Steering feel after test driving Cayman, Vette (C7)

veejayy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic coupe turbo
Country flag
Own Civic '16 touring coupe and 15 Si.

Looking for fun used car and tested Cayman (981) and Vette (coupe C7 auto).

It is after testing those cars and getting back into my 16 coupe that I realized how good the steering feel is. In other words you don't go "Geez now I realize how horrible my steering is" like you do with most practical sub $30k everyday cars after driving two expensive purpose sports cars.

Look I am not saying the feeling is the same as in the P car or Vette but what I am saying is for what it is the feeling is great. The ergonomics also work. At 7/10s the car gets squirrelly mostly because of the tires and suspension. After being a Honda Fan Boy for years but then really getting to be disappointed in them over the last 10 I hope this is a sign of better things to come.
Sponsored

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
The Civic is pretty dull in steering. Those cars at least have different steering modes.

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
I love the Cayman! Not the fastest Porsche but my personal favorite and the one i would buy.

richd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
Country flag
Own Civic '16 touring coupe and 15 Si.

Looking for fun used car and tested Cayman (981) and Vette (coupe C7 auto).

It is after testing those cars and getting back into my 16 coupe that I realized how good the steering feel is. In other words you don't go "Geez now I realize how horrible my steering is" like you do with most practical sub $30k everyday cars after driving two expensive purpose sports cars.

Look I am not saying the feeling is the same as in the P car or Vette but what I am saying is for what it is the feeling is great. The juice ergonomics also work. At 7/10s the car gets squirrelly mostly because of the tires and suspension. After being a Honda Fan Boy for years but then really getting to be disappointed in them over the last 10 I hope this is a sign of better things to come.
I concur! I owned a z51 C6 vette, 98 Formula Firebird, Fox body Mustang GT, various other older vettes and firebirds in the 80s and the Civic Sport Hatch handles as well as and better than most of them. My 05 vette z51 was tested to .96 Gs, I read the sport hatch Civic gets to .93!

Gazelle_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mercedes S63 Cabriolet
I would definitely steer away from any American made vehicle for a used car since the interior will always fall apart. When I was trading in my Hatchback for a S63 during the test drive the first thing I feel is how refine and precise the steering is in that car compare to civic..... Cayman 981 should have similar feeling compare to 911 turbo, which is the only Porsche I ever test drove in my life, if it is like that it is fantastic. Since it is a German vehicle and It's from Porsche it should be better than a blue collar corvette.

Arkbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
Rented a C7 manual last month and after getting back in my car I didn't feel any regret. The Vette steers great and has really good feel but Honda really did a good job with making the civic.

Enly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 350z
Every time I step out of my civic into another car, and then back into the civic again- I appreciate my civic more and more.

Though it definitely needs more speed, getting a tune soon.

Branch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport, '07 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
You need to set down and look at the cayman (986). The steering is still hydraulic. The biggest complaint is the steering wheel is too thin.

TrentonSport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback Sport