Strange noise from Hatchbacks roof

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
Hi guys!

We could read many threads about some rattling from dashboard and other places, but I think what I have for you is a new issue :D

You know the panel for opening the roof on the Civic? Just in fornt of it, towards the rear, is furnishing that ends just before the glass sunroof.
Well, mine "rattles" but it isn't really rattling, it is more like a sound of torn paper, something being sticky and glueing/ungluing itself or a sound of Velcro...

When I push the inside roof furnishing, it stops. When I let go of the material, it is quite for a while, but after a short moment you can hear Velcro bzzzzzzt and there you go, this annoying noise again.

I am sure it is something minor, but nevertheless, annoying as hell.

http://gofile.me/2SZL4/iQlAWqNXd
Sponsored

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi guys!

We could read many threads about some rattling from dashboard and other places, but I think what I have for you is a new issue :D

You know the panel for opening the roof on the Civic? Just in fornt of it, towards the rear, is furnishing that ends just before the glass sunroof.
Well, mine "rattles" but it isn't really rattling, it is more like a sound of torn paper, something being sticky and glueing/ungluing itself or a sound of Velcro...

When I push the inside roof furnishing, it stops. When I let go of the material, it is quite for a while, but after a short moment you can hear Velcro bzzzzzzt and there you go, this annoying noise again.

I am sure it is something minor, but nevertheless, annoying as hell.

http://gofile.me/2SZL4/iQlAWqNXd
The fix is a few posts down. The op of the thread I linked figured it all out!

http://www.civicx.com/threads/stran...ng-from-dashboard-area-while-bumpy-road.9084/

As a side note, I clicked your link and it brought me to a page that seemed to be trying to initiate a download without my consent. Needless to say you might want to find a new hosting site, that link has phising written all over it.

OP
OP
un hombre

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The fix is a few posts down. The op of the thread I linked figured it all out!

http://www.civicx.com/threads/stran...ng-from-dashboard-area-while-bumpy-road.9084/

As a side note, I clicked your link and it brought me to a page that seemed to be trying to initiate a download without my consent. Needless to say you might want to find a new hosting site, that link has phising written all over it.
Thanks for the update.

The noise does not come from the dashboard, but from the roof area above me, very close to the roof opening console. It is not the same problem as from the link you gave me.
If you have a closer look at the footage, you may get a hint where it is coming from. I put the camera so close to it so that the microphone catches the sound.

The file is hosted on my home disk drive - don't worry about malware or anything. It is my own NAS box :)

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the update.

The noise does not come from the dashboard, but from the roof area above me, very close to the roof opening console.

The file is hosted on my home disk drive - don't worry about malware or anything. It is my own NAS box :)
The op of the thread I linked thought it was behind his dash, but tracked it to beneath (above?) the light fixture in front of the sunroof between the roof liner and metal roof. Trust me it's the fix you're looking for, just take a look.

Edit: you're actually looking for the last post in the thread.

OP
OP
un hombre

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The op of the thread I linked thought it was behind his dash, but tracked it to beneath (above?) the light fixture in front of the sunroof between the roof liner and metal roof. Trust me it's the fix you're looking for, just take a look.

Edit: you're actually looking for the last post in the thread.
Thanks for that, I had a read. Might be worth investigating, however I do not have a metal sound and I know exactly that it is not coming from the light area. The sound is softer, Velcro like and it is coming just before the sunroof ends and sunroof panel starts.
I have located it by touch, i.e. I know where to push it just a tiny bit so that the sound goes away...

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for that, I had a read. Might be worth investigating, however I do not have a metal sound and I know exactly that it is not coming from the light area. The sound is softer, Velcro like and it is coming just before the sunroof ends and sunroof panel starts.
I have located it by touch, i.e. I know where to push it just a tiny bit so that the sound goes away...
Hmm, you may have found a new than!

Chillantro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport MT
I have that exact sound. Drives me insane.

Msquared

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch w/Honda Sensing
THREAD BUMP.

