap.

I'm likely going to start messing around with it in the spring... tuner / intake / exhaust - nothing extravagant just a little more fun. It's a good solid car that is as advertised.

JoYu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type R
Country flag
...That being said - I watched the review video by Savagegeese, while it was a good review, someone needs to get that man a Red Bull. After watching it for 25 minutes I had the overwhelming urge to take a nap.
Give him a chance. By far the best YouTube reviewer out there imho.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good writeup, I needed a fun daily driver to keep miles off my truck, that was also easy to park at the train station. Nearly 2k miles on the odometer and it's by far one of the most fun cars I've owned. That being said - I watched the review video by Savagegeese, while it was a good review, someone needs to get that man a Red Bull. After watching it for 25 minutes I had the overwhelming urge to take a nap.

I'm likely going to start messing around with it in the spring... tuner / intake / exhaust - nothing extravagant just a little more fun. It's a good solid car that is as advertised.
I like the Savagegeese reviews because he really gets into the technical details of cars. So I'm a nerd!

Fazzster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord 2.0T Sport Manual, 2020 Odyssey EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What drives me nuts is how the lack of a volume knob is such a big deal. Every reviewer comments on this. It's become a hysteria. I swear its a group think phenomenon with these journalist. Just use the steering wheel control. You should have you eyes on the road and hands on the wheel anyway. It is just not a problem for me. What is a problem is no spare tire.

Paprocjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Country flag
Having owned the latest generation WRX for 3 years I can't really describe how excited I am to pick up a 2019 Civic SI. They are in completely different tiers but the reliability that comes with Honda and the culture are leaps and bounds ahead of Subaru. I loved my WRX but I am ready to not have a new headache every 4 months.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What drives me nuts is how the lack of a volume knob is such a big deal. Every reviewer comments on this. It's become a hysteria. I swear its a group think phenomenon with these journalist. Just use the steering wheel control. You should have you eyes on the road and hands on the wheel anyway. It is just not a problem for me. What is a problem is no spare tire.
You are correct, lack of a volume knob is no big deal, but lack of HVAC controls without having to go into the screen does suck. Having to switch into the screen to control the fan while driving is a big distraction

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
It's apparently a big enough deal that Honda said, "Doh, our bad" and reintroduced it in 2019. It's a legitimate complaint; enough so that even car enthusiast websites (think Motor Trend, Car and Driver, etc.... I'm NOT endorsing them; just using them as an example) wonder what Honda was thinking going to an all-touchscreen interface. I've been test-driving several different cars lately as I'm thinking about moving on from my Si coupe. They ALL had a volume knob... even the higher-end models. The Infotainment system in the Si is really the only thing holding the Si back from being damn near a perfect car. And Honda listened to its customers (and the media) by bringing it back.

The only problem is that there's a bunch of us out there now that wish we had the updated interface, but sure as hell ain't trading in a car just for a volume knob. I'm hoping Honda was at least smart enough to make the interface interchangeable with older models, but it's looking like that's not the case. Fingers crossed we can buy one and do a direct swap.
Sponsored