Suspension sounds on the 2018 Type R

Esco2007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Integra, 00 Integra type r, 18 Civic type r
Country flag
I have 350 miles on my CW 2018. Just picked it up last week and trying to get through The first 500 miles to get back for oil change.

Couple odd things:
1. Around 100 miles, I was getting a squeaks when in reverse and cutting the wheel left or right. That seems to have gone away.
2. Sometimes the transmission feels smoother than others and reverse doesn't exactly feel smooth getting into gear or when letting off the clutch to move in reverse.
3. 1st to 2nd gear and 4th to 5th gear are not consistently smooth and sometimes grind a little.

I'm driving through all this to see if it's just part of break-in. I have taken the car past 4200 rpm (99% of the time under 4000 rpm) and really been shifting smooth and getting up and down through gears.

I also saw a YouTube video of that Honda pro guy when he saw his car seat the factory on England and fresh off the assembly line the test drove it on the test track. Seems like the factory beats these things up a bit right out the gate for the first few miles. So it makes me wonder why the hell am I even trying to be so careful and break it in?

Doing it anyway but a little Leary on if it's necessary because I'm noticing the above weird shit anyway.

Never had this problem with my '01 Integra type r and it has about 90,000 original miles with only aem intake and Mugen exhaust...

Comments? suggestions? Other similar experiences?
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I have 350 miles on my CW 2018. Just picked it up last week and trying to get through The first 500 miles to get back for oil change.

Couple odd things:
1. Around 100 miles, I was getting a squeaks when in reverse and cutting the wheel left or right. That seems to have gone away.
2. Sometimes the transmission feels smoother than others and reverse doesn't exactly feel smooth getting into gear or when letting off the clutch to move in reverse.
3. 1st to 2nd gear and 4th to 5th gear are not consistently smooth and sometimes grind a little.

I'm driving through all this to see if it's just part of break-in. I have taken the car past 4200 rpm (99% of the time under 4000 rpm) and really been shifting smooth and getting up and down through gears.

I also saw a YouTube video of that Honda pro guy when he saw his car seat the factory on England and fresh off the assembly line the test drove it on the test track. Seems like the factory beats these things up a bit right out the gate for the first few miles. So it makes me wonder why the hell am I even trying to be so careful and break it in?

Doing it anyway but a little Leary on if it's necessary because I'm noticing the above weird shit anyway.

Never had this problem with my '01 Integra type r and it has about 90,000 original miles with only aem intake and Mugen exhaust...

Comments? suggestions? Other similar experiences?
Is it actually grinding or just notchy? Big difference. This car does have a transmission cooler so it takes a little while for the fluid to get up to temp. I’d recommend getting the transmission fluid changed after 2,000-3,000 miles. 500 miles for an engine oil change is way too early imo.

Fish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CW
I had the car booked in to have it checked out but the noise became not repeatable and mostly dissappeared.

Now I do get a small squeal reversing without brakes randomly but it is much less noticeable than before which I could hear very clearly with windows up.
Have noticed a small metal "ting" noise randomly but not repeatable.

Will just have to keep an eye/ear out for now see if it gets worst/repeatable again

Esco2007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Integra, 00 Integra type r, 18 Civic type r
Country flag
Is it actually grinding or just notchy? Big difference. This car does have a transmission cooler so it takes a little while for the fluid to get up to temp. I’d recommend getting the transmission fluid changed after 2,000-3,000 miles. 500 miles for an engine oil change is way too early imo.
I think 3nd gear is notchy. Really good point on the difference between grinding and just being notchy. I have about 650 miles now and 2nd gear seems to be smoother and the transmission overall seems a lot smoother since my original post (which was only a few days ago). Been trying to get miles on it to see if this stuff will go away and for the most part,it has. The more I drive it, the more I agree with it being too soon for an oil change. The transmission cooler is a big thing I didn't think of as well. Giving the car time to warm the engine and tranny is definitely a good tip and something to keep in mind! Thank you for the input, Lust!