I have had a rattle since purchasing my Civic 2.5 weeks ago. At first I thought it was coming from the passenger side B pillar, but upon further inspection, it's coming from the headliner to the right of the sunroof.

Because I work at a dealer, I would just have the guys at work look at it. However, I have some trepidation about them completely dismantling the headliner, etc. I don't want anything to get messed up or any other problems to be created. However, the rattle is annoying, and only stops when I press on the headliner.

AegisPrime88

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback - Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know if someone came up with a permanent solution, but I, too, started hearing a rattling noise at 1.5k-2k RPM that drove me nuts. Like Msquared, I thought it was a B-pillar, then found out it was the headliner up near the sunroof. I actually had some of these lying around, so instead of trying (and possibly failing) to glue the headliner (which I figured was the part vibrating) to the bottom of the sunroof assembly, I decided to try cutting one of the felt pads in half (so its a semi circle rather than a full one) and nestling it between the headliner and he sunroof. It's perfectly hidden, and after a 100 mi. drive yesterday, I can safely say I didn't hear the rattle once. Your mileage may vary, but since it seemed to work for me, I thought I'd pass it along....

Last edited:

Schumy67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HONDA CIVIC 2017 HATCHBACK BLUE
Don't know if someone came up with a permanent solution, but I, too, started hearing a rattling noise at 1.5k-2k RPM that drove me nuts. Like Msquared, I thought it was a B-pillar, then found out it was the headliner up near the sunroof. I actually had some of these lying around, so instead of trying (and possibly failing) to glue the headliner (which I figured was the part vibrating) to the bottom of the sunroof assembly, I decided to try cutting one of the felt pads in half (so its a semi circle rather than a full one) and nestling it between the headliner and he sunroof. It's perfectly hidden, and after a 100 mi. drive yesterday, I can safely say I didn't hear the rattle once. Your mileage may vary, but since it seemed to work for me, I thought I'd pass it along....
Hello this rattle noise drives me crazy. I have not really well understand what you did... maybe you could make a picture to show us what you have done and where ? Thks you

AegisPrime88

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback - Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at work, but in an effort to try and get back to you sooner, I threw his document together. The first is a picture of a similar car to our Civic hatch. The part in the red box is the headliner where it meets the sunroof, and - at least to my ear - the vibration appears to be coming from around this spot. The bottom (very hastily drawn MS Paint pictures) are sort of a cutaway of the area highlighted in that first red box. The sunroof assembly is the large, vertical block, and the headliner kind of swoops up underneath it. I feel like the vibration was occurring here, because I pressed all over the roof in order to dampen the sound, but this was the only spot where I could press one finger and reliably stop the rattle. I took my felt disc (you could probably use whatever you want - I just had some lying around and they happened to be an appropriate thickness and a workable material), cut it in half, because I didn't really need the whole thing, and wedged it underneath the sunroof assembly so that it went between it and the headliner. Even though these discs had an adhesive back, which could be handy, I suppose, I didn't use it - I wanted to test the fix first. When I pushed it down in, it was a tighter fit than I expected (and much tighter than I depict in my crappy drawings), but I certainly didn't feel like I was stretching anything out of place. I just had to make sure it sat below the sunroof's track, so that the roof would be able to open and shut without any issues.

If you try a similar fix, I would see if you can replicate the vibration either through driving or engine revs, and try and pinpoint the exact location to put your selected "dampener" by pulling lightly on the top edge of the headliner around that area (as if you were pulling it down). All I needed to do was touch (with no pressure) the edge of the headliner in a particular area and that was a enough to dampen the sound. That seemed, in my mind, to back up the idea that the vibration was being caused by the headliner being just the right distance away from the sunroof assembly above it to cause sound. I pinpointed my vibration to the back, driver's side corner of the sunroof cutout. I pulled down ever so slightly in that area of the cut out, and the sound stopped reliably. I wedged the disc between the sunroof and the headliner in this location, pushing down so that it was between the assembly and the headliner, and out of the way of the sunroof track. That seemed to work for me.

This noise was really starting to make me hate my brand new car. It would be awesome if this is all it was for you guys, too....

