Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
If it is something with the steering rack, it is not user error and it's defenitely something most likely with the motor that controls it if it is. I would say it is a defect because the steering rack on a 2016 vehicle should not be blowing out, regardless of the cause.
Ya I agreed too, could be defect since I just owned this car for about 8 months . Which as I've said a very unfortunate worn shocks happened to me. And still some other issue I mentioned above
Sponsored

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
What I ment by "research" is to use a little knowledge and if you are not sure, then look it up. Googles just a tab away.

I was just baffled on how we drive civics and didn't know how the steering felt as electric vs hydraulic both feel very different (and sound different). I'm not pointing any fingers and I understand we all make mistakes and true, this forum is to share knowledge so don't get me wrong this time...the civic has an electrically powered steering rack, which sure, many people don't know about. :thumbsup:

My 2 cents.
:topic:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I would say i was the very unlucky guy to have this car tons of problem. The first day I purchased this car , drove out instantly experiencing popping sound in my rear wheel(left) , i suspected the abosorber and yeah it was checked by the dealer that the absorber was leaking so it was replaced and fixed. Sooner I experienced a lot more problem. Including this steering issue, SOMETIMES the failure of auto lock which it beeps up to 6 times after I closed my door with the keyless remote taken out. Other than tat, i can hear another knocking sound in the wheel under driver's seat, when sometimes going through some crappy road/ some thicker lane markers. So find them quite disappointing
Did you make the mistake of buying a YELLOW Honda ?
Honda Civic 10th gen Steering problem.. steering rack problem? Help transport-lemon-lemon_car-defective_car-defective_automobile-car-rkin7_low

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
What I ment by "research" is to use a little knowledge and if you are not sure, then look it up. Googles just a tab away.

I was just baffled on how we drive civics and didn't know how the steering felt as electric vs hydraulic both feel very different (and sound different). I'm not pointing any fingers and I understand we all make mistakes and true, this forum is to share knowledge so don't get me wrong this time...the civic has an electrically powered steering rack, which sure, many people don't know about. :thumbsup:

My 2 cents.
:topic:
Don't feel too bad.
Earlier, I was half way through replying on this topic, and was deep into what sounds Rack & Pinions make when there is a Hydraulic issue, when I realized my mistake, and quickly deleted and backed out.

A narrow escape from getting burnt !!
" :flame:__oPESYS"

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nah.. it's a brand new from the dealer
Most Lemon are :(

:doh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words.

BTW: I've got a GREAT "Gold Mine" I could sell you .

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
Don't feel too bad.
Earlier, I was half way through replying on this topic, and was deep into what sounds Rack & Pinions make when there is a Hydraulic issue, when I realized my mistake, and quickly deleted and backed out.

A narrow escape from getting burnt !!
" :flame:__oPESYS"
Could be steering rack & pinions though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
did you get it resolved?
what was the issue?
Yeah it was solved . It's the steering rack part issue, replaced under warranty and got the alignment set as well

revbarnz

First Name
Barnabas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FC 1.6L
Country flag
My issue with the electric power steering (EPS) is probably the same - I’d describe the sound is squeaky - when turning large circles, esp evident during reverse parking - maybe because I always turn down or turn off my music when reverse parking. Replaced without charge, under warranty, at 20,000km and 60,000km. Sigh, great car otherwise.

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
My issue with the electric power steering (EPS) is probably the same - I’d describe the sound is squeaky - when turning large circles, esp evident during reverse parking - maybe because I always turn down or turn off my music when reverse parking. Replaced without charge, under warranty, at 20,000km and 60,000km. Sigh, great car otherwise.
Replaced 2 times ? Lots of Civics here did that even 2-3 times too, the problem may come back depending on luck. Btw I usually have music off to rather listen to any noises/issues

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Does anyone neglect to mention the civic...drumroll...HAS ELECTRIC STEERING??? I mean come on, how bout we do a little research before suggestions!

Also, could be CV axle. Bring it in anyways, it's under warranty so why not?
Honda Civic 10th gen Steering problem.. steering rack problem? Help DKSVarKW4AARTBk

Usmanhsh

First Name
Usman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla
Country flag
It seems a widespread issue that deserves a worldwide recall

Gen X civic in Pakistan (ASEAN region, ckd imported from Honda Thailand) are plagued by ruined steering racks under 30-50 thousand kilometer mileage as well.

It seems a design issue, as there can be multiple part manufactures that build this rack assembly around the world but the issue has come up in all

My personal take on the issue is, Honda is using an underspec'd rack that maybe okay for older gens of civic but it can't handle stress of suspension setup of civic X

Idk something about camber, bigger wheels, eps programmed to provide too fast a steering (that the driver makes a habit, i mean whenever I drove civic X in tighter spots, dry steering seemed rather soft for a car with after market 18" staggered rims so maybe I overstressed the rack) or something but civic x seems like a car that should have beefier internals (a stance more german than japanese) than a typical Honda.

Replaced 2 times ? Lots of Civics here did that even 2-3 times too, the problem may come back depending on luck. Btw I usually have music off to rather listen to any noises/issues

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Does anyone neglect to mention the civic...drumroll...HAS ELECTRIC STEERING??? I mean come on, how bout we do a little research before suggestions!

Also, could be CV axle. Bring it in anyways, it's under warranty so why not?
Damn someone beat me to it.

It's amazing how little people know about the $20,000+ rolling box they buy and trust their lives to.

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
It seems a widespread issue that deserves a worldwide recall

Gen X civic in Pakistan (ASEAN region, ckd imported from Honda Thailand) are plagued by ruined steering racks under 30-50 thousand kilometer mileage as well.

It seems a design issue, as there can be multiple part manufactures that build this rack assembly around the world but the issue has come up in all

My personal take on the issue is, Honda is using an underspec'd rack that maybe okay for older gens of civic but it can't handle stress of suspension setup of civic X

Idk something about camber, bigger wheels, eps programmed to provide too fast a steering (that the driver makes a habit, i mean whenever I drove civic X in tighter spots, dry steering seemed rather soft for a car with after market 18" staggered rims so maybe I overstressed the rack) or something but civic x seems like a car that should have beefier internals (a stance more german than japanese) than a typical Honda.
In Malaysia here, there’s a recall on the fuel pump issue few months ago, in which civic x user can’t turn the engine on, well, not yet for the steering rack. I agreed with what you stated ?
Sponsored