FK877

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R 2017
Country flag
I had a local Type R friend here in who mentioned he had the same problem from Day 1 of ownership. I also compared it to my own R and his definitely had a knock over speed humps, driveways etc. It was more noticeable reversing into a drive way. After 3 months Honda had worked out it was his "Steering Rack Inner Tie Rod End".

He said that "they took swapped the rack from their demo car into ours and vice versa, the knock was louder in their car after the swap they said the tie rod was binding up when it got hot and was adjusted wrong from the factory".

You may want to have yours checked out.

OP
OP

mmcglasson

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru BRZ
I had a local Type R friend here in who mentioned he had the same problem from Day 1 of ownership. I also compared it to my own R and his definitely had a knock over speed humps, driveways etc. It was more noticeable reversing into a drive way. After 3 months Honda had worked out it was his "Steering Rack Inner Tie Rod End".

He said that "they took swapped the rack from their demo car into ours and vice versa, the knock was louder in their car after the swap they said the tie rod was binding up when it got hot and was adjusted wrong from the factory".

You may want to have yours checked out.
Interesting.

Type R 761

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Civic type R and VW sportswagen AWD
Country flag
Does anyone get a front end clunk when going over speed bumps?
I had a clunking when hitting bumps, turned out to be shock tower bolt had gotten loose on driver side. Dealer put lock tight and re torcked. Problem solved

Brandondan1

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 91 Civic Si
Country flag
I had a clunking when hitting bumps, turned out to be shock tower bolt had gotten loose on driver side. Dealer put lock tight and re torcked. Problem solved
Thanks! I have done the camber mod where you remove the extra pin from the shock tower, but I’ve double checked the torque on the other 3 tower bolts since then. I guess it can’t hurt to check again!

I hate to take the car to the dealer for anything because of certain horror stories lol.

rohnin

First Name
Iris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I hit a pothole and some hard bumps and now I get an occasional creaking from the front suspension when starting off and turning. Has anyone else experienced this, is something damaged?

bnotes17

First Name
noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic type r ; 2018 subaru wrx sti
Country flag
mine is a 2017 type r that's almost a year old this sept. but, only has 2850 miles to date. it started just yesterday, like a spongy, springy type noise coming from the suspension., passenger side. I just installed an invidia r400 yesterday and thought initially, I messed something up. but, I really thought it was coming from the suspension, 1-5 mph, while making a turn on my driveway. it had happened twice so far and am still investigating and your description seemed similar to mine. i'll keep you posted as I don't use my type r so often.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I hit a pothole and some hard bumps and now I get an occasional creaking from the front suspension when starting off and turning. Has anyone else experienced this, is something damaged?
Mine creaks as well and I did hit a pretty big pothole. I’m also lowered on swift springs

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag

Fish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CW
Just started to have suspension sound from the front right side.
It's repeatable by reversing while turning left.
It sounds like metallic spring noise with some squeal.
visibly cannot see anything wrong

mazotyper

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R #12386
Country flag
Just started to have suspension sound from the front right side.
It's repeatable by reversing while turning left.
It sounds like metallic spring noise with some squeal.
visibly cannot see anything wrong
Exactly same issue with my stock 18'R with just 2800 miles... such disappointment. :mad:

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
Holy shit, me too! Just came looking for something like this because my front right made a really weird metallic grinding/popping noise that scared the hell out me...I thought I ran over something pulling out of my driveway.

@Fish

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
grinding noises are a little different than knocks and can be caused by stuck rocks. Happened to me already once.

I too am getting a slight knock noise when starting from a stop. At one point i thought I heard it knocking while at speed as well... maybe i'll get it checked out when i take it in for an oil change. Just worried that they'll hammer the thing to "replicate" it.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Mine is becoming more frequent, usually starting from a stop. Anyone have this looked at yet?

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
2018 here - got a "clunk" sound twice when reversing slowly with the wheel turned. It almost sounded as if I gently hit something with the car. Was weird.
Sponsored