Stock Type R tires only last 9,000 miles?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry guys, I don't have an R, I just saw this and was shocked. Rated for 10,000 miles? Isn't something like a Michelin Pilot Sport rated for more like 20,000?

Just how soft is the stock Type R tire compound? That's nuts. You'd think Honda would've equipt them with something with great grip and a bit more wear.

Z06Chris

First Name
C. Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type-R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
LOL you'll have a heart attack if you saw the Z06 with Sport Cup 2's... $2k for tires and they last about 5k miles.
10k miles for these high performance tires sounds about right.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
LOL you'll have a heart attack if you saw the Z06 with Sport Cup 2's... $2k for tires and they last about 5k miles.
10k miles for these high performance tires sounds about right.
Guess that's why I drive a base turbo model. Whoa, you guys must be loaded.:cool:

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
First off, those still have a bit to go before they are actually down to the wear bars. Second, read the article. C&D didn't rotate their tires at all - the rears have tons of life left. They estimated at least 15,000 miles before the tires were done if they had been rotated.

The Contis wear fast. Rotate them and make sure you're aligned correctly, and once they're done, trash them and get Michelin (PS4S or PSC2). The PS4S has a 30k mile treadwear warranty.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Guess that's why I drive a base turbo model. Whoa, you guys must be loaded.:cool:
Most of use switched to a different tire either after burning through the stock or right away (and selling the stock). I ended up going all season with the Nitto NeoGen (for other CTR owners, I don't recommend unfortunately). Currently got 18" rims with Michelin PS A/S3+ all season which I'm more happy with, but haven't had much time with them, we'll see how they handle rain and light snow as the Nitto didn't do that good at either.

SHIFTT_IX_MR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 WW EVO 9 MR 548AWHP @ 30psi w/ E85; 2018 CBP Civic Type R #21151 - DD
Country flag
Sounds normal. My EVO was the same. I love when people bitch about high performance and life expectancy in the same sentence with regard to tires. If you want better mileage out of the tires, just buy a different brand and be happy. Yes the stock won't last more than 10K, - it does bold face say that on the sticker of the Type R - but they are good tires, and you lose some life with the sticky compound.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I think it says so right in the owners manual. there's also a warning about driving on the tires in cold temps. You can't say you weren't warned.

GeezR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Type R, Caterham, VW Touareg, Chevy Volt
Country flag
The Conti's are rated to 168 mph, replacement tires may not have a high speed rating, seems worth checking before buying? Not saying you will be running that fast, but if the occasional high speed burst is possible, a low max speed rating may be an issue.

The relatively rapid tire wear, as others have noted, is characteristic of high performance vehicles. They also are noisier, ride rougher, get worse mpg, shorter brake pad/rotor life, etc. Not sure why C&D would seem surprised or think this was newsworthy.

Per the track day threads, Type-R owners are lucky to get 2 full track days out of these tires (maybe 200-300 miles total).