Test Drove 2020 Hyundai Veloster N with performance package

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove 2020 Hyundai Veloster N with performance package IMG_20190907_152347
Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove 2020 Hyundai Veloster N with performance package IMG_20190907_145956
I test dove Veloster N yesterday with a performance package which comes with 275 HP, ESD, summer tires and some bells and whistles. The clutch was great compared to our lightest Si clutch.

I liked the exhaust note of the car in sport+ mode it's awesome and ride quality is great. Hyundai is catching up the handling and performance department. The infotainment system is very informative and have lot of stuff to fiddle with for N custom mode. May be Honda should learn from them in that department

The only gripe is interior looks cheaper than other cheapest cars available in the market. If I compare interiors of Civic and N, I prefer Civic hands down. The space is also very less it's perfect for someone who is just using the car as a weekend fun toy and have a back up car for doing errands like grocery shopping. This car can't be used as a daily in my opinion with that limited space in the cabin

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Good review until the space part. It certainly is usable as a daily driver. It's just not a family car or replacing the family SUV for cargo space.

For actual driving, why wouldn't it be a good daily driver? The specs I've seen on things like front leg room don't look bad at all. It's less roomy than a Civic but that's expected since it's a smaller car.

Maybe xbbnx can chime in here since he test drove it as well.

Last edited:

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I test drove one (Veloster Turbo, NOT the N), before testing and buying my Si.

I totally concur with the assessment above ... Nice clutch, decent power and good grip.
I didn't play much with the infotainment system, or any custom settings.
Beyond cheap and crappy interior ... and it felt like I was driving a coffin.
The interior space was WAY more cramped than the Si, and the seats were good ... but in NO way comparable to the Si seats. I realized that the "snugness" that I felt in the Veloster Turbo was a lack of cabin space, instead of well bolstered seats.

I'm super happy with my Si, and all of the good driving feelings that it gives me.

Boni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This is why I chose the Si over the ST and WRX. The interior absolutely blows them out. The only real competition is the GTI but unfortunately at this point it's an outdated one (looking forward to see the new one). The N looks cool and the specs are impressive.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
The problem I have with the veloster is the poor aftermarket support compared to the 10th Civic.
Is great for those who enjoy very light mods like a drop-in filter.

abracadaniel_

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si coupe pwp
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i love the exhaust note of this car but i really dont like the cheap feeling interior

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I test drove one (Veloster Turbo, NOT the N), before testing and buying my Si.

I totally concur with the assessment above ... Nice clutch, decent power and good grip.
I didn't play much with the infotainment system, or any custom settings.
Beyond cheap and crappy interior ... and it felt like I was driving a coffin.
The interior space was WAY more cramped than the Si, and the seats were good ... but in NO way comparable to the Si seats. I realized that the "snugness" that I felt in the Veloster Turbo was a lack of cabin space, instead of well bolstered seats.

I'm super happy with my Si, and all of the good driving feelings that it gives me.
Yes, turbo and N are different

OP
OP
saiko21

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Weird thing is dealer price marked the MSRP of $30,535+$5k. When I asked him why $5k his answer was it's limited edition and only a few are produced. :lol:.

Then he immediately came down to 29k when the MSRP was $30,535. I said sorry the interior feels too cheap and I don't want to pull trigger on it.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Europe gets a hatch version of the N, it's the i30 N. I'll be honest, if this was out in Canada and in 2017 when I got my Si I wouldn't have gotten the Si

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove 2020 Hyundai Veloster N with performance package Hyundaii30Ndynamicmain

Hyundai also teased the world with this concept, the i30 N Option, showcased at the Geneva Motor Show 2018..... HOLY SMOKES, this would've been the wildest hot hatch on the road!

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove 2020 Hyundai Veloster N with performance package n_obsyeonka_jeonceug_bugam180917_fdcg_1

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove 2020 Hyundai Veloster N with performance package n_obsyeonka_huceugmyeon180917_fdcg_1

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove 2020 Hyundai Veloster N with performance package n_obsyeonka_silnae180917_fdcg_1

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove 2020 Hyundai Veloster N with performance package luc_0296

Honda Civic 10th gen Test Drove 2020 Hyundai Veloster N with performance package luc_0294

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Same here... i30N or Elantra GT N or whatever they would call it in the states, I’d be all over it. I still hope the Si comes in hatchback form soon.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Good review until the space part. It certainly is usable as a daily driver. It's just not a family car or replacing the family SUV for cargo space.

For actual driving, why wouldn't it be a good daily driver? The specs I've seen on things like front leg room don't look bad at all. It's less roomy than a Civic but that's expected since it's a smaller car.

Maybe xbbnx can chime in here since he test drove it as well.
I agree with alot of his points but not all, specifically the clutch and practicality points. The clutch take-up I did not like at all, it was very abrupt and very hard to modulate. In fact, I stalled twice and I never really fully adjusted to it from a stop, but I'm sure if I owned it I'd eventually get used to it.

As far as practicality goes, I am about 6'2 in height and sat in the back out of curiosity. It was very tight, head was touching the roof and knees were pressed up the back of the seat in my front seating position. It would be fine in a pinch or for anyone less than 6ft though.

I also took a peek at the trunk, while small (compared to the civic hatch), you would have no problem going shopping or taking long road trips, bikes and stuff like that for adventurous folks might be a problem though.

Interior was very cheap feeling, reminded me of a 2010 ford focus, its really that plasticky..but I loved how easy it was to switch drive modes in the infotainment and steering controls on the fly and customize everything.

All in all, it is probably the most exciting car I have driven next to the 2019 Miata Club RF.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I hate how low the clutch engagement is on the hyundais. It’s like an inch off the floor. I was able to test a regular veloster N. The dealer seemed desperate to sell at msrp.

It was fun tho. Thing is fast and makes it to 60mph in 2nd gear. Terrible fuel economy if you drive it hard, But the crackles and pops from the exhaust are cool.
Sponsored

Last edited: