Talk me out of trading. Please...

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Hey everybody, i really do love my Si.... but hearing that so many people are having clutch problems has me thinking long term. I haven't had a car for more than a year since 2012. I had a 2015 GTI (DSG), loved it and was tuned. Traded for the "new, at the time" civic EX-T. Again I loved it. CVT lag was a bitch though. Traded it for a 2018 Subaru which i also loved. Steering responsive LED headlights and a great audio system i still miss (and AWD just a little, but NO probs at all with the Si on snow tires). I kept the Sub for 8 months and got my Si. The first week i was VIT stage 1 Ktuned. It is so much fun and handles perfectly on the winding mountain roads by my. I missed driving a manual transmission so much and this was a breath of fresh air.

I like my Si a lot. I really enjoy the tune. I am worried about the clutch... AND...Next gen GTI and WRX are about to come out!....

I told myself (and my wife, friends, co-workers, etc..) that i would actually be keeping this car for a few years.

The clutch has me worried (i drive spirited EVERY day). The fuel dilution (i know is common with direct injection) also is a concern for long term.

I love the Si, but with new gen competitors...
I need a rational argument from a fellow enthusiast to keep me here.
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
There is nothing rational about this, If you can support it financially and it really makes you happy everyday. Do it.

For me, a base trim model 3 or a 4 banger turbo BMW is enough to smoke me and they are everywhere here. I am happy with my reliable decent looking Honda.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You trade cars way too often. Make up your mind, dammit! :confused:;):p

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you want to keep it swap clutches since you're so worried about it. That would be cheaper than losing your ass trading it in so quickly. A clutch is maybe $1000 and then you have no worries. As for the oil dilution goes unless you live in a very cold climate and only make short trips it's really not that bad of an issue.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
I'd wait for the next gen Si due in couple years. Assuming it's still MT, it should be an even larger improvement over our already impressive 10gen Si. It may even be the last ICE Si offered. That's what I'd do, and just may. Dont care much for Das German rides myself

Davsonamission

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd wait for the next gen Si due in couple years. Assuming it's still MT, it should be an even larger improvement over our already impressive 10gen Si. It may even be the last ICE Si offered. That's what I'd do, and just may. Dont care much for German rides myself
I heard the next gen type R will be a hybrid. More like a hybrid drive system...

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
the clutch struggle is real my friend. my clutch is fucked and it was after i flashed the ktuner 23 psi base map to it. in 4th gear at 70 mph if i gun it it slips.

when in 1st gear and shifting above 5800 rpm the clutch will slip like a nasty bitch and the revvs shoot all the way up and i go nowhere.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm hearing this everywhere now. Also Honda I think says all Hondas for Europe 2021 forward will have electrification. Since the Type R will be sold in Europe and are unlikely to make different power plants for different region Rs, I'd bet money the next R will in fact be hybrid everywhere

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm hearing this everywhere now. Also Honda I think says all Hondas for Europe 2021 forward will have electrification. Since the Type R will be sold in Europe and are unlikely to make different power plants for different region Rs, I'd bet money the next R will in fact be hybrid everywhere
this electrification of all our cars is really depressing

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I didn't read anything but the OP but damn homie, you must lose a lot of money with your car buying habits lol.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sounds like you like driving different cars. I don't think there anything wrong with that... though it might be hurting long term financials for you a bit. If you can wheel and deal... it's no worse than leasing your whole life. I've had mine a smidge over a year... am happy with it... but still want something else now and then. I'm eyeing a cheap CTS V-Sport that's a few years old as a future comfortable fast-cruiser that's still family friendly... or something like that.

I could certainly afford a 5th car... but of the 4 I already have... 1) Van is paid for, bought new and planning to keep until the kids are grown 2) Civic was cheap to buy and maintain. I really would like it to last long enough to pass it down to my first driver in 8 more years if it dies early, so be it... but I don't *need* anything else... the wife really likes it and I'll.probabky just hang onto it. By then, I should be done with my navy time and (cross fingers) the wife will be working, I'll have some kick ass job and we'll have made a good retirement nest egg with 50-100k of equity in the current house to turn around. 3) The Z. I just can't get rid of it 4) the truck. It's worthless with regard to it's value... but I use it as a truck hauling stuff and is worth keeping.

I'd have another toy if I had 2... or 3. I fear having to move to another duty station and having to move more than 2 cars. If move 3 by getting the Z moved and sell the truck. Moving 4 is too much if a PITA and I may not have room for that many vehicles at the next location.

If it makes to you happy swapping cars and you can get good trade in and a good bottom line on what you get... do it! I traded my 9th gen Si and got enough out of it I think I beat or at least matched the lease folks.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How long the clutch last depends how you drive. I dont have a.si but a hatchback sport with ktuner 21 psi tune and no troubles with my clutch. And for the fuel dilution I have not seen It but then again it dont get that cold in Oklahoma

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
this electrification of all our cars is really depressing
So true! That's why I'm keeping mine in great condition and no winters. Intend on keeping it forever. Well see how the next gen Si pops out. If it's still great with ICE power and MT, I may trade for it. That gen would surely be the last non electric lightweight Si. Yes depressing

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...oh, wait. I read your thread title again after I posted...

Nooo... don't do it. Don't get something else you want. Settle for what you have. That should make you happy.:thumbsup: really though, if cars are something that's important and brings you joy in your life and it isn't seriously affecting you financially... I don't see this as a problem. Especially since you're not hoarding a lot of cars. You're just swapping DDs. I'm in worse shape because I can't get rid of that Z.
Sponsored