The car I should get is a WRX or a Tacoma. Change my mind.

1. remc86007

remc86007 Senior Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    2018 Civic Type R
    I've heard of way too many problems with the WRX to recommend it; which is a shame because on paper it seems like a great car for people like you. The fact that you are considering a truck at all seems like reason enough to not get a Type R. The R is a polar opposite vehicle from a truck. I've driven Tacomas as well as other trucks and I can never imagine myself using one as a daily driver without a sports car of some sort on the side. Many people are not like me though and don't mind forgoing a fun driving experience in the name of more utility.

If you are young and looking to save money and go on trips, I'd recommend you check out the Civic Hatch and consider the Hondata flash if you want a little more power.

2. ayau

ayau Senior Member

Car(s):
    Subaru
    Did you by chance pump 91? The car is very sensitive to lower octane gas and will pull timing immediately to prevent knock. The owners manual says that 87 is OK to use, so the knock sensors are very sensitive. The WRX really needs 93 to run properly.

3. ayau

ayau Senior Member

Car(s):
    Subaru
    What problems specifically? All cars have problems, even the CTR. The fact that a small amount of CTR owners are getting their transmission replaced isn't something I'd overlook. No car is perfect.

I currently own both a 15+ WRX and the CTR. I don't have any issues bashing either cars.

4. MonkeyConQueso

MonkeyConQueso Senior Member

Systems Engineer
    First Name:
    Armand
    Car(s):
    2017 CTR
    93 (Charlotte, NC) & 92 (Seattle, WA). Basically the highest octane I could find in both locations and it happened in both places. If the knock sensors were going nuts, one would think that a datalog pull would show that? (I honestly don't know, it's not a rhetorical question).

The specifics were, give it a smooth application of gas, and let the clutch out smoothly & fully. When the issue arose, throttle input would do nothing to adjust fuel delivery, thus causing the car to creep along. This happened while warm, cold, full tank, low tank, etc... "resolving" it would mean pushing the clutch back in, blipping the throttle hard, then accelerating like normal again which would work. The only times I could make it not happen was to jam the throttle to ~2500RPM, and slip the clutch to get a smooth launch. Doing that always was not comfortable.

This made pulling from intersections, drive ways, and stop and go traffic an miserable experience when it happened.

P.S.: I didn't sell the WRX because I hated it, I sold it because my ex was on the loan and figured instead of getting a used-car refinance, I'd just clear out of the car entirely as it made more financial sense from an interest standpoint. I didn't realize how bad the transmission treated me normally until I stepped in the CTR. Traffic in it is just so much easier to handle. I just don't miss the WRX.

5. xpimpindistressx

xpimpindistressx Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Tacoma Offroad
    why ask stupid questions?!?!?!?!?!?!?

6. OP
    OP
    spyder93090

spyder93090 I'm here to kick names and take ass.

Pediatric Trauma RN
    First Name:
    Jared
    Car(s):
    2018 Championship White Type R #20034
    Sorry for the late replies guys, been working the past couple of days! First off, I'm overwhelmed at the replies of this forum, lots of wisdom and overall genuine help here.

I've test driven all of them! I liked the WRX but I didn't love it, the interior was SO lacking when compared to the CTR or even just a regular Civic for that matter. I liked all of the "luxury" (unnecessary) features like leather, heated seats, adaptive headlights etc. but overall, it just didn't put a grin on my face like the CTR did. The Stinger seemed like a good option but I'm looking to get a good old-fashioned MT before they start getting phased out by CVT. I'm also partial to Japanese cars and aesthetically, it is definitely badass but it the design seems "off".

I recently just did Zion and I did Yosemite last year and I feel like a CTR would've done fine. And yeah, I would probably pick the CTR over and over. Again, no snow in San Diego (although it rains every so often). And the Tacoma would really seem of most help with MTB and during long-hauls. I just drove the Tacoma yesterday and compared to my Civic, the windshield seems so damn small and parking was definitely cumbersome. I did dig the overall utility aspect and the massive clearance - didn't have to think twice about dips or potholes.

Yeah, from my experience with WRX/STis so far, it seems like the "nitty gritty" option out of all the hot hatches given it's rally inspiration. I used to like that but after seeing the CTR (and all other Civics) and the GTI, the interior just makes you wanting more.

Yeah, definitely another reason why I wouldn't buy an STi right now. That EJ is definitely on its way out and my buddy with a 2017 STi Limited is averaging about 14-16 mpg on his. Coming from my '07 Civic with 29/35 (I think).

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the all the good insight. I've heard WRXs are good for the most mart but it's not unheard of to get a "miss".

