Subaru vs Honda: traded in my 18 STI for a 2019 Si!

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Accord LX (wife's)
Country flag
Was a lifelong Honda/Acura guy until the 2010s (when Honda/Acura offerings were their all-time worst, in my opinion), when I finally went with Subarus. But... traded it in last night for a 2019 Si Sedan. Loving being back in a Honda again!

Honda Civic 10th gen Subaru vs Honda: traded in my 18 STI for a 2019 Si! 48242370851_be051a2b1a_k

Honda Civic 10th gen Subaru vs Honda: traded in my 18 STI for a 2019 Si! 48242461407_6d05842613_z

Pic for attention: definitely enjoyed looking at the CTR at the dealership... we can all dream, right?
Honda Civic 10th gen Subaru vs Honda: traded in my 18 STI for a 2019 Si! 48242461477_60c7d7c1b8_z

When I joined this forum a couple years ago and was researching cars, I know a lot of folks had the same "Subaru vs Honda" questions. So, here are my thoughts:

The STI was a beast. The power, rumble, and sharp cornering let me know I was in a real performance-oriented car. Problem is, it ALWAYS felt like I was in a performance-oriented car. Being in my 30s now and having a commute, I got sick of the bad gas mileage, engine/road noise on the highway, and stiff/unforgiving suspension on crappy roads.

Driving the Si actually feels like a combination of the base WRX and a new Accord; still sporty and engaging to drive, but quieter and a bit more refined. I actually feel the Si seats hold me in place better than the sweet Recaros in my STI did.

STI Pros:
More power, very deep rumble/exhaust note, better cabin visibility, true track suspension, brakes on par with $120,000+ cars, flat-bottom steering wheel, stiff clutch, getting the "Subie wave" from every WRX/STI you see on the road

STI Cons:
Loud and bumpy for daily driving, bad fuel economy, very poor stereo system, costs $15,000 more than the Si,

If anyone has any questions between the Si and any Subarus, hit me up.

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Oh no !!!

My friend check your testosterone levels.
I think they are going down.

For me is hard to accept that you let a monster like your STI go because you wanted better mpgs and a more smoother ride.

Mark my words you will deny it to the crowd but deep inside you will miss that car a lot and will regret this decision.

I been in that position before.

:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I have never been into Subaru, but instead came from more than 25 years of trouble-free Toyota ownership. Last year when my daughter started college I gave her my 2006 Camry SE (3.3L V6) and was in the market for a 2018 Camry SE, ended up seeing a Civic Sports hatch which lead me to an Si and lots of research, which led to me buying the Si. Great car, economical and lots of fun. No regrets

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
Came from an '04 WRX, which I loved, except for the gas mileage. When shopping for a new car, I really wasn't all that thrilled w/ Subaru's current offerings. Maybe if they made a hatchback WRX still, I would have gone that route. Where I live, a FWD with snow tires is sufficient 95% of the time. I'm super happy w/ my Si so far. It's no monster off the line, but it's plenty fast for a daily driver and you can get 45 mpg highway... best you might get in a WRX is low 30s. I will miss hooning around in my Subaru in the snow or on gravel roads I sometimes travel.

Curious how you feel the Si shifter feels compared to the STI?

Congrats on the purchase!!

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
STI Pros:
More power, very deep rumble/exhaust note, better cabin visibility, true track suspension, brakes on par with $120,000+ cars, flat-bottom steering wheel, stiff clutch, getting the "Subie wave" from every WRX/STI you see on the road
So, some of these things are fixable:

More power. Nothing a tune won't fix. Add a few bolt-ons and you should get close to the performance numbers you're use to.

Very deep rumble/exhaust note. Install a stiffer Rear Motor mount. Then you can customize the exhaust to taste.

Better cabin visibility. Short of a "saws-all" I think we're stuck with this one.

True track suspension. Have you looked into the Honda Factory Performance suspension upgrade?

Brakes on par with $120,000 cars. This one can be improved upon, but at what cost and trouble.

Flat-bottom steering wheel. There are several vendors calling your name.

Stiff clutch. If you get a tune and some bolt-ons, you're going to need that stiffer clutch. There may be a Clutch Masters with your name on it.

The "Subie wave". Well you're an old Honda guy, so you know that only a small percentage of us really care enough to wave.