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I think 3nd gear is notchy. Really good point on the difference between grinding and just being notchy. I have about 650 miles now and 2nd gear seems to be smoother and the transmission overall seems a lot smoother since my original post (which was only a few days ago). Been trying to get miles on it to see if this stuff will go away and for the most part,it has. The more I drive it, the more I agree with it being too soon for an oil change. The transmission cooler is a big thing I didn't think of as well. Giving the car time to warm the engine and tranny is definitely a good tip and something to keep in mind! Thank you for the input, Lust!
No problem. Drive the car a bit more and break it in. Getting the engine and trans up to temp will also help with the smoothness. I’d recommend changing the trans fluid around 3,000 miles or so.

mazotyper

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R #12386
Country flag
Had my CTR check out for the suspension noise after my stock tire blew up on me, thankfully I got the road hazard tire warranty and got a replacement. Still as always, while being serviced technician didn't heard a single noise... At least they noted this issue on my service record and is on record. I suggest you guys do the same and at least get it check out and get this on your service history in case later becomes a bigger problem.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Had my CTR check out for the suspension noise after my stock tire blew up on me, thankfully I got the road hazard tire warranty and got a replacement. Still as always, while being serviced technician didn't heard a single noise... At least they noted this issue on my service record and is on record. I suggest you guys do the same and at least get it check out and get this on your service history in case later becomes a bigger problem.
I had mine looked at as well and of course the car behaved perfectly... they claimed to have inspected the suspension components and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.

jefxfree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, EK hatch
Country flag
I have a 2017 FK8, and I get this really weird springy (maybe that's the right word) sound when I back out of my driveway.

It's only in reverse that i've heard it. And it's not all the time.

It doesn't sound good at all, but since I can't do it on command I haven't taken the car to be checked.

sosoye

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
Country flag
I also hear clunking sound when I’m driving out of my garage not so much reversing it.
The garage is slightly elevated so when my car comes down from the bump, and other small bumps, there’s definitely a clunking sound from the driver side.
Plus I don’t feel comfortable with a dealership handling my car unless I know a technician that works there.
I plan on retorqueing as I install lowering springs and go from there.:dunno:

bnotes17

First Name
noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic type r ; 2018 subaru wrx sti
Country flag
mine is a 2017 type r that's almost a year old this sept. but, only has 2850 miles to date. it started just yesterday, like a spongy, springy type noise coming from the suspension., passenger side. I just installed an invidia r400 yesterday and thought initially, I messed something up. but, I really thought it was coming from the suspension, 1-5 mph, while making a turn on my driveway. it had happened twice so far and am still investigating and your description seemed similar to mine. i'll keep you posted as I don't use my type r so often.
f/u on mine after a little over a month and now running 3750 on mileage. luckily, i have never heard that noise again since i posted back in aug 1st....keeping my eyes open....

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
2018 1900 miles

Was just at a stop early and was driving forward slowly after completely stopping and heard a loud springy metallic noise, sounded like a spring uncoiling or something.

I thoguht I ran over something but didn’t see anything on the road or under my car when I got home.

I hope it’s nothing

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2018 1900 miles

Was just at a stop early and was driving forward slowly after completely stopping and heard a loud springy metallic noise, sounded like a spring uncoiling or something.

I thoguht I ran over something but didn’t see anything on the road or under my car when I got home.

I hope it’s nothing
you might have just had a pebble/small rock in the front brakes...I've had this happen before and it makes that metallic springy sound (assuming the springy sound is when it vibrates the heat shield).

jefxfree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, EK hatch
Country flag
you might have just had a pebble/small rock in the front brakes...I've had this happen before and it makes that metallic springy sound (assuming the springy sound is when it vibrates the heat shield).
i'd bet money this is it. I had the same issue.

CW20038TypeR

First Name
Franklin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW type r 2018
Country flag
Nah it sounded like heavier metal clanging though, sounded like it came from the springs to be honest

jefxfree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, EK hatch
Country flag
Nah it sounded like heavier metal clanging though, sounded like it came from the springs to be honest
Yeah. That's the sound. It sounds like your entire suspension system is being ripped out by a metal monster.

When people told me I was like, there's no way that sound came from a pebble. But it 100% did.
Sponsored