Yeah, I've accepted that fact so far. Honda of Mission Valley is still doing auctions and Ball Honda in National City is doing $4k ADM; Subaru isn't revising the WRX/STi until MY2020/21. I've got time lol.

Thanks for pitting my two exact cars I'm considering, I figured there would be at least one. I literally feel the exact same way (just from test driving).

Luckily, I have gotten to test drive it. It was on a Ford lot, got traded in for an RS. Had 900 miles on it so what was a couple more? Especially when they were asking for $42k for it ...

And THANKS for that image, I'm definitely gonna need a rack and this is the first image I've seen with one on! Stoked.

Thanks for the offer but I would rather not have to replace your clutch, haha. Luckily I've already test driven in which was got me into this conundrum in the first place. Do you drive a AEB or RR by any chance?

7. randmtsk

randmtsk Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Car(s):
    2018 Agean Blue Civic Type R || 2015 DGM STi - Sold || 2000 Silverstone s2000 - Sold
    Really it comes down to budget an availability. The Sti and Type R are both fun cars. Can't go wrong with either.

Type R is lighter, has a lighter clutch, taller gears, and more tech
    STi is AWD with amazing aftermarket support and still has an easy to drive transmission.

8. OP
    OP
    spyder93090

Pediatric Trauma RN
    First Name:
    Jared
    Car(s):
    Thanks for the insight. This is pretty much my mentality of why I'm steadily drifting away from the WRX. I would like to think I would pony up the cash and ship the car - I think my employers would cover it. So yeah, probably ship and fly, in theory.

Damn, yeah, I've always heard of Subaru's reliability but the WRX seems to miss that mark more than the others, probably due to what kind of situations WRX drivers put the car through. Yeah, I drove a Tacome the other day, I'd love the use of it but I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it as a car for DD (large, gas, small windshield IMO etc.). Also, I'd be the guy with the truck so on top of the medical advice questions I get on occasion, I'd probably get asked to move a couple couches.

Dragnet thanked this.
  9. OP
    OP
    spyder93090

Pediatric Trauma RN
    First Name:
    Jared
    Car(s):
    Yeah, I thought I was prime market for the WRX but it seems like those are maybe 7-10 days out of the year. I'd spend most of my time just doing everyday driving so I feel like I'd rather be in a CTR than an outdated WRX.

Yep, seems about right. #1 is what's really driving my decision. That and the notorious insurance premiums I've heard about.

Irony.

10. Dragnet

Dragnet Senior Member

First Name:
    Joe
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
    Bad thing about being a male nurse... you get asked to move all the patients. Happened to me almost every night I worked at the hospital.

11. ayau

ayau Senior Member

Car(s):
    Subaru
    WRX is comparable to the Civic Si, or did you mean the Sti?

Between Sti and Type R? Type R.

A new Sti with brand new engine and chassis is just around the corner.

12. OP
    OP
    spyder93090

Pediatric Trauma RN
    First Name:
    Jared
    Car(s):
    I personally consider the WRX closer to the CTR than the Si. The Si just seems like a marginally updated Civic. Whereas the WRX and STis are completely separate beasts from the Imprezas. But I get the hierarchy is similar, if not identical.

Yeah, that's another factor. I don't know if I can wait another 2 years for the Global Platform STi or WRX. It would have to be this August if I were to even consider it but there haven't been any spy shots of any sort.

13. ayau

ayau Senior Member

Car(s):
    Subaru
    Subaru has been using the same STI motor since 2004, what's another 2 more years of waiting? lol

When cars start pushing over 300hp, AWD is able to put down the power a lot easier on street tires. You really have to get the CTR tires warm to get the maximum front end grip, and those OEM tires are relatively easy to warm up compared to some aggressive summer tires in the market.

The CTR will always feel more nimble due to the fact that it's lighter. Both cars have the positives. I'm hoping the next STI will give the CTR a run for its money.

14. TonyD

TonyD Senior Member

Engineer
    First Name:
    Tony
    Car(s):
    Rallye Red Type R
    Its been "just around the corner" for YEARS. I had a 2012 and was told then that the 2014 would be new. Then they release the next gen in 2015 and while the chassis was new-ish the drivetrain was the same. Now they keep releasing teaser special editions with no motor changes.

IF they ever release an STI with a new motor and a significant changes AND bring back the hatch then I will definitely have a look. My STI had some issues but it was a billy goat in snow and accepted mods so easily.

15. Ripper3785

Ripper3785 Senior Member

Car(s):
    '18 WOP EX-L Sedan CVT
    Wait for the 2019 model, it comes with a factory installed snorkel!

Zooropa82 thanked this.