SURPRISE! Official: 2016 Civic Coupe to debut at LA Auto Show!

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Just so people are not set on the wrong ship, a majority of ALL vehicles will have a higher torsional rigidity with a sedan body versus a coupe. I know this to be the case through actual numbers for the E46 and 8thgen line up of vehicles.

AFIK it has to do with the B pillar section of the frame.
Also, smaller door openings on the sedan help them to be more rigid. RoryR is right, sedans tend to be more rigid.
Sponsored

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Man you are one picky guy! No wonder you have had that car for 17 years which is awesome. Well hopefully your dreams come true. We all can't wait to hear what the Si will offer. I am sure you eventually will find the car that makes you say ok time to replace. I know my list for the new Si I want around 220 hp and torque light only 2800 lbs led lights. Nice stereo. Prefer cloth dark with red Si letters not red seats. So I hear ya man. We all want what we want.
Oh forgot to add 8 dcT with paddle shifters and sales price around 26 k ha

10GCivicSi_Vs_5GPrelude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Honda Prelude
Oh forgot to add 8 dcT with paddle shifters and sales price around 26 k ha
Hey firsthonda - Thx for your reply! I see so many guys here wishing for the DCT and the first thing that comes to mind is that unless you have other drivers who will be driving your car, you really owe it to yourself to go stick! For a given car, same power & torque etc. stick will feel like it has WAY MORE power and very immediate response, plus safety benefits of slowing down via downshift on slippery roads.

...3 or 4 lessons, maybe rent one for a day or two of practice (some dealers will rent out their older used cars), and a whole new world of driving enjoyment opens up - a small investment that yields a lifetime of driving pleasure :) ....or at least until they stop selling manual cars in North America altogether :-(

....note to Robb as well: love your well-thought out posts and you sound like an ultimate enthusiast who owes it to yourself to go stick, given your oft-expressed hopes for the DCT!

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Hey firsthonda - Thx for your reply! I see so many guys here wishing for the DCT and the first thing that comes to mind is that unless you have other drivers who will be driving your car, you really owe it to yourself to go stick! For a given car, same power & torque etc. stick will feel like it has WAY MORE power and very immediate response, plus safety benefits of slowing down via downshift on slippery roads.

...3 or 4 lessons, maybe rent one for a day or two of practice (some dealers will rent out their older used cars), and a whole new world of driving enjoyment opens up - a small investment that yields a lifetime of driving pleasure :) ....or at least until they stop selling manual cars in North America altogether :-(

....note to Robb as well: love your well-thought out posts and you sound like an ultimate enthusiast who owes it to yourself to go stick, given your oft-expressed hopes for the DCT!
I actually drove the 15 Si and didn't do too bad. I think my problem is I am 35 I always owned automatics. I think I would do fine I guess my concern is that I would get tired of shifting manually or I get a job where I am in traffic alot and find a manual to be annoying. Thanks for that believe me I been thinking about sucking it up and going manual. I know some hot chick's who have Si's makes me feel like a real wus ha

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
Why will you need to take more pills? Ha jk
haha yeah man.

AT vs MT discussions derail a thread like religion or politics. can't even believe someone would throw that out there yet, the CivicX hasn't become that boring yet, has it?

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
haha yeah man.

AT vs MT discussions derail a thread like religion or politics. can't even believe someone would throw that out there yet, the CivicX hasn't become that boring yet, has it?
No. I am amped up on here ha. But for real what is lsd ha

Kane76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 TL
No. I am amped up on here ha. But for real what is lsd ha
Limited slip differential = A limited slip differential (LSD) is a device which automatically reduces the loss of drive which can result from spinning wheels on one side of an axle. Spinning wheels are most likely to result from cornering while on the gas, pulling away from a stand still or accelerating in a car with lots of power.

A normal differential allows the car to go around the corner with the outside wheel travelling further than the inside wheel without sliding. This is good for normal driving, but when you drive very heavy footed or when things are slippery, this normal differential allows the one wheel to spin and the other to just sit there and the car goes nowhere. A limited slip differential allows some slip so you can go around corners (like the normal differential) but limits the amount of slipping so when you are driving with a heavy foot or are stuck, the one wheel only spins somewhat before the other starts to pull.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Limited slip differential = A limited slip differential (LSD) is a device which automatically reduces the loss of drive which can result from spinning wheels on one side of an axle. Spinning wheels are most likely to result from cornering while on the gas, pulling away from a stand still or accelerating in a car with lots of power.

A normal differential allows the car to go around the corner with the outside wheel travelling further than the inside wheel without sliding. This is good for normal driving, but when you drive very heavy footed or when things are slippery, this normal differential allows the one wheel to spin and the other to just sit there and the car goes nowhere. A limited slip differential allows some slip so you can go around corners (like the normal differential) but limits the amount of slipping so when you are driving with a heavy foot or are stuck, the one wheel only spins somewhat before the other starts to pull.
Thanks I was actually going to look that up

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Hahaha, I was reading the Motor Trend article about this unveiling and caught this gem:

"Honda hasn’t released a teaser image for the 2016 Civic Coupe, but it should look similar to the concept. In fact, expect the production version to arrive largely unchanged from the concept we saw earlier, minus the 20-inch show wheels and the full-width taillight design.

The 2016 Honda Civic Coupe should receive the same powertrains as the new sedan that goes on sale this week. That means we should look for a 174-hp 1.5-liter turbocharged and direct-injected inline-four engine as well as a 158-hp 2.0-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder. On the sedan, drivers can opt for a CVT or six-speed manual. After the coupe debuts, Honda will eventually bring out Si models, a five-door hatch, and the high-performance Civic Type R for the U.S.
"

I don't even want a coupe, but I shuddered to think of the reaction here were this to be true. I'm assuming the full width design will be intact due to the patent drawing having it, so I think Motor Trend is wrong. Unless that design feature is reserved for the Si sedan and coupe.....

Last edited:

yef27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rsx
I've been waiting for the Si since forever now. Im excited to hear what the LA auto show will bring us about the Si