Swapping 2016 Touring Grille with 2020 OEM Black Grille?

oitsjustjose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic X Touring
Country flag
Hi everyone! First post here so if something's wrong with the format or location of this post, let me know.

I've got a 2016 Civic Touring (Silver with Chrome Trim) and I was wanting to swap out the chrome grill piece with the black ones. I've contacted my local honda and they have the 2020 Black ones that they can swap for me (important since I live in an apartment and lack the know-how and tools for doing this myself) - but they had no idea if the 2020 Black one was compatible with my car.

Does anyone know or have a way to find out if these two are cross-compatible? I've been dying to do this to my car, shy of getting CommaAI the black grille swap would be the last finishing touch to make this car perfect for me.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think I read somewhere that Honda slightly changed the grille for 2020. I could be wrong, though. What you can do is use the OEM black grille for a 17-18 Civic hatchback. I'm pretty certain that will be a direct fit.

Frankakee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX L WOP
Country flag
Yes plenty of people have switched it out with the same year sport model or type r grill

Front Grille: 71121-TGG-A01

Front Emblem Base: 71125-TGG-A01

Right Front Grille Extension Assembly: 71124-TED-T01

Left Front Grille Extension Assembly: 71129-TED-T01

OP
OP
oitsjustjose

oitsjustjose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic X Touring
Country flag
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm at my Honda now getting it done. For those curious the end-cost is about ~$400.

While I get that that's loads more than the DYI method using a replacement on Amazon, I'm much more comfortable with the cost than I am with the risk of messing up my car (plus I don't have the tools or space to properly work on it).

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not to hijack the thread, and to resurrect one from February, but i'm in the same boat as the OP. CBP 2016 touring. Wanna ditch all the chrome. I bought the Procivic honeycomb grill, but like so many others have said (on these forums too!) - and it serves me right for not reading here first - there is a fitment issue with the top of the grill. It's beyond hideous and acceptable. I'm so frustrated by it that I'm willing to smash it to pieces just for fun.

Beyond all that, just to confirm, I (and OP) can use the OEM black grill from the 2017-2018 hatchback sport? I already have the bumper off the car so I just need to take a ride to my local dealership to pick this up. I need the extensions (or what everyone calls the eyelids?), the emblem base and the actual grill. I don't need to purchase an additional emblem for the emblem base?
Sponsored