Technical Service Bulletin TSB FIX for 2016 Civic Audio Issues

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
@dick w is spot on in describing the Honda Service Department.

To get an update, you have to go find the TSB on the internet, read the description of the symptom, recite the symptom verbatim, and even then argue with the service rep. I had to request the rep to put down in writing that there was not an update before she came back and apologized and made it sound like even the techs didn't know about the update.

All I can figure is that Honda does not reimburse dealerships very well for this sort of thing, therefore the dealership has an incentive to not provide the service.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I am inclined to believe the same. I went in yesterday for the grinding cvt issue and showed the advisor two TSBs, one for the grind and one for the beeping issue I experience once in a full moon. They were able to replicate the grinding issue so they agreed to fix that but not the infotainment issue given that they couldn't get it to replicate. You'd think it would be good practice to simply update the software as it should be a fast process, but they're really not into doing anything unless they can replicate it on the spot.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
Sorry but Honda really sucks on this. I ended up writing HoA to address all my concerns with the car and got a call last week. The lady immediately tried placing blame on me for everything so I just hung up on her. I am over it, this car, and anything they make. The first complaint in my letter was the head unit issues and its inability to play nicely with the phone integration.....and their complete lack of any kind of software resolution in what is now 67k miles on the car. She asked what phone I had and I told her a galaxy s8 and previously a note 4. She asked if those were on their approved list. She looked it up and told me that the latest android phone they have approved was the s6 edge. I googled that while she was still explaining that to be my fault and problem on the phone. I replied "I just googled that, that phone came out in 2015....before the first car even came off the assembly line which clearly demonstrates my complaint that nothing is being done on their end to correct or update a clearly buggy system. She replied "I am not talking about google today, sir". Yep....I am out of this conversation.

Shame.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
She asked if those were on their approved list.
The first Honda product we bought with Bluetooth/HFL/phone integration was a 2004 Acura TL. IIRC, it was the first car they sold with any of this stuff. Even then, the "compatibility list" was at least two years behind the car, and contained precious few phones you would have wanted to own even two years earlier. Nothing has changed in 13 years on this score from Honda.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first Honda product we bought with Bluetooth/HFL/phone integration was a 2004 Acura TL. IIRC, it was the first car they sold with any of this stuff. Even then, the "compatibility list" was at least two years behind the car, and contained precious few phones you would have wanted to own even two years earlier. Nothing has changed in 13 years on this score from Honda.
Which was exactly my complaint I was trying to convey that she refused to listen to. I knew there were bugs in the system when I bought the car. I also had a reasonable expectation that software updates would be on the way to correct this. Almost 2 years and 68k miles later, I still yell at this car at least 10 times a day on the road over its stupidity. The head unit is the only reason the car gets a shitty reliability rating, and justifiably so. The car itself is a nice product. The technology and support couldn't be much worse.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which was exactly my complaint I was trying to convey that she refused to listen to.
In her defense, she hears it all many times a day, no doubt, has nothing better to offer in response, indeed, is paid to respond with the formula she responded with, and has no control over making the situation any different. This is a far bigger problem at Honda than some underpaid call center minion. See my signature below.

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I get that, and agree with your signature. Doesn't make it any less shitty of an experience though either.

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Which was exactly my complaint I was trying to convey that she refused to listen to. I knew there were bugs in the system when I bought the car. I also had a reasonable expectation that software updates would be on the way to correct this. Almost 2 years and 68k miles later, I still yell at this car at least 10 times a day on the road over its stupidity. The head unit is the only reason the car gets a shitty reliability rating, and justifiably so. The car itself is a nice product. The technology and support couldn't be much worse.
The car is amazing. I love it.

...BUT I couldn't agree with you more about the infotainment system. I would also lump the bland touring speakers and "sub" that were over-hyped as 'premium'. A "sub" wired with 22-24AWG is hilarious (but sad and useless).

Despite the severe infotainment issues, I don't regret my purchase decision. Carplay, when it works, is wonderful. I also replaced the speakers and installed two subs (it was a giant pain in the &%%).

I wouldn't recommend this car to non-DIYers.

In conclusion - Honda - please provide us an update to the infotainment firmware! Two years seems like a reasonable turnaround time for bugfixes ;)

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
In conclusion - Honda - please provide us an update to the infotainment firmware! Two years seems like a reasonable turnaround time for bugfixes ;)
As much as it pains me, I'm betting that 2016s have seen their last infotainment update.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
As much as it pains me, I'm betting that 2016s have seen their last infotainment update.
I would have to agree. Although, I’m in the fortunate position of having a fully functional infotainment system, and frankly wouldn’t trust any updates at this point.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
After a few quirks and resets, I have yet to have issues the last few months. I haven't gotten any updates to my infotainment system since buying the car.

baillieul

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
Country flag
I had my infotainment software in Jan and just noticed my AC not blowing cold. Could there be any connection at all as you acces the infotainment menu via the HU?

joeyfan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport HB 6M, 2017 Subaru Outback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Now I'm scared... I checked out the Recalls thread because my 17 Sport HB is getting a software update per an open TSB. Not sure exactly which software is getting updated but the service tech thought it might fix the problem I called to ask for service on, the fact that music from my USB drive was randomly pausing and resuming while playing. I hope the car leaves in better shape than it arrived at the dealership!

I have the older non-touchscreen model of head unit so I'll try to find out if this is a new update or just an old one that was never applied.
Sponsored