First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Hi all,

Because I'm not convinced yet with the quality of the Chinese alternatives for the head unit I was thinking just to upgrade the stock one. Stock units slow, mostly because of ram and CPU, however, I can bet the spell parts quality is far better than the one in the Chinese options. Usually every hu like this uses a removable ram memory slot. I wonder if there is anyone how replaced the original unit and had the curiosity to open the case of the stock HU.

Thx in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I think the HU is nothing more than an Android tablet, and doesn't have expandable RAM.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't trust my Chinese HU after the issues I had with it but most of the Android stuff is made in China anyway.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
....Usually every hu like this uses a removable ram memory slot. I wonder if there is anyone how replaced the original unit and had the curiosity to open the case of the stock HU.

Thx in advance.
I'm not aware of anyone EVER seeing someone upgrading ram on a headunit, or on an android tablet for that matter. I have seen a few people desolder and solder storage rom.

OP
OP
nikkon

nikkon

First Name
Mihai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Well then I just need to wait for a better aftermarket replacement

KingsR1213

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Maybe order a spare on ebay and crack it open to see if you can replace ram.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
pretty sure you'd need some high tech skills to upgrade the ram

santino405

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
I've been using the android head unit from Dasaita for the last 5 months and i'm pretty happy with it. However I came from the non touch screen head unit. It's not completely flawless, it does have it's hiccups every now and then. If you're willing to spend sometime configuring it the way you want and know your way around android pretty will then it may be worth it for you too.

For example i have my head unit setup to run the android app taskr so that every time the unit turns on it will automatically start playing google music and launch google maps in drive mode.

Also the fact that it looks OEM is also a plus for me, less chance of some one breaking into my car to steal it vs having an aftermarket kenwood or sony.

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
The sad thing is, feature-wise, while not perfect, it is amazing how close those Android radios come with integration to all the internal stuff. It's a shame they are just largely junk apparrently and not suitable for the long term. I wouldn't mind spending a bit more for something reliable, but nothing else I have seen has clean integration. I might not even mind throwing my 4200NEX in there, but I don't think there even is a Maestro module (and what extra cost) much less I don't know that it is as clean integration with climate/settings/etc.

HBKEAZY!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
I was hoping Honda would update the headunit in the 2019, then I would buy the new one and sell mine. But I would need to know if it’s even worth it. Like if the resolution is higher, of its more responsive, stuff like that.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Well then I just need to wait for a better aftermarket replacement
Sure, that's a nice HU but the problem of course is that you'll lose pretty much all functionality of the car. You won't be able to get to the car options, and many steering wheel controls will cease to function. We're stuck until iDataLink makes a Maestro unit that talks to the Civic's computer. I was told by iDatLink that it's going to be at least another 6 months - 1 year before it's ready.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
From what I have experienced, the current 2017/2018 Honda head units are highly customized, and budgeted on cost, and are the minimum they can get away with to perform the tasks that they have locked down, into the units.
There are not many (if any) non-oem Head units that will have all the features that the current Honda units have, and that interface to the Car so tightly.

Yes, the Honda units are not lightening fast, but they are functional, do the designed tasks, and are engineered to be as simple as possible to use and operate, especially while driving.

If you fit a Super fast, China Unit .. yes, it's faster, and you can load a whole lot of unnecessary apps into it, but the screens are not as bright and high contracts as the Honda Screens, and to achieve anywhere near the same original functionality - (steering wheel interface, Instrument Panel Interface, HD radio, Sirius, etc), almost all non oem solutions require significant add-on items, and fast become extremely complex.

Keeping the original unit, and waiting for a future years better unit to become available, probably will not work either. By the time there is a "Better" unit that has better performance and more features than the current units, then these units will probably not be backwards compatible with current cars.

In the extreme, those that bought cars year ago with an 8-Track, and thought they would update to a better, more modern unit at a later date, would now find that the new, better units and their feature, were totally incompatible with their out-dated vehicle systems.

I have a 30+ year old Nissan Maxima, and this year updated it with one of the "fast" China Android units.
My wife has a 2018 Honda Si.

My China Unit is in a continual state of being "messed with: .. yes its fun, and almost anything is possible, but that is what I like to do,

My wife wants her Si to DRIVE, and not a car Computer to program.
(and yes I do drive her Si as well -- I'm not stupid !!)

Confession: I did the Honda hack on her unit, loaded in all sorts of "Neat Stuff", and it quickly crawled to a Halt, so we decided to restore it to it's original state, because that was really the "Best" for the unit and the car.

Would I put the 2018 Honda Head unit in my car - NO -- the China unit is a better fit for my car "low tech" car , and I like "Playing" with it.

Would I put my China head unit in her Si. - NO -- the Honda Unit is a far better fit for the Si, and the way one wants to operate and drive Si.

So the conclusion that I come to is that the BEST unit, is not the fastest, or the one that can run 100's of Apps, but rather the one that is the best match to what the car needs to be operated in the optimum way.

-- but agreed, it would be nicer if the Honda unit was more responsive (at least to match the responsiveness of the car !)

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I was hoping Honda would update the headunit in the 2019, then I would buy the new one and sell mine. But I would need to know if it’s even worth it. Like if the resolution is higher, of its more responsive, stuff like that.
The 2019 units have a Rotary Volume control -- if that's what you really want, then lay down $ ?,000 next year, and I sure you could get one !
Sponsored