Strange sound at startup

edwanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Vehicle Showcase
I've recently started to hear a strange sound from time to time when I start my 16 civic. It's like a winding sound or something, I don't know how to explain it, it kind of sound like there's something wrong. It's hard to catch because it doesn't always do it. I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else and if anyone has a clue as to what it is?
Sponsored

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I've recently started to hear a strange sound from time to time when I start my 16 civic. It's like a winding sound or something, I don't know how to explain it, it kind of sound like there's something wrong. It's hard to catch because it doesn't always do it. I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else and if anyone has a clue as to what it is?
Just curious, is your A/C on?

OP
OP
edwanny

edwanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Vehicle Showcase
Just curious, is your A/C on?
Sometimes and sometimes it's not, I though that maybe it could be a fan or something but it doesn't quite sound like that, it kind of sounds like it's a part of the engine.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes and sometimes it's not, I though that maybe it could be a fan or something but it doesn't quite sound like that, it kind of sounds like it's a part of the engine.
Definitely take it in, see if it can be replicated at the dealership.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is that exactly?
I was replying to the prior post who said perhaps the noise is the turbo spooling up, I asked does it spool up as soon as you start the car........

OP
OP
edwanny

edwanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I meant to reply to the other post as well lol I meant to ask what is when a turbo spools?

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I've noticed a gradually increasing RPM whine from the engine on cold starts and wonder if it's just the turbo increasing in RPM as the engine starts. Not quite spooling up to produce boost but just increasing in speed.

Another thread brought this up and the poster was adamant that it was not the rad fan. I'll have to start it with the hood up and see what it is.

OP
OP
edwanny

edwanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion
Vehicle Showcase
Now I kind of have something to compare the strange sound to. It sounds the same way the emergency break sounds when you activate it. But I've payed attention and even when the emergency break isn't engaged it makes this weird sound.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now I kind of have something to compare the strange sound to. It sounds the same way the emergency break sounds when you activate it. But I've payed attention and even when the emergency break isn't engaged it makes this weird sound.
Did you take it back to the dealership yet??

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I've had mine do this a couple times as well. Reminds me of the noise a starter makes when you try to start an already started engine. Very unpleasant sound, but hard to hear because the cabin is so quiet.

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine do this a couple times as well. Reminds me of the noise a starter makes when you try to start an already started engine. Very unpleasant sound, but hard to hear because the cabin is so quiet.
Have you taken it to the dealership? Mine is very quiet at start up, so if yours is making noises you should take it in

TyBu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Have you taken it to the dealership? Mine is very quiet at start up, so if yours is making noises you should take it in
It's happened to me maybe 3 times over a couple weeks and I've never ONCE had a positive experience telling a mechanic "it sometimes makes a funny noise". I'll mention it if I bring it in for something else :)
Sponsored