Swindon Production Run Complete? (March 31)

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
Anyone have connections to the Swindon Factory to confirm that the factory line has officially completed it’s build quota as explained from previous news reports and forum posts?

“David Hodgetts, managing director at Honda UK, told the Press Association: “There’s plenty of anticipation for the new Civic Type R, which largely comes off the back of the fact that the car it replaced was very well received and was built in small numbers.

“But the American market has really driven up demand because it’s not been available over there before. We’re looking at producing about 13,000 units between now and March 31, and we’re exporting about 6,000 of those to the States.”

This would be a great indication if we have reports that the Swindon factory has officially continued to build more CTR models in the first week of April (2018).
Sponsored

Ctrnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai veracruz, 2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Following also. I really want to see if this was it and will we be waiting for new R's on the updated civics. Or what really is Honda's future plans. I am hopeful the R does not die. I am hoping they keep making them just because they are so much fun.

OP
OP
bobafettm

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd assume we would see trust worthy dealers letting us know they are not expecting more shipments past a specific date. I really hope this is not the case also. I'd rather see the Civic Type R continue to be build throughout 2018-19+

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Civic sales are down in 2018 (natural as a model run ages) so it's not like Honda needs extra capacity for regular Civic variants. Honda will sell every CTR they can build without discounting or offering incentives so seems like a no-brainer to keep building them for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Maybe you can tweet HondaProJason? He's been out to that factory to watch his CTR built, so presumably he made a bunch of contacts there. DM might get you good info.

OP
OP
bobafettm

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Maybe you can tweet HondaProJason? He's been out to that factory to watch his CTR built, so presumably he made a bunch of contacts there. DM might get you good info.
That was my first thought also. I’ll tag him in a question on the Facebook CTR group. Hopefully he can shine some light on it.

IMO never ever ever ever purchase a car to make money lol... My Exige sells for more than what I paid for it but that was sheer luck. I don’t ever plan on the CTR increasing in value but it would be nice to never dip below 15k ;)

OP
OP
bobafettm

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Jason reported back that the build time to March 31 was just the numbers they planned on building at that time and not an end of life.

We are to assume that CTRs are still being produced under the 2018 build numbers and will continue to the foreseeable future.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Jason reported back that the build time to March 31 was just the numbers they planned on building at that time and not an end of life.

We are to assume that CTRs are still being produced under the 2018 build numbers and will continue to the foreseeable future.
This makes sense. I believe the end of March is the end of the Japanese fiscal year, so it's just a milestone.

Vortexhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PMM Civic Type R GT #10432
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This makes sense. I believe the end of March is the end of the Japanese fiscal year, so it's just a milestone.
Japan? The cars are made in the UK! Fiscal year in the UK ends the 31st of March (or 5th of April, depending if it's government or personal tax)

OP
OP
bobafettm

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO... If the chassis continues past March 31 then I think we are safe to say it will continue for the rest of this model year’s cycle.

Now the next big wait will be 2019 Honda Civic Type R...

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
IMO... If the chassis continues past March 31 then I think we are safe to say it will continue for the rest of this model year’s cycle.

Now the next big wait will be 2019 Honda Civic Type R...
Should be my next car. It will be interesting to see if the 2019 CTR will get the Civic’s mid-gen refresh. I hope it’s a refresh as it would be nice if they could find a way to reduce all the black honeycomb plastic.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
The sooner they stop making them the sooner ours go up in value!!
Yup, I plan to retire on the proceeds from my hot version of an econobox.

Actually, I plan to enjoy the car knowing full well that it's just another depreciating asset and I hope they build a ton of them so we have a big happy community for everyone who wants one to enjoy.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Yup, I plan to retire on the proceeds from my hot version of an econobox.

Actually, I plan to enjoy the car knowing full well that it's just another depreciating asset and I hope they build a ton of them so we have a big happy community for everyone who wants one to enjoy.
this
Sponsored