I've just achieved the two year mark in the ownership of my Si. I love it more than the day I bought it. Now that the warranty is up, I'm thinking about tuning it. I already like the stiffer Rear Motor Mount, and I'm planning a single mass flywheel long before I really "need" to change the clutch.

Congratulations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hicompb18c1

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Came from an '04 WRX, which I loved, except for the gas mileage. When shopping for a new car, I really wasn't all that thrilled w/ Subaru's current offerings. Maybe if they made a hatchback WRX still, I would have gone that route. Where I live, a FWD with snow tires is sufficient 95% of the time. I'm super happy w/ my Si so far. It's no monster off the line, but it's plenty fast for a daily driver and you can get 45 mpg highway... best you might get in a WRX is low 30s. I will miss hooning around in my Subaru in the snow or on gravel roads I sometimes travel.

Curious how you feel the Si shifter feels compared to the STI?

Congrats on the purchase!!
Thanks! Agreed that the hatchback WRX would be awesome to have around still. Same with a hatch Si - where is it?!?

So far the Si shifter is noticeably smoother than either of my STI's were. And I imagine it will become even better as it breaks in a bit.

OP
OP
hicompb18c1

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So, some of these things are fixable:

Stiff clutch. If you get a tune and some bolt-ons, you're going to need that stiffer clutch. There may be a Clutch Masters with your name on it.

The "Subie wave". Well you're an old Honda guy, so you know that only a small percentage of us really care enough to wave.

I've just achieved the two year mark in the ownership of my Si. I love it more than the day I bought it. Now that the warranty is up, I'm thinking about tuning it. I already like the stiffer Rear Motor Mount, and I'm planning a single mass flywheel long before I really "need" to change the clutch.

Congratulations.
Ha, agreed on the wave part. It's usually only the guys with very well-modded Hondas that give the nod or wave, huh?

As for the clutch, I think that and the tune will definitely be part of the upgrade maybe in a year or so. I'm impressed with the results some people on here have had just from the tune!

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I went from a 300 whp bugeye wrx, to a 430whp c5z06, to a 500whp EvoX, to my nearly stock 17Si. Took about 15 years but I finally grew tired of loud exhaust, lopey idle, turbo noises, track geared suspension, and lousy fuel economy. Getting married and having kids greatly changed my priorities.

OP
OP
hicompb18c1

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went from a 300 whp bugeye wrx, to a 430whp c5z06, to a 500whp EvoX, to my nearly stock 17Si. Took about 15 years but I finally grew tired of loud exhaust, lopey idle, turbo noises, track geared suspension, and lousy fuel economy. Getting married and having kids greatly changed my priorities.
Yep, I feel ya. I still want the power, but I'd have to have 2 cars. Just couldn't keep daily driving/traffic commuting in a 19mpg car that's too loud for me to even have a conversation with passengers lol

flash_company

First Name
Anton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I hear ya lol.

I actually built my STI to 408whp (pump gas), and decided it was no longer daily drivable with my back issues.

But I NEVER want to sell it, so that’s when I got my Civic Si to daily drive.
Love both cars.. they make such a good pair, the fun but conservative Honda to daily, and the raw built STI as a weekend car.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I hear ya lol.

I actually built my STI to 408whp (pump gas), and decided it was no longer daily drivable with my back issues.

But I NEVER want to sell it, so that’s when I got my Civic Si to daily drive.
Love both cars.. they make such a good pair, the fun but conservative Honda to daily, and the raw built STI as a weekend car.
I sold my bugeye to my younger brother. He put an EFR 7163 on it, did headwork and put a bigger downpipe on it. That poor EJ205 is making 450whp on E85. Crazy thing is he drives over an hour away to fill up the tank. He lives around the corner from me so I still get to drive it once in a while. Thing is, I got tired of it. It is too raw, too loud (screamer/dumped EWG). He is married too now and probably starting a family soon so it will probably be used less and less over time. Sometimes I think of buying it back from him.

OP
OP
hicompb18c1

hicompb18c1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Gotta say ouch on this trade. I really th like my Si coupe ---- but ----
Definitely a downgrade, but a better move for me. I wasn't negative equity on the STI, and paying about $300 per month less now.
Sponsored