Stop worrying so much about oil brand

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure how my reading comprehension is low :crazy:. Seems like everybody in this thread is concerned about how people spend their money on oil changes.

I get what you guys are saying and I understand there’s a lot of distrust for EPA ratings. However, oil has come a long way in modern times. There is literally nothing but hearsay being spread in this thread. Go to any car forum and you’ll see the same. People talk about how the manufacturers recommended oil weight isn’t the best for the engine like it’s some sort of conspiracy.

I put nothing but factory recommended oil in my cars and have never had a problem—and I race my cars (not my civic obviously). A WRX, Miata, and now my Corvette. My 2011 WRX I raced for years with the factory recommend 5w30 without issue. The bearing issue is completely overblown. The 4 cyl ringland on the EJ257 is not; one of my racing buddies went through three engines on stock and stage 1 tunes. Yes the 5w30 shears down a bit, but nobody seems to stop and think that perhaps the engineers knew it does and thus recommended 5w30 instead of 5w20 or 0w20? You bet your ass they did a zillion oil analyses when developing the engines.

But like I said, you guys are welcome to continue using the non recommended oil weights. Won’t cause any harm but you might lose a few mpg. :thumbsup:
show me where it says 5w-30 is "non recommended" Anyhow, notice that trend in your comment, that you always run factory recommended, yet that trend is thinner and thinner oil, its all about meeting EPA standards and thinner and thinner oil is an easy way. So you keep running factory recommended and ill gladly add some more protection for my engine at the cost of a few extra dollars a year. and Im not spreading hearsay, i've seen the water thin oil come out of the car after 7k miles. Once I saw that, It was 5w-30 and no more than 5k mile intervals.

Why not 0-20 ?
because he doesnt want to and knows what a high heat forced induction does to oil.....
Sponsored

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Why not 0-20 ?
Why should I ?
I really don't care what grade I use, I buy the one in special at WalMart. 0W30 or 5W30
I don't care either about those engineering recommendation, we know whom they are working for... just like: VW, Boeing..lol

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Why should I ?
I really don't care what grade I use, I buy the one in special at WalMart. 0W30 or 5W30
I don't care either about those engineering recommendation, we know whom they are working for... just like: VW, Boeing..lol

:crazy:

So you may not inflate your tires at the recommended pressure. What is you choice ? Under inflate or over inflate:lol:

I would not want to be the poor guy who will buy your car at the end of your rental

We see everything on the forum, members who is concerned about the color of the pint of oil and other who is not concerned about anything.:banghead:

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
:crazy:

So you may not inflate your tires at the recommended pressure. What is you choice ? Under inflate or over inflate:lol:

I would not want to be the poor guy who will buy your car at the end of your rental

We see everything on the forum, members who is concerned about the color of the pint of oil and other who is not concerned about anything.:banghead:
First of all, my car is not a rental, and I paid cash for it, I decide what Type of maintenant I do. This my car, you do whatever you want with yours.
Ce n'est pas de tes osti d’affaires...I use the grade of oil I want

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
0W20 would be fine for ANY driver under ANY driving conditions
You'd hope so. I read this way back when. It's a little dated... as it came out ~15 years ago around the rise of 5w-20 being adopted here and there... but oil isn't a one size fits all. Where oil handles any and all conditions that exist. That's just not how it works. That's like saying all gasoline grades are the same. Or all tires are the same. How many of us stick to the OEM tires through the cars life? Or MTF? Or coolant? Or any number of other things? Oil brand... and viscosity... can be variable.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

Problem is... I've never seen long term fleet testing data where tear downs were conducted between a vehicle with 20 vs 30 weight oils. So everything is pretty much heresay… other than having data available that shows what happens to oils as they get hotter and their viscosity changes. Thinner oil will have a thinner film. The hotter it gets... the thinner it gets.

Just because Honda didn't give us a chart that looks more like this...

Honda Civic 10th gen Stop worrying so much about oil brand z oil

What does this come from? That's right... my ancient old 300zx. Holy hell in a handbasket... they even had 5w-20 on the charts way back in the 90s! Apparently it was only good if you lived by the Fortress of Solitude.

Now why did the manufacturer give Z car owners ~30 years ago a chart with oil choices varying from 5w-20 all the way to 20w-50? I don't know. I guess they figured the owner could determine their own needs. Note the *Not recommended for sustained high speed driving. I like how at least Nissan back in the day assumed you'd by driving the Z like it was a sports car.

Why does the manual say for MTF changes, don't do anything but go to your dealer... whereas a generation or two ago... there was instructions on how to change it?