Honda Civic 10th gen Strange noise from Hatchbacks roof Hatchback Sunroof Vibration

Schumy67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HONDA CIVIC 2017 HATCHBACK BLUE
I'm at work, but in an effort to try and get back to you sooner, I threw his document together. The first is a picture of a similar car to our Civic hatch. The part in the red box is the headliner where it meets the sunroof, and - at least to my ear - the vibration appears to be coming from around this spot. The bottom (very hastily drawn MS Paint pictures) are sort of a cutaway of the area highlighted in that first red box. The sunroof assembly is the large, vertical block, and the headliner kind of swoops up underneath it. I feel like the vibration was occurring here, because I pressed all over the roof in order to dampen the sound, but this was the only spot where I could press one finger and reliably stop the rattle. I took my felt disc (you could probably use whatever you want - I just had some lying around and they happened to be an appropriate thickness and a workable material), cut it in half, because I didn't really need the whole thing, and wedged it underneath the sunroof assembly so that it went between it and the headliner. Even though these discs had an adhesive back, which could be handy, I suppose, I didn't use it - I wanted to test the fix first. When I pushed it down in, it was a tighter fit than I expected (and much tighter than I depict in my crappy drawings), but I certainly didn't feel like I was stretching anything out of place. I just had to make sure it sat below the sunroof's track, so that the roof would be able to open and shut without any issues.

If you try a similar fix, I would see if you can replicate the vibration either through driving or engine revs, and try and pinpoint the exact location to put your selected "dampener" by pulling lightly on the top edge of the headliner around that area (as if you were pulling it down). All I needed to do was touch (with no pressure) the edge of the headliner in a particular area and that was a enough to dampen the sound. That seemed, in my mind, to back up the idea that the vibration was being caused by the headliner being just the right distance away from the sunroof assembly above it to cause sound. I pinpointed my vibration to the back, driver's side corner of the sunroof cutout. I pulled down ever so slightly in that area of the cut out, and the sound stopped reliably. I wedged the disc between the sunroof and the headliner in this location, pushing down so that it was between the assembly and the headliner, and out of the way of the sunroof track. That seemed to work for me.

This noise was really starting to make me hate my brand new car. It would be awesome if this is all it was for you guys, too....

Hatchback Sunroof Vibration.jpg
I really thanks you and i will try that this week end. It's more clear now with your draws and the photo. We stay in touch and i will tell you if i succeed in. Best regards from France by the way.

Msquared

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch w/Honda Sensing
I'm at work...

Hatchback Sunroof Vibration.jpg
AegisPrime88, thanks so much for your reply and solution! I am just now checking this thread (in-laws in from out of state plus working all week). It's funny, because completely separately from yourself, I, too, used materials at my disposal to help alleviate the noise!

Like yourself, the rattling was making me really annoyed and disappointed. Particularly because this is the first new car that I've ever NOT leased, and I rolled disequity from a prior lease into an 84-month loan. So I'm stuck with this car for a while, and I was getting worried that I'd have to deal with either the rattling, or the annoyance of having it "fixed" constantly.

At the beginning of last week, I had had some of the guys at the Honda dealership I work at take a look at the situation. They explained to me that the headliner is attached by a hard, industrial Velcro rather than clips, which is part of the problem. They supposedly "adjusted" the headliner, but not only did the rattle come back on the right side, but also on the left side, right above my head!! :banghead:

Last night, I decided to get crafty. I had some leftover quilt batting from a project, and I cut it into strips and stuffed it into the exact same area where you put your furniture pads. The idea is to create a barrier between the metal frame around the sunroof and the headliner. So far, so good. The nice thing is, I have plenty of this batting on hand and can just stuff more in there if what I have already isn't enough.

Honda Civic 10th gen Strange noise from Hatchbacks roof 20170923_213055~2

Aiirik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic hatchback sport WOP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
possible to get better pictures of where it was placed to stop the rattle? i've got the same problem but i dont want to just stuff the whole roof with material if i dont need to :p
Sponsored