Stop Sale/Safety Recall: 2016 Civic VSA Software Update (electric parking brake issue)

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
So I took it in yesterday for this software update ....It went without any issues. The software download allegedly takes 25 min so expect about a 45-50 min wait at the dealership while they perform this update.

I would recommend people fix an appointment and take in their cars to get the software updated. Best not to skip any recall notices which NHTSA deems as a safety recall.

Overall the process is pretty simple and approximately 45 min. If you are taking in your car for other services such as oil change/tire rotation, you could combine it with that and kill two birds in one stone.
Sponsored

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So uh, people with tunes... does this reset the ECU back to stock?

ArnoldLayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Touring
Country flag
It is similar to doing a firmware update on your iPhone. None of your presets and other saved settings would be affected but it merely does a reboot after the update.

villasenors55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic
Hello I took my car in for an oil change and the tech told me that there was a recall for my 2016 civic so he asked me if I wanted them to check it I said yes never did I think it would take them 1 week for the upgrade. I'm so frustrated because they keep telling me that they can't program the system and giving me the run around. Still 1 week later exactly today and I still don't have my car now I'm not sure if I'm going to feel save in my civic I don't even have 1 year with my car. I have been readying and it looks like this model has a lot of recalls going on. Hopefully they will call me today with an answer and I will personally will be going in to the dealer and see what I can do to change my car for the reason that I will not feel save in. Before this car I had a 2014 civic and I never had an issue not 1 issue. Can someone help me to see what I can do about this issue.

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
Hello I took my car in for an oil change and the tech told me that there was a recall for my 2016 civic so he asked me if I wanted them to check it I said yes never did I think it would take them 1 week for the upgrade. I'm so frustrated because they keep telling me that they can't program the system and giving me the run around. Still 1 week later exactly today and I still don't have my car now I'm not sure if I'm going to feel save in my civic I don't even have 1 year with my car. I have been readying and it looks like this model has a lot of recalls going on. Hopefully they will call me today with an answer and I will personally will be going in to the dealer and see what I can do to change my car for the reason that I will not feel save in. Before this car I had a 2014 civic and I never had an issue not 1 issue. Can someone help me to see what I can do about this issue.
Wow! That's insane. My dealer had an oil change, an alignment, and the VSA reprogramming done in four or five hours. Have you talked to the service manager? In the future you might want to consider a different dealership.

Adam16T

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX
Country flag
Relax. Your dealership did the flash wrong. It doesn't make the car unsafe or anything like that. Ask them to get Honda Texh line involved and it will be 100 percent fine.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Are they giving you a loaner car at least?

RedTouringMA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rallye Red Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I'd call Honda's toll free customer service line and complain immediately

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree, contact customer support, they've been very helpful.

That said, this wasn't a huge safety issue unless you rely on the parking brake. Since I don't live in Sanfran or another hilly town, I've never used it really. So once it's fixed, I would have no reservations about driving it.

In fact, I don't. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
If you are on a lease you are required to comply with all recalls. Plus if you do get in an accident where a recall is found to be the cause, and you didn't take care of it, you could be held liable.
Also I think some states will not allow a vehicle to be resold that has recalls that have not been fixed.
ALWAYS get recalls taken care of.

CivicLX2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
I don't believe that guy that his car has been at dealer for a week...only one post on account....seems like a troll...he didn't list which model he has either...

SUSPECT

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
So if I bought my car at the end of December would it be safe to say I should have this software already installed?
Once a recall is officially issued, dealers may not sell new cars covered under that recall until the recall work is completed. HOWEVER, I've heard stories of dealers selling cars anyway, so it pays to go on Honda's website and check your VIN number to see if any recalls are outstanding.

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
Once a recall is officially issued, dealers may not sell new cars covered under that recall until the recall work is completed. HOWEVER, I've heard stories of dealers selling cars anyway, so it pays to go on Honda's website and check your VIN number to see if any recalls are outstanding.

Didn't know you could do that! Thats why forums exist! No recalls for me it says I am all good!
Sponsored