Technical Service Bulletin TSB FIX for 2016 Civic Audio Issues

guerjam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Hi All,

I have a favor to ask all the people in this forum. Can the first person with any experience with applying the fix please post about whether or not it works? Presumably it does but I need to be sure. I'll post whatever information I learn over the next few days too.

I reached out to my local service dept and told them about what I learned here. They've been very cooperative and they're looking into the fix but they told me they've heard nothing from honda yet. Possibly today or early this week. I have a touring and this problem happens to me a little over 50% of the time. Frustrating.

Thanks.
Sponsored

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

I have a favor to ask all the people in this forum. Can the first person with any experience with applying the fix please post about whether or not it works? Presumably it does but I need to be sure. I'll post whatever information I learn over the next few days too.

I reached out to my local service dept and told them about what I learned here. They've been very cooperative and they're looking into the fix but they told me they've heard nothing from honda yet. Possibly today or early this week. I have a touring and this problem happens to me a little over 50% of the time. Frustrating.

Thanks.
The service department applies the fix when they get it from Honda

guerjam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
The service department applies the fix when they get it from Honda
Thanks RedTouringMA, understood. :)

Can anyone who either works for honda service (HondaMan) or has an affected car that was fixed by their local service dept please confirm that the fix actually works. Presumably it does but it would give me a warm fuzzy feeling if it was confirmed on this thread. I have a feeling someone here might find out sooner than my local service dept.

Thanks again!

kiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civc Touring
Thanks RedTouringMA, understood. :)

Can anyone who either works for honda service (HondaMan) or has an affected car that was fixed by their local service dept please confirm that the fix actually works. Presumably it does but it would give me a warm fuzzy feeling if it was confirmed on this thread. I have a feeling someone here might find out sooner than my local service dept.

Thanks again!

I will be getting this update once my dealer has the ability to do it. Right now they are waiting on the USB stick from honda with the software update on it so it may take a bit before anyone can get it done. The problem is that the problem is so intermittent is may take a month to know if we had true long term stability.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Is anyone else concerned by the instructions in the TSB?

"Repeat steps 3 through 8 and confirm the DSP software version was updated."

I work on embedded systems software, and if writing to flash memory doesn't work the first time but magically does the second time, then there are significant problems in the flash driver / file system. Any update system I've ever written or worked with has validity checks for the new image and backups in case it didn't work. This sounds like "hit it with the hammer twice".

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Not concerned by that at all. Seems like a pretty standard "verify successful completion" step.

schnoz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2016 Honda Fit LX
I just talked to my Honda dealer since I am getting tint applied to my touring on Wednesday and they said that they see the bulletin but do not have the USB drive yet. He said he might get it by Wednesday, but he is doubtful. It will most likely be a week or two longer to receive it. That is probably why they aren't notifying anybody until February, so that the dealerships can get the USB drive in stock.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
That is probably why they aren't notifying anybody until February, so that the dealerships can get the USB drive in stock.
Advice for Honda: "DOWNLOAD: look it up!"

I'm sure they want to make it easy for the dealers and don't trust their technical abilities and want to assure configuration control and all of that, but this is 2016 and better technologies exist for all these requirements than, effectively, sneakernet.

AirCooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring , others
Yes that's the meaning I was trying to point out. A more powerful hardware with an high res screen. Then it would have wifi and play movies and do anything. Gps have a memory card slot for expansion. Upgrading OS easy with rooting options. ;) hahaha. Or heck put everything back in a double level dash like 9th gen and put a stock amp in with a ipad or Tab S2 mounted in the dash for straight up entertainment.
Touring already has WiFi, and can play movies (MP4's container anyway) but I didn't tell you that. :)

AirCooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is anyone else concerned by the instructions in the TSB?

"Repeat steps 3 through 8 and confirm the DSP software version was updated."

I work on embedded systems software, and if writing to flash memory doesn't work the first time but magically does the second time, then there are significant problems in the flash driver / file system. Any update system I've ever written or worked with has validity checks for the new image and backups in case it didn't work. This sounds like "hit it with the hammer twice".
Yes, I am concerned. Hopefully some checksums are in the update code, (but honestly I doubt it) likely their code is very weakly encrypted (if at all), and they could easily just run it again if the update should fail.

I for the life of me -- cannot figure out how to check what version of TBAA - AMP software I have.... I got tired of looking at all the screens this weekend....

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Yes, I am concerned. Hopefully some checksums are in the update code, (but honestly I doubt it) likely their code is very weakly encrypted (if at all), and they could easily just run it again if the update should fail.

I for the life of me -- cannot figure out how to check what version of TBAA - AMP software I have.... I got tired of looking at all the screens this weekend....
Supposedly steps 3-8 are used to check the version. I misread the TSB instructions earlier. I don't have the extra amp in my car, so I cannot confirm.

AirCooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supposedly steps 3-8 are used to check the version. I misread the TSB instructions earlier. I don't have the extra amp in my car, so I cannot confirm.
But by my read, the USB has to be in the drive to even DO that step. Get my point, there's got to be a way to check version w/o the USB stick. Only 7F outside right now and don't want to go in the garage, LOL.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I emailed with my service manager today, and he said that they will have this Update on a USB by next week and I can come in and get my car updated as soon as it arrives.

bostondan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It's too bad they don't provide a way for us to do these updates ourselves. Seems crazy to take a car into the dealer just for a quick Android update.

Imagine if we had to bring our phones to the Apple Store every time there was a new update. That would be insane.

Maybe they just figure that if things go wrong with th update they'll be able to troubleshoot at the dealer, but I feel like that shouldn't be a major issue.
Sponsored