Success!!! Steering volume swipe in an '18

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
Not quite a volume knob....but I took a chance and ordered a steering wheel switch assembly from a 2016 civic. The diagnosis screen in the head unit in my '18 Si showed the swipe function, so I took a chance hoping the software would recognize the 2016 switch, assuming the wire harness would support it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Success!!!  Steering volume swipe in an '18 keysIdonnotknow.JPG

Well, happy to report it is plug and play! :headbang: I really like the difference compared to clicking the button up or down. It is a much faster volume change, as well as it has the quick mute function. It also gives about twice the volume change compared to the swipe on the head unit, with a much more 'refined' feeling. So far I have had no issue with accidentally hitting it.

I still need to try a hard reset on the head unit. I am pretty sure I read the 2016 had a setting in the menus to disable the swipe if desired. I did a quick scan and didn't see it-I am wondering if a hard boot will bring up the option once the software sees the switch on boot up.

Part number for those who are interested. It runs about $60. Install was pretty straight forward. Took about 20 minutes.

Make sure you get this part number as the newer #'s have no swipe:(

Honda Civic 10th gen Success!!!  Steering volume swipe in an '18 IMG_20180530_214349904

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work. My '17 has the swipe feature and the quick swipe to mute. It's awesome. Honestly, I don't miss the volume knob at all.

And... the steering wheel control means I can still keep my eyes on the road and not have to fumble with a knob.

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If I'm in a junkyard and see a '16-17 with the same knob... I'll probably have to leave with it if it's just a few bucks.

Great info to know though for those that live with burning hatred of the lack of a knob. For those folks, it could almost be a game changer. Me? I love lamp.

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Nice job man! Might look into this one day! Was it hard to replace? How did you go about removing that piece from the steering wheel?

CrippleRipple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si (LSM)*SOLD* & 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T (SNP)
Country flag
Awesome! Appreciate the info & great job!
I want this, every time I use it in the wife's '18 CRV I get so jealous!

Honda if anything would even have Henry Ford clapping his hands on the amount of "interchangeable" parts that fit amoung their entire lineup. Generation after generation.....right down to the old "Frankenstein" motor builds. One thing I really love about Honda.

My 1981 Honda NA50 had the same horn as my '11 CB1000R which was made in Itay and a 13-14' CRF250L made in Taiwan! Just to give ya an idea! lol

Leetcivx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
Thats great! i have been looking forward to your post since you said that you ordered it last week. Now i just need to find a place where i can get it for around $60 like you did. I just called the dealer where i bought my car and they told me $92....

MannyP

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not quite a volume knob....but I took a chance and ordered a steering wheel switch assembly from a 2016 civic. The diagnosis screen in the head unit in my '18 Si showed the swipe function, so I took a chance hoping the software would recognize the 2016 switch, assuming the wire harness would support it.

keysIdonnotknow.JPG

Well, happy to report it is plug and play! :headbang: I really like the difference compared to clicking the button up or down. It is a much faster volume change, as well as it has the quick mute function. It also gives about twice the volume change compared to the swipe on the head unit, with a much more 'refined' feeling. So far I have had no issue with accidentally hitting it.

I still need to try a hard reset on the head unit. I am pretty sure I read the 2016 had a setting in the menus to disable the swipe if desired. I did a quick scan and didn't see it-I am wondering if a hard boot will bring up the option once the software sees the switch on boot up.

Part number for those who are interested. It runs about $60. Install was pretty straight forward. Took about 20 minutes.

Make sure you get this part number as the newer #'s have no swipe:(

IMG_20180530_214349904.jpg
how did you get to the menu?

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
So....even though the '17 has the swipe...it can't just be activated in the software??? I would have bet money that it could...but yeah - how'd you get to that menu??

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is tits... Ordered. Thank you so much to the OP for being the guinea pig for this ha.

OP
OP
Blacklude4

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
Nice job man! Might look into this one day! Was it hard to replace? How did you go about removing that piece from the steering wheel?
Not hard at all. This is a long, but detailed video on pulling the wheel apart. You do NOT need to take the steering wheel off...

Disconnect negative battery terminal.
Pull air bag out-two torx screws. One from each side. Unplug 2 plugs plus ground.
Two screws and one ground screw allows you to pop out silver trim bezel. Disconnect volume switch, pry it out. Then re-assemble.

So....even though the '17 has the swipe...it can't just be activated in the software??? I would have bet money that it could...but yeah - how'd you get to that menu??

I dove deep into the sub menus, but didn't find anything that looked to be just a software option. Being that all the newer switches have a different part number I think it was a hardware change by Honda to get rid of the option. Honestly I think if they would have left it, and made it a user option to disable a lot less of us would be missing a volume knob so much. The slider feels like I am using a knob with one finger in 180° movements. :thumbsup:

how did you get to the menu?

With the head unit on, hold down the top dimmer button (above the audio power button) audio power and menu buttons at the same time. Brings up a sub menu. Click on the top one, self diagnosis mode. In the next screen click on "hard key". That brings up the screen shot in above post. As you hit each button it high lights green. If I remember correctly the car has to be running to make the hard key button work. Keep in mind there are settings within all these menus you may not want to screw with....:rolleyes:
Not sure why, but with the new switch in, the swipe boxes do not show up anymore on that screen. I also did a hard boot hoping the option would show up to disable swipe in the regular menus, but it did not. On cars with it from the factory, it is under 'system' and 'other'...ehh...I like it enough I don't mind not being able to turn it off:)

Thank you all for all the thanks!! Its a lot of fun when something like this works out, and even more fun when you can share it with fellow enthusiasts!:D

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
ordered! thanks

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Not hard at all. This is a long, but detailed video on pulling the wheel apart. You do NOT need to take the steering wheel off...

Disconnect negative battery terminal.
Pull air bag out-two torx screws. One from each side. Unplug 2 plugs plus ground.
Two screws and one ground screw allows you to pop out silver trim bezel. Disconnect volume switch, pry it out. Then re-assemble.

I dove deep into the sub menus, but didn't find anything that looked to be just a software option. Being that all the newer switches have a different part number I think it was a hardware change by Honda to get rid of the option. Honestly I think if they would have left it, and made it a user option to disable a lot less of us would be missing a volume knob so much. The slider feels like I am using a knob with one finger in 180° movements. :thumbsup:

With the head unit on, hold down the top dimmer button (above the audio power button) audio power and menu buttons at the same time. Brings up a sub menu. Click on the top one, self diagnosis mode. In the next screen click on "hard key". That brings up the screen shot in above post. As you hit each button it high lights green. If I remember correctly the car has to be running to make the hard key button work. Keep in mind there are settings within all these menus you may not want to screw with....:rolleyes:
Not sure why, but with the new switch in, the swipe boxes do not show up anymore on that screen. I also did a hard boot hoping the option would show up to disable swipe in the regular menus, but it did not. On cars with it from the factory, it is under 'system' and 'other'...ehh...I like it enough I don't mind not being able to turn it off:)

Thank you all for all the thanks!! Its a lot of fun when something like this works out, and even more fun when you can share it with fellow enthusiasts!:D
This is something that either the Honda techs don't want to tell anyone...or...they're just clueless. I asked at two different Honda garages, and the most that one of them told me was that IF it was possible, it would probably require a scanner more advanced than Honda supplies them with, to go deeper into the software. I'll give this a try this weekend and hope for the best. It has irritated me from day 1, that in our '16 EX-L, I could use the swipe...but in mine, even though the swipe is there...it couldn't be used.

Thanks Honda.

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
Bravo. Couldn't imagine how sucky it would be to not have this functionality.
Sponsored