Success!!! Steering volume swipe in an '18

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
Nope...hoping the existing switch would work, I mean...it has the swipe on it - it just isn't active. Not sure if it's the same part or not...if not...possibly something about that exact switch that he got activates the more advanced menu(s).
If you have a 2017 Civic that has a Sport mode(Si, Type-R) you will not be able to slide with the stock Switch Assembly.
I do not think this can be changed by ordering part #35880-TBA-A11 but I hope I'm wrong!
Sponsored

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you have a 2017 Civic that has a Sport mode(Si, Type-R) you will not be able to slide with the stock Switch Assembly.
I do not think this can be changed by ordering part #35880-TBA-A11 but I hope I'm wrong!
That's what the manual says, I understand that...but my feeling is, it is just disabled somewhere - I mean...why put the piece in WITH the slide if it can't somehow be enabled?? Does the '18 Si not even have the slide in the first place?

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
That's what the manual says, I understand that...but my feeling is, it is just disabled somewhere - I mean...why put the piece in WITH the slide if it can't somehow be enabled?? Does the '18 Si not even have the slide in the first place?
I think it's disabled in the software, but I bet there's a way to enable it. Maybe we can update our 17 Si software to match 18 Si software?
Another way might be load Honda Hack on our Si, you can do practically anything you want with Honda Hack. I was going to do this anyway.

OP
OP
Blacklude4

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
Did some sleuthing for you guys. It appears there are 3 part numbers for the steering volume switch:

-A11 is the swipe switch.
-2016-2017 civic sedan/coupes

-A01
-civics with base stereo (some LX,
Sport hatch etc.) The switch does not
have the info button or volume toggle

-A41
-2017 Si, Type R, hatch w/touchscreen
and all 2018 models
with touchscreen audio, hatch
included.

I am starting to think that the swipe audio is 100% hardware based-meaning the -A11 switch computes the swipe within the circuitry of the switch itself, and then sends the signal to the headunit as a basic up or down volume. Same as clicking the toggle button faster, or holding it down to adjust volume faster. Same signal path, just a different rate.

Honda Civic 10th gen Success!!!  Steering volume swipe in an '18 IMG_20180602_083832673

The -A11 switch and -A41 switches physically look identical. To test the hardware theory I plugged my old -A41 switch back in and swipe function was gone. Plug the -A11 switch in and swipe works again....

It appears that anyone with the -A41 switch would have success by swaping, regardless of what the diagnosis screen shows. Like I mentioned above, my screen looks like @TheBatman 's above and the new switch works perfectly. The only swap I would be not so sure about is a base stereo like a sport hatch...being that the switch has no volume control on the steering wheel, it is a crap shoot if it will work.

Nope...hoping the existing switch would work, I mean...it has the swipe on it - it just isn't active. Not sure if it's the same part or not...if not...possibly something about that exact switch that he got activates the more advanced menu(s)
Just to clarify, adding the swipe capable switch did not add any menu functions. There are no settings for that switch in my menus. I have disconnected the battery for an hour as well as multiple reboots on the stereo and no change. I believe cars that came with the swipe did have menu options. Software related. Would explain why I do not have options in my 2018.

In theory this should work just fine on a '17 Si, but we won't know for sure until a forum member installs a -A11 to verify.

Last edited:

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Did some sleuthing for you guys. It appears there are 3 part numbers for the steering volume switch:

-A01

-A41
-2017 Si, Type R, and all 2018 models
included.

I am starting to think that the swipe audio is 100% hardware based-meaning the -A11 switch computes the swipe within the circuitry of the switch itself, and then sends the signal to the headunit as a basic up or down volume. Same as clicking the toggle button faster, or holding it down to adjust volume faster. Same signal path, just a different rate.

IMG_20180602_083832673.jpg

The -A11 switch and -A41 switches physically look identical. To test the hardware theory I plugged my old -A41 switch back in and swipe function was gone. Plug the -A11 switch in and swipe works again....

It appears that anyone with the -A41 switch would have success by swaping, regardless of what the diagnosis screen shows. Like I mentioned above, my screen looks like @TheBatman 's above and the new switch works perfectly. The only swap I would be not so sure about is a base stereo like a sport hatch...being that the switch has no volume control on the steering wheel, it is a crap shoot if it will work.

