Country flag
How did the 4-way swipe work?
Sponsored

AnonymousPirate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen civic
I was just test driving a 2018 civic and this really pisses me off. I completely agree with @charleswrivers. They really should have kept the same hardware, but just simply had the option turned off by default in the settings. I really don't understand why Honda doesn't do common sense things like that. I also hate how they downgraded the position of the speedometer by putting it lower than the previous two generations.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also hate how they downgraded the position of the speedometer by putting it lower than the previous two generations.
I wholeheartedly agree. While the 2 tier thing kind if came off like a poor man's HUD to me at first, I thought it looked 10x better than the thing that passed for a HUD on the Mazda 3. I liked the ability to see speed without really taking my eyes off the road. I love the functionality of the cluster in the 10th gen but wished they'd just kept the 2 tier arrangement to spread the info out.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think it's disabled in the software, but I bet there's a way to enable it. Maybe we can update our 17 Si software to match 18 Si software?
Another way might be load Honda Hack on our Si, you can do practically anything you want with Honda Hack. I was going to do this anyway.
Well...just installed the Honda Hack basic version, and, while it says it can enable/disable steering wheel volume controls...it lies...or...possibly, if we replace the switch, that option will bring up the option to enable or disable it.

I wonder how much labor the dealer would charge to swap the switches...or if they'll even do it...i'm mechanically an idiot..so...there's that.

Pogi R

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 PMM Type R #00153
Country flag
So for muting you do a quick swipe up?

Any Type R owners try this?

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Definitely would like to know if any r owners tried this. I would do it if it was confirmed to work

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Definitely would like to know if any r owners tried this. I would do it if it was confirmed to work
I tried to observe my behavior with that control for a little bit and it looks like my fingers come in contact with that thing way too "loosely", i.e. if it were suddenly to become sensitive to that and adjust volume in response to a simple touch, I feel like that would be a complete mess, and would probably annoy the crap out of me. :) But, that's just me... to each their own, as always.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring - White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Just saw this thread. New 2018 Touring owner and was wondering if my volume button was malfunctioning. I actually don't mind clicking, but having a quick-swipe mute would be nice. Does anyone know why Honda made this change?

Anyway, you're all very impressive. Do Civic owners have a higher propensity to DIY stuff on cars? The way you're all casually talking about taking apart a steering wheel, disconnecting batteries, removing airbags?? I don't even change my own oil. LOL.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I actually don't mind clicking, but having a quick-swipe mute would be nice
It used to bother me too at first, but I found that just holding the lower side of that rocker switch down until it's muted works just fine. Takes about a second to silence, which for all practical purposes is as good as "instantly", at least to me. FWIW

Of course, a better option would be to make that switch a but shorter and add a separate 'mute' button next to it... But hey, nothing is perfect. :)

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Does anyone know why Honda made this change?
I'm pretty sure they did it because they decided it was a 'distraction' or could accidentally turn the volume up really loud, really quickly, and scare the driver. I'm sorry, but if you're that easily distracted...perhaps you should be home crocheting...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Awesome work Blacklude4. I just did this modification yesterday and I am excited to have the swipe function.

Civicxreptar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda civic coupe energy green peral
Country flag
@krees @Pogi R I plan on trying this since I jumped the gun and bought the switch after only reading the original post but will come back with answers once I do. I plan on doing it tomorrow since I have the switch in hand and miss the swipe function too much. I have a 18 ctr #16637 so it’s a late 18 model

Civicxreptar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@krees and any other ctr owners that stumble across this it does work on the ctr I just installed it and the swipe function works. Just make sure you order the right part number as stated earlier in the posts

Civicxreptar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for taking a risk and for the info!
Not a problem I’m glad it worked otherwise I’d have an extra switch laying around for no reason lol
Sponsored