Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
I'm beginning to believe that stock mode is faster than sport. In sport I've noticed the rev hang is worse, the shift points are quicker, and overall acceleration is slower. I was in sport mode today on my way home from work, following a GTI. From 2nd to 3rd I noticed the RPM's went up during clutching during shift change, car felt slower into 3rd. A couple miles later we hit a light, wasn't racing but I switched sport OFF, and the GTI obviously wanted to win and normal mode provided perfect shit points, quicker REV drop, spaced out where it needed to be.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm beginning to believe that stock mode is faster than sport. In sport I've noticed the rev hang is worse, the shift points are quicker, and overall acceleration is slower. I was in sport mode today on my way home from work, following a GTI. From 2nd to 3rd I noticed the RPM's went up during clutching during shift change, car felt slower into 3rd. A couple miles later we hit a light, wasn't racing but I switched sport OFF, and the GTI obviously wanted to win and normal mode provided perfect shit points, quicker REV drop, spaced out where it needed to be.
Seems unlikely since on a tuned car, steering effort, the dampers and throttle response is the only thing that is effected. I expect software induced ā€˜rev hangā€™ is unchanged as well on the stock tune, as its there for emissions.

REBELXSi

SeƱor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
What shift points are you talking about? It's a manual, you can shift when you want.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
May be in normal mode your reaction was fast enough to shift compared to sport :drive:

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Only difference I notice in sport mode is the suspension is stiffer/less forgiving, steering is stiffer, and induction noise. Iā€™m usually out of sport mode because of the snow coverage on the roads or if thereā€™s potholes, but on a clear road Iā€™ll gladly use it anytime.

Shifting points? Nah, I donā€™t notice anything. Slower? Well, itā€™s not faster, but definitely not slower. Rev hang is the same, then again Iā€™ve gotten mostly used to it now and all my shifting points and timing is nearly spot on unless Iā€™m not paying 100% attention. Like when my passengers talk my ears off.

As for shit points, youā€™re on your own. :p

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
Can you explain why you mean by shift points?

okawner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si sedan
Country flag
Maybe he's referring to the shift point display available on the tach?

OP
OP
Hajidub

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
Can you explain why you mean by shift points?
when in sport the throttle change makes for quicker shift requirements. By the time I shift, to me it feels like Iā€™m almost out of the powerband after shifting into the next gear. Normal way doesnā€™t feel like that to me.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Try improving your shifting technique. Don't clutch out of gear. Lift your foot off the throttle and move the shifter out of the gear; apply the clutch as you're passing neutral; engage the clutch after it's in the next gear.

As for it being faster in normal mode, the only real difference between normal mode and sport mode is the throttle response, as far as I know. The electronic wastegate holds boost pressure at a lower RPM and the throttle is more linear in sport mode. If you're in normal mode and you give it full throttle, the electronic wastegate stops bleeding the air pressure away and you feel a surge of power, which definitely feels like you're accelerating faster, but in reality, it's just taking longer to build boost.

Perhaps one of the tuners has some hard data they can provide.
Sponsored