SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Gray Pearl ST Hatchback
Country flag
Upon closer scrutiny of the Tesla Model 3 wheels, I found out some interesting facts. Ever since the Model 3 owners started discovering the wheels that lie hidden beneath the flat 'Aero cover', I have been on a mission to find out if I could make them work on my 2017 Civic STH.
They are 5x114.3 pcd, so no issues there. They are also 64.1 mm centerbore, so hey! Honda centerbore! The only thing that had me questioning the fitment was the lug size that Tesla uses is, 14x1.5, whereas Honda is 12x1.5
So, in order to fill the extra space in the lug recess, I had to figure out a very wide base lugnut that would work with an OEM wheel. This proved to be challenging untill I realized that I was looking at the wheel as an OEM, and not 'after market'. Once I thought of it from this prospective, it became an easy hurdle. I found out that lugs that were 23-25mm (Volk Dura-Lug) had both the width and proper 60° base profile to work correctly. The only other question was conflict with the front brake caliper parts. The Tesla wheels are designed to clear their pretty large "Brembo-like" front calipers because the spoke profile allows for maximum clearance at the larger brake rotors diameter, but not close in towards the hub.
Purchased one wheel from a refurbishment house, and gave her a try. The clearance was very minimal (maybe 1.5-1.8 mm) but that is enough.
So, after trying various combinations of center caps, I have finally settled on this set up.
Wheels were $182 and change each from Tobacco Road on eBay. Specs are as follows: 18x8.5", 40mm
Honda Civic 10th gen Tesla wheels fit! IMG_20200201_154138288
Honda Civic 10th gen Tesla wheels fit! IMG_20200131_170035514

Honda Civic 10th gen Tesla wheels fit! IMG_20200120_121500651
View attachment 197294

Honda Civic 10th gen Tesla wheels fit! IMG_20200119_205347642

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really nice looking wheels and wider for more tire choices.

Hypermilers can add a set of aero hubcaps to save fuel. These will pay for themselves many times over. Just ignore the look.

Honda Civic 10th gen Tesla wheels fit! upload_2020-2-2_14-46-48

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Wow, never know the Tesla Model 3 wheels looks like *THAT* under those aero covers.
By the way, who is the manufacturer / OEM of those wheels?

OP
OP
SonicBreezerST160

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wow, never know the Tesla Model 3 wheels looks like *THAT* under those aero covers.
By the way, who is the manufacturer / OEM of those wheels?
Not sure of manufacturer, no name on wheels. They do say 'Made in Mexico' on the back however!:D

Last edited:

KYRGYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic LX, 18 Model X 100D
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I was thinking doing it myself, almost got 20 inch Model X wheels for my Odyssey, but those were heavy af, 32 lb each.... what tire size did you get? they do look nice

OP
OP
SonicBreezerST160

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was thinking doing it myself, almost got 20 inch Model X wheels for my Odyssey, but those were heavy af, 32 lb each.... what tire size did you get? they do look nice
The 18x8.5's came in at 22.1lbs each, and I have 235/40's on them, Michelin X-Ice.

Dawsfc3

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
Damn someone beat me too it. Was slowly collecting model 3 rims from work

OP
OP
SonicBreezerST160

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Damn someone beat me too it. Was slowly collecting model 3 rims from work
You can still do them, or do the 19's! They look pretty good as well! Problem is with them is the weight, and the price. You should put them on your car if that's what you like. No reason not to just because I have them.
I'm going to powder coat mine a different color this summer when I go to my summer performance package.:D

Dawsfc3

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
You can still do them, or do the 19's! They look pretty good as well! Problem is with them is the weight, and the price. You should put them on your car if that's what you like. No reason not to just because I have them.
I'm going to powder coat mine a different color this summer when I go to my summer performance package.:D
Naw I am still going to thru them on I am getting them for them free just have to repair them. They are a little lighter than stock so it’s cool. Do you still have the link to the lug nuts you used?

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
maybe I just don't know enough about wheels but wouldn't the center bore being the same make the wheels hubcentric removing the concern about the lug nut bores being larger?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
maybe I just don't know enough about wheels but wouldn't the center bore being the same make the wheels hubcentric removing the concern about the lug nut bores being larger?
Wrong sized/shaped lugs won't seat properly and could damage the wheels or brakes or hubs

There were Nissan mini truck guys using conical lugs instead of acorn bulge to mount Escalade wheels. They would wear out the lug bore and have wheels fall off

Last edited:
OP
OP
SonicBreezerST160

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not necessarily. The normal lugs for the Tesla Model 3, were 14x1.5, so the holes are 2mm larger. Interestingly though, the wheels have an after market style conical lug seat. However, a normal 'tuner lug' is just too small at the top of the conical seat, that it bottoms out before it grabs enough material in the lug hole. A 23-25mm width is needed to make them work. My Ray's 'Dura Lug' forged aluminum lugs are perfect, 12x1.5, with a 25mm width, 60° conical seat. It required a small bit of research, and some experimentation with my car up on the floor jack and wheels on and off multiple times before I figured it out completely.
Sponsored