Suma Performance Installation Turn signal Wire

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Have the suma performance side markers DRL + turn signal. I've watched their install video, which asks to splice into the turn signal wire, but which wire is it in the harness. On both sides, the socket has three wires which, off the top of my head, are purple, gray and black. The Suma video doesn't explain the actual wire to tap into. I've seen other videos on Youtube for switchbacks and the color of the wire is different amongst so many vehicles. Some are amber. Some are gray.

For what it's worth, I have a '16 touring.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag

This is the video I followed. Gray and purple/tan color. Black usually ground and colored usually positive.

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks! I’m on kiddie duties at the moment so I can’t check outside. I think I have purple wires on both sides.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Use the middle wire on the side that only has 3 wires. Took me forever to figure this damn mod out, but it's actually the same headlight as the Type R, and that's how I found it... You have the LED's on the '16 touring right? If so this should work.

Honda Civic 10th gen Suma Performance Installation Turn signal Wire IMG_20191006_154027 (2)

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The voltage in this wire changes with the turn signal which is what changes your DRL from white to yellow/orange, so you shouldn't need to do 2 wires as stated above. Mine glow white and flash at the rate of the blinker from tapping this wire. Your harness/connector will most likely be different from the one on their site, that is for a normal headlight!

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Thanks! I’m on kiddie duties at the moment so I can’t check outside. I think I have purple wires on both sides.
Sorry forgot you have the touring. It’s different than the halogen headlight.

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Found the pic I snapped. This was the drivers side. Thanks for the replies!

Honda Civic 10th gen Suma Performance Installation Turn signal Wire DD6A7949-3B71-4BE7-A2B3-DB0FD3E02B1C

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely isn’t the purple wire. Successfully tapped into it. With headlights on, the side markers illuminates white. With headlights off (when DRL on the headlamps are on), the side marker is off. With turn signal on, side marker is off (but the side mirrors and headlamp still blinks). Other than tapping into the other two wires one by one, which I would like to avoid obviously, is there a way to test them without piercing wires?

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would a circuit tester work here to see which of the three wires is the turn signal?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
One wire will receive a constant 12v power, then your ground and the other wire should receive the power only when the turn signal is on just find the change with a multimeter. Purple would be the ground I believe and the grey or white whatever color that is, is the 12v. The solid color would be the constant and the one with like a black strip usually or a different color strip will be the turn signal 12v source your looking for

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for clarifying. I have a multimeter (and circuit tester). Just need to find them. Gotta wait until the kids are asleep before I can play.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Found the pic I snapped. This was the drivers side. Thanks for the replies!

DD6A7949-3B71-4BE7-A2B3-DB0FD3E02B1C.jpeg
Is this the touring headlight??? Mine has 7 wires. There is another plug down there with 3 but that's not the one you tap into, you might be pulling power from another function.

Also, I could not get those shitty splice connectors to work. I even bought more online and those didn't work either. I bit the bullet and stripped out a small section of the wire and wrapped the lead around, then electrical taped it in place. I spent a few hours stomping around my garage yelling at the thing before I thought "Hey, maybe that splicer isn't going to seat correctly.

I'm gonna try and snag a pic of where my red wire goes to, and maybe that will help you. Keep us posted!!

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is this the touring headlight??? Mine has 7 wires. There is another plug down there with 3 but that's not the one you tap into, you might be pulling power from another function.

Also, I could not get those shitty splice connectors to work. I even bought more online and those didn't work either. I bit the bullet and stripped out a small section of the wire and wrapped the lead around, then electrical taped it in place. I spent a few hours stomping around my garage yelling at the thing before I thought "Hey, maybe that splicer isn't going to seat correctly.

I'm gonna try and snag a pic of where my red wire goes to, and maybe that will help you. Keep us posted!!
LOL I know that feeling of not wanting to quit, going on a rampage in the garage.

Yes, if you can snap a pic, that would be great.

I started to think that maybe the power isn’t in that secondary socket (the one I have pictured) because the readings and the circuit tester didn’t make any sense. The irony will be that the correct wire will be in the headlight socket which is 100x easier to access compared to the other socket, especially on the passenger side. I had to get my wife to do it. Her small, thin arms and small hands could reach it easily.

Definitely share a pic if you can. Thanks!

OP
OP
verbalj

verbalj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which color wire did you tap into?

Thanks for the pics! Definitely helpful! No issues with functionality of the side marker acting as DRL and turn signal?
Sponsored