Terminals to add fuses and relays into existing fuse box?

eqrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 civic, 16 civic
I am in the progress of installing a beefier horn in my civic to complement the pip squeek it has now. I plan on putting it on it's own fuse and relay so it can still be controlled by the wheel's horn button.

I would like it to wire it in to the existing fuse box in under the hood. I have 6 empty fuse slots and 2 empty relay slots to use. Along with a open gap area on to top side of the fuse box.

After scouring the web, I think I have found the right terminals to use on said slots. But wanted to ask my fellow Honda owners if they parts that have worked for them. Or places where I could get a harness that would mount in the open space in the top (So I can add more accessories later)

Honda Civic 10th gen Terminals to add fuses and relays into existing fuse box? IMG_20170731_170351522 Honda Civic 10th gen Terminals to add fuses and relays into existing fuse box? IMG_20170731_170401364
http://imgur.com/a/waRYR

SSGCoxie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport, 6MT, Sonic Gray
Country flag
Since you're using a relay and fuse just connect the Normally open contact to the terminal here: Honda Civic 10th gen Terminals to add fuses and relays into existing fuse box? IMG_20170731_170401364

using a ring terminal: Honda Civic 10th gen Terminals to add fuses and relays into existing fuse box? shoppin

and don't forget to fuse it right at the terminal: Honda Civic 10th gen Terminals to add fuses and relays into existing fuse box? index

OP
OP

eqrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 civic, 16 civic
An inline fuse and external relay is my Plan C option. I am trying it keep it looking all neat and tidy. And beable to use what is already existing.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Um, how are you going to trigger the horn? Put a multimeter on that horn fuse and I bet it's hot all the time, or hot with ignition on.

OP
OP

eqrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 civic, 16 civic
Um, how are you going to trigger the horn? Put a multimeter on that horn fuse and I bet it's hot all the time, or hot with ignition on.
Via a Relay. Postitve BUS to fuse, Fuse to relay. Relay to new horn. new horn to ground.
Stock horn's Positive line. To horn button, From horn button to stock horn and to New horn's relay coil.

Aka, you push the horn on the wheel. it activates the relay coil, which then sends power separate power to the new horns.

But we are off topic a little. I am just asking about the terminals that are in the fuse block, along with the question, is there any pre-build wiring harness that would go in that open slot at the top.

Doc_C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Then why even be at the fuse box? You have your own fuseable link, you have your own trigger, you have a plethora 12V connections that are pretty hidden. Also, you might want to test the stock horn trigger. It's most likely a (-) trigger. Not a deal breaker, but you'll have to swap a few wires around.

What kind of current does that new horn draw?

SSGCoxie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB Sport, 6MT, Sonic Gray
Country flag
I don't know of any pre-built harnesses, but from your reply, you sound more than competent to complete this yourself. Don't forget the 1/4" loom to make it look OEM. I did the same thing you plan with HELLA super tones and replaced the stock horn.

They fit if you use a standoff of just over 5".

OP
OP

eqrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 civic, 16 civic
I don't know of any pre-built harnesses, but from your reply, you sound more than competent to complete this yourself. Don't forget the 1/4" loom to make it look OEM. I did the same thing you plan with HELLA super tones and replaced the stock horn.

They fit if you use a standoff of just over 5".
Base on the drawings from honda, There are devices that go in the empty slots. Example, the Red box on the attached image shows what looks to be a relay and a 3x fuse bay harness. The lid of my fuse box shows those slots empty. I would take a guess that something does go there, but I can't seam to find a place that shows, let alone sells the harness block that would go in that empty area. That would be ideal for my project.

Honda Civic 10th gen Terminals to add fuses and relays into existing fuse box? hondaCUE22

OP
OP

eqrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 civic, 16 civic
No success in the shopping world. So I ended up heading to a junk yard in my state. Where I just pick-and-pulled all the cables out of a modern Honda that had it's life ended too soon. I used the used cables, and they fit perfectly into the on board slots of the current fuse box

OP
OP

eqrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 civic, 16 civic
Wish I could. As mentioned above, I used old terminal wires that I pulled off some hondas in a junk yard. After opening up the fuse panel (very tight space to work in) I was able to add in the new terminals into an empty bay, and bridged the source power from the existing horn relay. In short, I now have 2 relays for my horns. Both controlled by the stock steering wheel switch. 1 Relay goes to the stock horn, 2nd relay goes to the after market horns
Sponsored