Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Happy Saturday, folks.

So, I've modified my stock airbox and wanted to show y'all. I had started off by removing the air resonator, hoping for some good growl/woooosh sounds. Added a K&N drop in, too. Slightly better, but still disappointing.

Last weekend I had some extra time so I blocked off the stock intake path that snakes from the top of the airbox around its back. I used pink insulation foam that I cut to fill the ports, and sealed/held them in place with some Gorilla duct tape (because duct tape, duh). I then used a 3" hole saw bit to drill a hole in the bottom of the airbox. This gave the turbo a much more pronounced sound, but is of course a "bad mod" because it's then sucking even hotter air from the engine bay.

Just now I finished the mod, and added an adaptor (goo.gl/6Y1Tao) to the bottom of the airbox so that I was able to connect a tube (goo.gl/bgdr6b) which ran down into the fender well.

Sorry for the potato pics, but you get the idea...

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock airbox modified for cold air. s_ktcA43zjiQtEKbHP47eGpF60oMp_w7GEiqq2RsXWXDGXO6IEovUiixwMzdpQMNxLOg8eNijB4cW1DDDwo=w738-h984-no

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock airbox modified for cold air. qbUyLmpqny_dQOLF6r-lugLAGKzSnw4QofZHr-DZuR_DTZQ1Bhn-SbeJewe6jFDH2MM7YeLQbWs5x4mg6a=w1312-h984-no

Honda Civic 10th gen Stock airbox modified for cold air. 0qIrMdYnRIXNcGc2AQPeUl9JrSmXaTjzF9CjRxBnpfqcuhTXqzrz29lnTj6ZhNzutXGcc2tPalMQV9ZoZj=w1312-h984-no

Anyway... I'd post IAT differences between stock and modified, but Torque Pro refuses to read that PID/sensor so I have no hard data. However, logically it's sound. And it sounds pretty great. And it was cheap as hell. ;-)

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Happy Saturday, folks.

So, I've modified my stock airbox and wanted to show y'all. I had started off by removing the air resonator, hoping for some good growl/woooosh sounds. Added a K&N drop in, too. Slightly better, but still disappointing.

Last weekend I had some extra time so I blocked off the stock intake path that snakes from the top of the airbox around its back. I used pink insulation foam that I cut to fill the ports, and sealed/held them in place with some Gorilla duct tape (because duct tape, duh). I then used a 3" hole saw bit to drill a hole in the bottom of the airbox. This gave the turbo a much more pronounced sound, but is of course a "bad mod" because it's then sucking even hotter air from the engine bay.

Just now I finished the mod, and added an adaptor (goo.gl/6Y1Tao) to the bottom of the airbox so that I was able to connect a tube (goo.gl/bgdr6b) which ran down into the fender well.

s_ktcA43zjiQtEKbHP47eGpF60oMp_w7GEiqq2RsXWXDGXO6IEovUiixwMzdpQMNxLOg8eNijB4cW1DDDwo=w738-h984-no.jpg

qbUyLmpqny_dQOLF6r-lugLAGKzSnw4QofZHr-DZuR_DTZQ1Bhn-SbeJewe6jFDH2MM7YeLQbWs5x4mg6a=w1312-h984-no.jpg

0qIrMdYnRIXNcGc2AQPeUl9JrSmXaTjzF9CjRxBnpfqcuhTXqzrz29lnTj6ZhNzutXGcc2tPalMQV9ZoZj=w1312-h984-no.jpg

Anyway... I'd post IAT differences between stock and modified, but Torque Pro refuses to read that PID/sensor so I have no hard data. However, logically it's sound. And it sounds pretty great. And it was cheap as hell. ;-)
Man, would really love to get some IAT numbers on this. No Hondata or Ktuner to measure with?

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dude, not as much as *I* would love those numbers, haha.

I'm trying to hold off on flashing or any "major" mods like that for at least the first couple of years of ownership, so unfortunately I can't pull the numbers from something like that.

I know another guy on here (@Dimitron84) has been battling with IAT readings too; he recently posted that the app Dash Command at least gives him ECT (another thing TorquePro wasn't reading), so perhaps we'll figure something out soon.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Happy Saturday, folks.

s_ktcA43zjiQtEKbHP47eGpF60oMp_w7GEiqq2RsXWXDGXO6IEovUiixwMzdpQMNxLOg8eNijB4cW1DDDwo=w738-h984-no.jpg

qbUyLmpqny_dQOLF6r-lugLAGKzSnw4QofZHr-DZuR_DTZQ1Bhn-SbeJewe6jFDH2MM7YeLQbWs5x4mg6a=w1312-h984-no.jpg

0qIrMdYnRIXNcGc2AQPeUl9JrSmXaTjzF9CjRxBnpfqcuhTXqzrz29lnTj6ZhNzutXGcc2tPalMQV9ZoZj=w1312-h984-no.jpg

since you have a tube running to the bottom you should try it like the pic bel
Honda Civic 10th gen Stock airbox modified for cold air. fkx%20racing%20ram%20air%20fk7

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't be worried so much about hydrolock, I think the air box would negate that by giving the water a place to collect before being vacuumed up through the filter (this is pure speculation of course; I could be very wrong).

However, I wouldn't do this simply because I wouldn't want to lose the fog light.

l15b7allturbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I wouldn't be worried so much about hydrolock, I think the air box would negate that by giving the water a place to collect before being vacuumed up through the filter (this is pure speculation of course; I could be very wrong).

However, I wouldn't do this simply because I wouldn't want to lose the fog light.
My friend has done the same thing. We can tell part of his filter has gotten wet. Better be safe than sorry.

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wouldn't this be a bad idea? Hydrolock.
well since you are using the stock box as a cold air, there is a large hole to use as a drain so water doesnt get suck in. and its not like your drving through 1 feet high water to completly submerge

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wouldn't this be a bad idea? Hydrolock.
I guess you could do what 27WON did and drill a couple of small holes in the top of the air filter box to allow the filter to breath if the hose gets stopped up with water.

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess you could do what 27WON did and drill a couple of small holes in the top of the air filter box to allow the filter to breath if the hose gets stopped up with water.
Yeah, or I could unblock the stock intake path to accomplish that as well... however I figured that would negate any cooler air the new tube is bringing in?

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, or I could unblock the stock intake path to accomplish that as well... however I figured that would negate any cooler air the new tube is bringing in?
If the hole is big at the top. 27 WON thinks that hot air rising will reduce the intake of air at the top and pull cold air from the bottom of the hose. I guess it will be a battle of forces.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Doesn't punching a whole in the top of the air box reduce the suction force of the cold air coming up the tube?

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Doesn't punching a whole in the top of the air box reduce the suction force of the cold air coming up the tube?
I think that is the idea so the suction force is not strong enough to pull water all the way up to the filter. After the engine is cut off there should be a gentle flow of air up the tube and out the top through the holes until the area cools off. Maybe just a partial blocking of the stock intake might be a better idea than drilling holes. That way it would be an almost impossible mod to detect.

OP
OP
odinist

odinist

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mithgarthr.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the IAT reading working in TorquePro thanks to @Dimitron84!

Just did a bit of testing on my lunch hour. Outside temp is 80° F.

On the highway, intake temps stayed about 95°. In-town driving, depending on traffic/speed/stoplights, temps were between 98°-110°. Sitting at a drive-thru, I saw them go as high as 130°, but that dropped pretty quick once I started moving again.

10Gensi

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
This is interesting and a great idea! What did you mount that piping to below the air box? What kind of piping did you use?
Sponsored