Swapping a K20Z3 or a K20Z1 head on a K20C2

1. madmax1698

madmax1698 Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic EX Sedan
    So I've been thinking lately about how nice the 8th gen Si and the RSX type-S sounded when accelerating and crossing over into Vtec.

Knowing that the 8th gen Si/RSX type-S and the 10th gen base engine a somewhat the same bottom-end, would it be possible to swap a head from the old Si/RSX type-S onto the 10th gen's K20? The only thing that might prevent the swap being reliable is the different compression ratios (11:1 for the Si/RSX type-S vs 8:1 for the new Civic).

I know that the K20Z3 head and K24 block has been done a few times and well documented on the forums, but what about this swap?

If it's possible to do it, any ideas on the power figures?

I'm pretty sure no one is going to actually do it because there is a 10th gen Si and CTR available, but what if money wasn't an issue, is it doable?

2. xcoreflyup

xcoreflyup Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Hatchback Sport

Totally doable it. It is the time commitment that will challenge you. If you work a full time job, this will easily be a 6 months to a year long project. You might as well do a manual swap if you have a CVT.

3. swah_fk7

swah_fk7 Walking JDM Parts Catalog

First Name:
    Martin
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    Completely different engine. Nothing will line up on the head as they are completely different engines. The only thing they share in common is the K in the name.

4. mvela

mvela Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
    Actually the new k20c2 has a 10.8:1 compression ratio

5. mvela

mvela Senior Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
    What I would like to know is how hard it would be to build a K20c3 from a K20c2. They sound more similar than a c1 or c4. The c2 and c3 have the same compression ratio along with the same Vtec engagement. The c3 sounds like a turbocharged version of the c2.