Just to clarify, adding the swipe capable switch did not add any menu functions. There are no settings for that switch in my menus. I have disconnected the battery for an hour as well as multiple reboots on the stereo and no change. I believe cars that came with the swipe did have menu options. Software related. Would explain why I do not have options in my 2018.

In theory this should work just fine on a '17 Si, but we won't know for sure until a forum member installs a -A11 to verify.
Thanks for going the extra 10 mi on this one! I was wondering about that... Seems rather crappy of Honda to tease me by putting a non-functional-no-matter-what-you-do swipe on it. The only issue I'd have is I'd be afraid (very afraid) of the airbag removal... My luck it would go off, adding another few hundred to the task.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag

-A01

-A41
-2017 Si, Type R, and all 2018 models
included.

I am starting to think that the swipe audio is 100% hardware based

IMG_20180602_083832673.jpg

It appears that anyone with the -A41 switch would have success by swaping, regardless of what the diagnosis screen shows.

This is possibly great news. I didn't know my Si had a different part #. I'm going to buy the A11 now and give it a shot. If it works I'm going to be very happy!
Thanks for all your posts BL!

OP
OP
Blacklude4

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for going the extra 10 mi on this one! I was wondering about that... Seems rather crappy of Honda to tease me by putting a non-functional-no-matter-what-you-do swipe on it. The only issue I'd have is I'd be afraid (very afraid) of the airbag removal... My luck it would go off, adding another few hundred to the task.
I hear ya on the airbags. In the old days there were shorting plugs used to disable the airbag once the battery was disconnected.

I won't post pictures due to copyrights, but this is the shorthand from the Honda sevice manual for the 10th Gen:

For pulling the drivers airbag disconnect the negative battery terminal and wait at least 3 minutes. You can then pull the airbag. Do not disassemble the airbag itself or perform any electrical tests like testing resistance etc with the terminals. Do not drop etc etc...treat it like an egg:p

They also say to replace the two torx screws that hold the airbag from the sides as they come with thread locker pre-applied. I am not saying this is the correct way, but I threw a couple drops of blue threadlock on when I reassembled the airbag/horn to steering wheel just to be safe. It also says to make sure airbag is centered when remounted. If it is not, loosen the two torx and tighten them in an alternating pattern until both are tight. (6.9 ft. lbs) Once everything is together test horn operation and verify SRS dash light comes on and then off during vehical startup (it is red on my car, left side of guage cluster, looks like a guy in a seat holding a beach ball)

Another side note: the single black wire hooked to backside of airbag is for the horn. It looks like a typical spade connector, but actually had a locking tab that needs to be pressed to release.

Hope this helps:)

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
So help me here for a moment because I'm not sure I fully understand the swipe thing. The switches look absolutely identical to me in the side-by-side pic posted here. But the volume control on the A-41 (which is the current stock switch on '17 & '18 Civics) clicks at either end while that of the A-11 replacement does not click at all but instead registers sliding finger pressure?

OP
OP
Blacklude4

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So help me here for a moment because I'm not sure I fully understand the swipe thing. The switches look absolutely identical to me in the side-by-side pic posted here. But the volume control on the A-41 (which is the current stock switch on '17 & '18 Civics) clicks at either end while that of the A-11 replacement does not click at all but instead registers sliding finger pressure?
-A11 switch does both the swipe and the click at the ends.

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
-A11 switch does both the swipe and the click at the ends.
It begs the question why they would change that design to something "less than". Is it possible Civic owners complained about the control's sensitivity - perhaps accidentally blasting the volume while fumbling at the other proximal buttons on the control pad? I'm definitely interested in this mod but I think I'd have to answer that question first because it seems they may have downgraded the design for a reason.

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
I had it on my 2016 and i loved it. I never had any problems with it. Of all the complaints i see on the forum about the infotainment, none are related to the swipe (except when they removed that function).

carrsteven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI, 2017 Civic EX-L, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
It begs the question why they would change that design to something "less than". Is it possible Civic owners complained about the control's sensitivity - perhaps accidentally blasting the volume while fumbling at the other proximal buttons on the control pad? I'm definitely interested in this mod but I think I'd have to answer that question first because it seems they may have downgraded the design for a reason.
I read somewhere, can't remember where exactly. That the reason it was removed was for what you stated. People were 'accidentally' blasting their radios while making turns or some other such nonsense so that was the reasoning behind removing the swipe ability.
Sponsored