Technical Service Bulletin TSB FIX for 2016 Civic Audio Issues

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Never heard of Honda selling their TSB updates before, would definitely be odd if they actually do it.
Sponsored

AirCooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring , others
Honda Civic 10th gen Technical Service Bulletin TSB FIX for 2016 Civic Audio Issues upload_2016-1-9_12-41-9

But who knows...they may have just been saying it was available for purchase to get rid of me. One of these dealerships "knows" me (and my voice) because I've complained about the Audio since purchase on 21 Nov.

Still stuck on process to check what version of AMP software I actually have....

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
upload_2016-1-9_12-41-9.png

But who knows...they may have just been saying it was available for purchase to get rid of me. One of these dealerships "knows" me (and my voice) because I've complained about the Audio since purchase on 21 Nov.

Still stuck on process to check what version of AMP software I actually have....
I just hope they have it available at my dealership soon!! I'm happy to let them do it, I don't want to be fooling around with that lol

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
upload_2016-1-9_12-41-9.png

But who knows...they may have just been saying it was available for purchase to get rid of me. One of these dealerships "knows" me (and my voice) because I've complained about the Audio since purchase on 21 Nov. Still stuck on process to check what version of AMP software I actually have....
The TSB is communication to the dealers and not your average joe honda driver. I would read that as the dealership gets the first one shipped to them automatically for free, additional ones are available to them for $20.

scsi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Aegean Blue Civic Touring, 2003 Element EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Stopped by my dealer today to talk about the Oil Minder issue, and they didn't have their USB memory stick yet. They said maybe next week.

The TSB is communication to the dealers and not your average joe honda driver. I would read that as the dealership gets the first one shipped to them automatically for free, additional ones are available to them for $20.
This, for sure. I can guarantee Honda does not want us poking around in diagnostic mode trying to apply firmware updates.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Stopped by my dealer today to talk about the Oil Minder issue, and they didn't have their USB memory stick yet. They said maybe next week.

This, for sure. I can guarantee Honda does not want us poking around in diagnostic mode trying to apply firmware updates.
I emailed my service manager, he said he's never heard of Honda making USB sticks to sell to the public for 20 bucks and highly doubts they ever would.

AirCooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree and apologize for the inaccuracy of my post. I called a third semi-local Honda dealership (since I've named the first two already, I will not name third). The $20 must be the internal cost for the dealer to get more sticks for that particular update, it is not available to the public. Again, since 25 NOV I've had intermittent audio issues issues so I've been calling them every week, and I think the lead Service Rep knows my voice and I was ticked they didn't have it yet. :)

That said, I'll stand by my commend that if I can get a stick, I can image a stick and post it somewhere. The process (already posted) is less complicated than driving with HondaSense if you know what you are doing. What Honda says, versus what we are capable of doing are two entirely different subjects, not worth debating here.

There must be 50K lines of code in our Tourings now....If it takes almost 10 weeks for this software update -- (sigh) we can only hope future updates are made available more quickly.

Back to semi-lurk mode for a while.

AirCooled

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agree and apologize for the inaccuracy of my post. I called a third semi-local Honda dealership (since I've named the first two already, I will not name third). The $20 must be the internal cost for the dealer to get more sticks for that particular update, it is not available to the public. Again, since 25 NOV I've had intermittent audio issues issues so I've been calling them every week, and I think the lead Service Rep knows my voice and I was ticked they didn't have it yet. :)

That said, I'll stand by my commend that if I can get a stick, I can image a stick and post it somewhere. The process (already posted) is less complicated than driving with HondaSense if you know what you are doing. What Honda says, versus what we are capable of doing are two entirely different subjects, not worth debating here.

There must be 50K lines of code in our Tourings now....If it takes almost 10 weeks for this software update -- (sigh) we can only hope future updates are made available more quickly.

Back to semi-lurk mode for a while.

AirCooled
I think the more people who call Honda and complain, and fill out the surveys when they get them, maybe the faster we'll get attention for fixes :)
I dont think we can rely on the dealerships to tell Honda about the problems

Last edited:

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
I'll bet 50k SLOC is two orders of magnitude low by the time you count everything. And this was a simple little compartmentalized bit for the amplifier DSP.

Searching a '16 Civic Touring parts catalog for "rewritable" finds:
  • Body Control Module Unit (Rewritable) PN# 38809-TBA-A41 HC# 9704627
  • Can Gateway Unit (Rewritable) PN# 38890-TBA-A01 HC# 9704024
  • Combination Meter Assembly (Rewritable) PN# 78100-TBC-A31 HC# 9704594
  • Monocular Camera Assembly (Rewritable) PN# 36160-TBC-A01 HC# 9704005 / 36160-TBC-A02 HC# 9713489
  • Powertrain Control Module (Rewritable) PN# 37820-5AA-A65 HC# 9717185 / 37820-5AA-L66 HC# 9721298
  • SRS Unit (Rewritable) PN# 77960-TBA-A01 HC# 9704238
  • Transmission Control Unit (Rewritable) PN# 28100-5CG-A02 HC# 9710419 / 28100-5CG-A03 HC# 9712292 / 28100-5CG-A04 HC# 9718273
  • Vsa Modulator Assembly (Rewritable) PN# 57100-TBC-A22 HC# 9713504 / 57100-TBC-A23 HC# 9717457

And that didn't find the head unit or the amplifier in question, among other things no doubt.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Last edited:

AirCooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had no idea our Tourings had that much code, but should have guessed better.

Question: Do you think updates could be made available via a "Update My Honda" interface? This could be done as they already have WiFi and USB interface available. Honda corportate would save revenue as the dealers change Honda .3 hours right for their time on this update. Eliminate the need for the dealer to do the update, put the buden on us -- the drivers. (I could subscribe to that!)

I own a 78 Porsche Targa (hence my user name) and the only "electronics" include those components from the Bosch CDI component. Part of their Jet/KTronic continuous injection / fuel mapping system (I have a ROW model so no EPA or CAT stuff done) and they have 3 chips - THREE. And those 3 chips control the logic of the injection. Pretty "cutting edge stuff for 78" mind you. BTW - this was updated later with Motronic / DME logic came into play.

Started every day, audio works every day. :)

Understand too - I'm not bashing Honda (I love my Touring, especially when it plays audio OK on first try which it does 75% of the time) just wished there were simpler, quicker, more efficent ways to update all the code they have...

Last edited:

AirCooled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great read btw, really mind blowing, thanks for posting that.

I can see both sides, the manufactures not wanting to open the code up as it could reveal intellectual/corp. property, but NTSHA not having ANY way to check code for defects or just plain BAD design, logic or actual coding techniques. (I miss FoxPro 2.5A for DOS which is what I used to do, I wrote some National Magazine Distribution systems and each line had to COUNT for me to include it. No fluff, nothing unnecessary. Each compile routine would be slower each time I added a new line of code therefore, I went with less code to make it as efficient as possible.

goflyakuite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
Vehicle Showcase
I'll bet 50k SLOC is two orders of magnitude low by the time you count everything. And this was a simple little compartmentalized bit for the amplifier DSP.
I agree completely. I remember reading an article (wish I had kept track of the permalink to it) that compared the average number of lines of code to every common operating system in existence.... Windows 95, 98, Windows 7, ect and Linux and Mac releases too.... and the number of lines of code in current cars was exactly as you stated.... a 2x magnitude!
Sponsored