IMO... it's all about the push to dumb down the end-user. I'll say it again... yeah... I'm a 0w-20 guy. I'm ok with the stuff... but if someone else wants to make an informed decision and use something different... so be it. It's their car... not Hondas. Saying the engineers said so and they know better... and then to look at the joke that passes as an owners manual and the guidance it gives on maintenance shows how locked down manufacturers are getting towards their cars.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
If I’m not mistaken I believe Quaker state bottles the supertech for Walmart but I’ve always heard on newer cars 2000 and up to use the oil weight the manufacturers use especially Honda’s. I’m not bad mouthing supertech but I’ll stick with mobile one been using it for years
Quaker state and pennozil are owned by Shell now. I think a company called Warren Distribution made Supertech. FYI.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First of all, my car is not a rental, and I paid cash for it, I decide what Type of maintenant I do. This my car, you do whatever you want with yours.
Ce n'est pas de tes osti d’affaires...I use the grade of oil I want
Your rudeness has no place on a forum.
If you can not express yourself as an adult, you do not belong here.

Using the 0w20 may be necessary and it has already been discussed in the forum
1- The low tolerance of the engine parts may not accept thicker oil.
2- A reduction in fuel economy can also result.

Your savings in buying any oil because the price is lower may not be economical

You forgot to answer about the engineers' recommendation (which you do not trust) about tire pressure.

Unless not at all consistent in your approach ?

Last edited:

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag

You forgot to answer about the engineers' recommendation (which you do not trust) about tire pressure.

You can do whatever you want with your car, it's yours. I'll do what I want, it's mine.
I won't waist my time arguing with you.
So be..IT

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's not that you do not want to waste your time.

It is that you have no arguments, you act without reflexion

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Your condescending responses have no place on this forum either, but here you are. Just because you live in a box of following what the manufacturer tells you, doesn't mean everyone else has to. As someone who races and drives the car pretty hard, I run 5w-30 or 0w-30 during the colder seasons in the Northwest. I have my reasons for doing it as well as it comes recommended from some I would consider experts in building performance Honda motors, and racing their cars as well. There is a picture of the manual for the european hatch floating around showing that 5w-30 is okay to be ran in these motors by the way, no one is hurting anything by going up in viscosity.

Also interestingly enough most tire shops will over inflate your tires for to keep your TPMS light from coming on all the time, as it is known to happen frequently on these cars when running right at the manufacturer recommended psi found on the door jams lol. (also because changes in temps can affect your psi reading) Not only that but if you are drag racing, it is not uncommon to lower your tire pressure for improved launching. Figured I would answer your question since you were so desperate for an answer. :thumbsup:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
i do.....

and my last civic (2005) lasted me 14 years and about 225,000 miles without breaking down once....coincidence?.....i don't think so

it still ran like new when i sold it,

a lot of peoples problems would not happen if they just stick to OEM products, and do the maint suggested in their owners manual at the intervals suggested,

its there for a reason
My 02 RSX Type S went 226k hard miles of racing, daily driving, and road tripping before being sold. I used all sorts of non OEM products from tires, fluids, to performance parts. One can argue one way or the other, truth is paying attention to your car and providing timely maintenance is more important than using all OEM products or recommended products from the manufacturer.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
My 02 RSX Type S went 226k hard miles of racing, daily driving, and road tripping before being sold. I used all sorts of non OEM products from tires, fluids, to performance parts. One can argue one way or the other, truth is paying attention to your car and providing timely maintenance is more important than using all OEM products or recommended products from the manufacturer.
I agree 100% with you.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Your condescending responses have no place on this forum either, but here you are. Just because you live in a box of following what the manufacturer tells you, doesn't mean everyone else has to. As someone who races and drives the car pretty hard, I run 5w-30 or 0w-30 during the colder seasons in the Northwest. I have my reasons for doing it as well as it comes recommended from some I would consider experts in building performance Honda motors, and racing their cars as well. There is a picture of the manual for the european hatch floating around showing that 5w-30 is okay to be ran in these motors by the way, no one is hurting anything by going up in viscosity.

Also interestingly enough most tire shops will over inflate your tires for to keep your TPMS light from coming on all the time, as it is known to happen frequently on these cars when running right at the manufacturer recommended psi found on the door jams lol. (also because changes in temps can affect your psi reading) Not only that but if you are drag racing, it is not uncommon to lower your tire pressure for improved launching. Figured I would answer your question since you were so desperate for an answer. :thumbsup:
Agreed, he is being very condescending for no reason at all. people who race and flog on their cars for a living have said that in climates that are hot or if you have extreme driving conditions or race a lot, moving to 5w-30 is a good idea. I've seen no loss in mpgs by switching and I ordered my blackstone labs kit this weekend. And yeah, most of these cars when picked up from teh dealer or after a visit to Discount Tire come out with 50 psi in the tires. like wtf. clearly the door sill says 33 or 35 but hey 50 is fine :)
Sponsored