First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it fair to say majority of buyers are 20-40 years old and expect a great audio system?

Interestingly enough the Murano is for what, late 40's+ and what Nissan put in it, Bose is night and day when you compare the two.

I'm ranting because now I have to spend money to upgrade.
Sponsored

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
OK. I see.
Does this mean to stream using handset and cast the music to the car via Bluetooth? This means I have to use cellular data?
You can do that or you can download music at home with Spotify and play it offline.
You can use android auto with spotify also. Or you can put mp3 on a USB stick and stick it in the USB port beneath the Cup Holder

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
Is it fair to say majority of buyers are 20-40 years old and expect a great audio system?

Interestingly enough the Murano is for what, late 40's+ and what Nissan put in it, Bose is night and day when you compare the two.

I'm ranting because now I have to spend money to upgrade.
Is it fair to compare a sub 30k car to a 42k car ? Your expection are a little high.
You should check out the Mazda 3 GT with the Premium package if you like the Bose system. Pretty good system in that car. Better then the civic.
All that for less money.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The "best" factory audio system I ever had was a 10-speaker Bose Studio-On-Wheels system in an Infiniti G35. Three of its drivers were 10" including one in each front door. It would play very loud and was incredibly accurate - so much so that it sounded absolutely terrible for anything other than acoustic jazz or classical music. Wynton Marsalis or Beethoven would literally give me goosebumps while Deadmau5 and Dr. Dre sounded unimpressive at best.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
Most definitely. You can stop paying for that horrible-sounding SXM and start using one of the streaming services that offer much better sound quality for a lower price or free!
Well...yes & no...nothing's FREE..as you're using your data (but I don't think it uses a ton). Correct, however - they sound MUCH better...especially for the price.

Sirius had called me at work to renew my subscription....offering me their 'stick-with-us' deal. I said 'I'm sure that Sirius can call up exactly how long my particular system was utilizing the service...which would amount to about 5 min total in the 3 'free' month trial. What makes you think, if I didn't use it when it was FREE...that I'd actually want to PAY to not use it??'

The guy had no comeback... I told him to remove my number/name from their robo-dial. :)

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Most definitely. You can stop paying for that horrible-sounding SXM and start using one of the streaming services that offer much better sound quality for a lower price or free!
Interesting... I've been a SiriusXM subscriber since before they were SiriusXM (I was Team Sirius). The Civic's sound system is the first sound system that makes satellite radio sound FANTASTIC. My Jeep sounds pretty good - most likely because it's aftermarket and I spent a lot of time tuning it - but the Civic sounds great for satellite radio. I would think those that have sound issues with SiriusXM with the premium sound system should investigate the issue, as perhaps the stereo just needs some sound adjustment.

And while streaming services may be "free", in actuality they are not... at least not from a data standpoint. Assuming listening to anything that's even close to decent sound quality would chew through your data plan pretty quickly, yes? Plus you have those awful commercials. Ugh, I happily pay my $11.00/mo. for SiriusXM.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting... I've been a SiriusXM subscriber since before they were SiriusXM (I was Team Sirius). The Civic's sound system is the first sound system that makes satellite radio sound FANTASTIC. My Jeep sounds pretty good - most likely because it's aftermarket and I spent a lot of time tuning it - but the Civic sounds great for satellite radio. I would think those that have sound issues with SiriusXM with the premium sound system should investigate the issue, as perhaps the stereo just needs some sound adjustment.

And while streaming services may be "free", in actuality they are not... at least not from a data standpoint. Assuming listening to anything that's even close to decent sound quality would chew through your data plan pretty quickly, yes? Plus you have those awful commercials. Ugh, I happily pay my $11.00/mo. for SiriusXM.
SiriusXM exists for and profits from customers such as yourself...and that's okay.

In my case, my smartphone's $70 plan includes 6GB of data each month. When I'm not streaming music, I average about 1.2 GB per month. I'm always on Wi-Fi at work and at home.

Pandora uses between 15MB and 90MB per hour, depending on your plan and quality setting. I spend about 6 hours per week in a vehicle. That's 540MB per week or about 2.3GB per month at the highest quality setting. Even the "higher quality" setting on the free plan offers better sound quality than SiriusXM and uses only 1.5GB per month (although it does have annoying commercials).

For me (and many, if not most, other people), a streaming service will offers more variety, better sound quality, cheaper (or free) service, you can move your smartphone from vehicle to vehicle, and the extra data usage for streaming audio may fit comfortably in your existing data plan. It's video that really eats up data - audio is pretty benign.

The advantage of satellite radio are convenience, continuous coverage, and vehicle integration.

The disadvantages of satellite radio are high cost, low quality, and limited variety.

I do agree that SiriusXM sounds better in my Ridgeline and Civic than other vehicles I've had, but still not as good as some other sources.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
SiriusXM exists for and profits from customers such as yourself...and that's okay.

In my case, my smartphone's $70 plan includes 6GB of data each month. When I'm not streaming music, I average about 1.2 GB per month. I'm always on Wi-Fi at work and at home.

Pandora uses between 15MB and 90MB per hour, depending on your plan and quality setting. I spend about 6 hours per week in a vehicle. That's 540MB per week or about 2.3GB per month at the highest quality setting. Even the "higher quality" setting on the free plan offers better sound quality than SiriusXM and uses only 1.5GB per month (although it does have annoying commercials).

For me (and many, if not most, other people), a streaming service will offers more variety, better sound quality, cheaper (or free) service, you can move your smartphone from vehicle to vehicle, and the extra data usage for streaming audio may fit comfortably in your existing data plan. It's video that really eats up data - audio is pretty benign.

The advantage of satellite radio are convenience, continuous coverage, and vehicle integration.

The disadvantages of satellite radio are high cost, low quality, and limited variety.

I do agree that SiriusXM sounds better in my Ridgeline and Civic than other vehicles I've had, but still not as good as some other sources.
Ah, I thought the data for audio would have been more than that. That's actually not that bad data usage. I do sometimes stream "Into the Trivia Pit" (a heavy metal trivia game show on Liquid Metal) from my phone and am surprised at how little data it uses for how good the sound quality is - they must compress the living snot out of the audio stream.

And we're in agreement on the audio quality being different very different per vehicle. I have a 2007 Honda Pilot EX-L (selling it soon) that has an aftermarket sound system that sounds great when streaming music over my BT, but the satellite radio sounds AWFUL. I also have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler that I spent a bit more time/research on the audio system. And the SiriusXM sounds pretty good, much better than the Pilot but no where near as good as the '17 Civic Si. Perhaps it's the age of the audio equipment in the Pilot? Who knows, but since I'm hopefully selling it soon, it ain't worth the time to figure out why. ;)

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I finally ripped some CDs into A USB drive, True that the sound is a lot better than Sirius XM.

So far so good but I have to learn how to navigate between folders in an USB. How do I go to the root directory?

Last edited:

lawson

First Name
Lawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
I would like to remove SiriusXM and AM from the radio options so I don't see or hear either when I'm scrolling through audio sources. Is this possible?

mp2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 NSX, 2017 SI sedan
I would like to remove SiriusXM and AM from the radio options so I don't see or hear either when I'm scrolling through audio sources. Is this possible?
me too

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wish it were too. You can't remove AM or FM.

evilearn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Am I the only one whose sub rattles tremendously at modest volumes? It makes it almost unusable. I took it into the dealer but they wouldn't do anything because there wasn't a bulletin. I've seen people complain about this online with the civic touring but wondering if it's common in the si as well.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag