Swapping out Incandescent Lights for new LED ones.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yesterday, I was swapping out a Brake Bulb for a new modern LED bulb, and hit an issue.

I had purchased on of those Flashing Led Bulbs, with the idea or replacing the Center Upper Brake light on the Si , with one that does the strobe/flash/on function, but should have check first, as the Upper Center Brake Light on the Si, ends up being a multi Led Bar. (Duhhhh)

Not a total loss, I decided to put it on my 1987 Maxima Wagon instead.
Note: A 1987 car, without a lot of intelligent electronics. (You would think !!)

Apart from the fact that the Bulb stye was wrong style (Maxima needed a bayonet type bulb) I modified the LED to be a Bayonet , fitted it, and it was Great ..Worked really well. The Center Bake has 2 Bulbs, and I just replaced one, but the combined effect was most acceptable.

Then I noticed that a warning light came on on the dash, every time I applied the Brakes. Never seen that before in 30 years.
Turns out, even on my 30 year old car, the car had enough "intelligence" to detect if even just ONE of the two center bulbs, or either of the two main side bake light bulb were "Blown", and would then display a warning on the Dash.
(The LED bulb draws so much less current than the old Incandescent bulbs, that it was, to all intent and purposes, not there)

Well, what does this have to do with CIVICx cars ?

Only as a warning to be careful what you replace. I would imagine that the modern CivicX has far more sophisticated electronics and fault detection systems, so when replacing bulbs etc, what sort of concerns are there that these fault detection systems (f they exist), will not be upset which such changes ??

Just a though ....

BTW: I still want my Si's Center Upper Brake Light to strobe & Flash, so I intend to SPLICE IN an Inline Strobe Module ... and SCREW the useless warranty !!

I can just imagine :
Dealer :-
"Your warranty on your A/C Compressor is voided, because you did a MOD, and fitted a Flasher to your brake light" :doh:
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
So I replaced every single bulb in my coupe with LEDs, brakes,reverse, turn, headlights, interior. All of them. I’ve received no warning lights but leave the turn signals halogen. No matter what bulb I put in it hyperflashes. So you can replace turn signals but plan on putting load resisters in the front. Also you don’t need to buy typerleds super expensive lights. I bought all my lights off amazon and eBay and they work perfectly. If you truly want blinking brake lights there’s a website that sells them for $30 instead of typers’ $45 bucks. Personally I wouldn’t buy them. If someone is gonna rear end you they arnt looking up so it doesn’t what lights you put in. I just got some of the brightest lumens brake lights. White not red. You don’t richer you need brighter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Swapping out Incandescent Lights  for new LED ones. EEBCD986-837F-4968-A0C6-CA2B46C6FEE4

Honda Civic 10th gen Swapping out Incandescent Lights  for new LED ones. 2E91652F-BC47-45F7-A7C8-BFEDA7F0FD2F

Honda Civic 10th gen Swapping out Incandescent Lights  for new LED ones. 0B5E7D1D-99DB-4F1F-A76B-C24C21EE9717

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yesterday, I was swapping out a Brake Bulb for a new modern LED bulb, and hit an issue.

I had purchased on of those Flashing Led Bulbs, with the idea or replacing the Center Upper Brake light on the Si , with one that does the strobe/flash/on function, but should have check first, as the Upper Center Brake Light on the Si, ends up being a multi Led Bar. (Duhhhh)

Not a total loss, I decided to put it on my 1987 Maxima Wagon instead.
Note: A 1987 car, without a lot of intelligent electronics. (You would think !!)

Apart from the fact that the Bulb stye was wrong style (Maxima needed a bayonet type bulb) I modified the LED to be a Bayonet , fitted it, and it was Great ..Worked really well. The Center Bake has 2 Bulbs, and I just replaced one, but the combined effect was most acceptable.

Then I noticed that a warning light came on on the dash, every time I applied the Brakes. Never seen that before in 30 years.
Turns out, even on my 30 year old car, the car had enough "intelligence" to detect if even just ONE of the two center bulbs, or either of the two main side bake light bulb were "Blown", and would then display a warning on the Dash.
(The LED bulb draws so much less current than the old Incandescent bulbs, that it was, to all intent and purposes, not there)

Well, what does this have to do with CIVICx cars ?

Only as a warning to be careful what you replace. I would imagine that the modern CivicX has far more sophisticated electronics and fault detection systems, so when replacing bulbs etc, what sort of concerns are there that these fault detection systems (f they exist), will not be upset which such changes ??

Just a though ....

BTW: I still want my Si's Center Upper Brake Light to strobe & Flash, so I intend to SPLICE IN an Inline Strobe Module ... and SCREW the useless warranty !!

I can just imagine :
Dealer :-
"Your warranty on your A/C Compressor is voided, because you did a MOD, and fitted a Flasher to your brake light" :doh:
I always wonder why car manufacturers don't have failed lamp detection (except for turn signals), given the level of modern safety equipment on today's cars. I have seen many cars on the road lately with no rear running lamps, no headlights, or worse, no brake lights working. It would be great if the Civic has such detection. And even better, if every car had it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So I replaced every single bulb in my coupe with LEDs, brakes,reverse, turn, headlights, interior. All of them. I’ve received no warning lights but leave the turn signals halogen. No matter what bulb I put in it hyperflashes. So you can replace turn signals but plan on putting load resisters in the front. Also you don’t need to buy typerleds super expensive lights. I bought all my lights off amazon and eBay and they work perfectly. If you truly want blinking brake lights there’s a website that sells them for $30 instead of typers’ $45 bucks. Personally I wouldn’t buy them. If someone is gonna rear end you they arnt looking up so it doesn’t what lights you put in. I just got some of the brightest lumens brake lights. White not red. You don’t richer you need brighter.

EEBCD986-837F-4968-A0C6-CA2B46C6FEE4.jpeg

2E91652F-BC47-45F7-A7C8-BFEDA7F0FD2F.jpeg

0B5E7D1D-99DB-4F1F-A76B-C24C21EE9717.jpeg
The TURN signal probaly Hyperf;lashes, because the LED bulb is upsetting the FLASHER Module.

If you add LOAD resistors tp the bulbs, you might stop that form happening.

OK, as far as Bulb Ou
I always wonder why car manufacturers don't have filed lamp detection (except for turn signals), given the level of modern safety equipment on today's cars. I have seen many cars on the road lately with no rear running lamps, no headlights, or worse, no brake lights working. It would be great if the Civic has such detection. And even better, if every car had it.
Agree .. it seems CRAZY that a 30 year old can have such features, but a 2019 car cannot. It's not as if it is an expensive feature to add, and certainly would be a big Safety improvement.

I wonder if such a feature is required in some markets ?

Like, in the USA, cars sold since _____? must have TPMS sensors ,, not that the Honda TPMS indirect sensor is that brilliant (but I suppose it does meet the Law requirement) , and it was added for almost zero extra cost .. just a bit of up-front programming cost !!!

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Most new leds will say if they’re canbus and won’t cause an error

Taalica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2006
Country flag
You know, buddy, given that you have a fairly new car, the electronics system still needs careful maintenance. If only a signal is given about a bulb malfunction, it is better to immediately go to a good car service. Not so long ago I decided to change the bulbs inside the cabin. I wanted to buy something unusual and therefore I ordered bulbs from the site https://www.amazon.com/smart-light-bulb-bulbs-color/dp/B0922Q43LY/. They can be controlled remotely using an app on your smartphone. When my wife got into the car, she was pleasantly surprised. I set up a very soft color for the eyes and do not worry about my eyesight.
Sponsored

Last edited: