SWIM may have bricked their DA. Or battery?

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
SWIM was eager to both update ktuner unit and begin running a 3x two-map. Seems like the perfect time to also root the DA (display audio) and get tunerview lite ft. Ktuner up and running.
Well, it's not plainly documented what storage format will work between Win10 and the 4.2.2 Jelly Bean DA, and how to mount a flash drive. SWIM spent the time finding Jelly Bean compatible apks for two apps really wanted. SWIM got antsy, so installed the Google Play Store and Service. There was a warning about it really slowing things down, and to disable auto update checks. Couldn't manage to find a settings/preferences menu in the Play Store App. Then the whole DA froze up, and it seemed like the lights were getting dim in the cabin.
The car, when turned off and put back into on (but not running) ran through every conceivable error almost like during flashing. Then it froze. Many many attempts and finally SWIM disconnected the positive battery connection and charged the battery with a parable jumper while cleaning up for the night yesterday. This morning, through some quick actions and bolstering CCA with the portable charger, the car was running in place.
The DA is still very slow, though SWIM was able to log into Google Services. Still no means of disabling the service that was warned about. The Play Store also doesn't give a hang about downloaded release apks that are 4.2.2 compatible... So no smarthome app unless another crack at sideloading is performed. Which is a shame, because SWIM could establish a geofence scene that opens the garage door when the car has been away and arrives. Could also control house from the car rather than the phone, and can stop fighting Android Auto.

Does the battery sound dead? I've got a multimeter, but how would someone monitor the battery health?
How can one undo Honda hack? I'd sooner hack together a separate device for some of this functionality than add an instability to the DA, which I had not idea was such a risk and dependency for basic functions like starting the vehicle and release the brake.

Any experience with mounting a storage volume and sideloading apks with Honda Hack?
Anyone know if Honda Hack could be used to allow a US Civic to have the left mirror cam installed and function with both? Or map a new button to the rear view cam despite gest and vss?
Sponsored

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ran the car idle for 5-10min to recharge while I finalized some of the tune. Flashed with the car on (when it halted was an odd sensation). As soon as I got out driving and cycled through the three maps all the residual errors went away. I had to hold the DA power down for 2s when I began, and power cycle the DA when it was seeking a GPS Fix. I have a good power bank for jumping, so I'm not overly concerned for the time being.

OP
OP
IronFusion

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The car ran without gripe or error. Someone should come up with an inline locked switch for the positive terminal clamp. Having a strut bar and only bare metal socketed tools makes for an uneasy complicated time connecting and disconnecting the clamp from the post.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
My head is spinning.

ElusiveJones

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Country flag
That was interesting. People still use "SWIM", apparently. The feds will never crack that code.

More seriously, you need to uninstall google play services or your HU will run very slow, unresponsive, and cause DA launcher errors and reboot cycles. It's not just that it will annoy you, but it's potentially a safety concern as your cameras can take a while to show up on screen, for example. Not to mention fiddling with the HU while you're driving and constantly looking at the screen to see if it's working or crashing can be a major distraction. Go into HH settings > install apps online > install "uninstaller". You might have to uninstall updates first, but definitely get play services uninstalled and wait for a more stable version or workaround. The XDA forum on this has a lot more information and more people playing around with HH.
Sponsored