nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
I had posted in the “what did you do to your type r today” thread” but wanted to put this under “issues” cause I know other people have had issues with their steering wheels...

Picked my R up yesterday after having the engine harness replaced and also asked them to do an alignment cause my steering wheel has been off center since I bought it. (Bought it used with 1k miles). When they called me and told me my car was ready they said there was no need for an alignment. The toe and camber were fine. They said the steering wheel column cover was lopsided.

My father in law got me a small drive cam for Christmas a couple years ago and I thought to put it on the windshield while my car got worked on. I watched all the videos and here is what was said between two techs...

In regards to my alignment, The tech Said he thinks the reasoning behind my steering being off center is because the “steering column cover is lopsided”. Then said to the passenger (another tech?) “so there is nothing we can really do?” Couldn’t hear the response but the tech said “this is gonna drive me nuts”.

Anyone else heard of this?? I can’t believe a cover would make a steering wheel off center?..
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So you're saying your wheel isn't at 12 o'clock when driving straight? If that's the case I don't understand why they "couldn't" fix that with an alignment. That's why tie rods are adjustable on both ends. A lopsided plastic cover doesn't make any sense.

I re-read your post and could you possibly mean that the steering column isn't pointed at you?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I had posted in the “what did you do to your type r today” thread” but wanted to put this under “issues” cause I know other people have had issues with their steering wheels...

Picked my R up yesterday after having the engine harness replaced and also asked them to do an alignment cause my steering wheel has been off center since I bought it. (Bought it used with 1k miles). When they called me and told me my car was ready they said there was no need for an alignment. The toe and camber were fine. They said the steering wheel column cover was lopsided.

My father in law got me a small drive cam for Christmas a couple years ago and I thought to put it on the windshield while my car got worked on. I watched all the videos and here is what was said between two techs...

In regards to my alignment, The tech Said he thinks the reasoning behind my steering being off center is because the “steering column cover is lopsided”. Then said to the passenger (another tech?) “so there is nothing we can really do?” Couldn’t hear the response but the tech said “this is gonna drive me nuts”.

Anyone else heard of this?? I can’t believe a cover would make a steering wheel off center?..
i would've asked for a print out showing that the alignment wasn't off. If the wheel isn't straight when going straight, it's either an alignment issue, the steering wheel installed one spline off on the shaft, or a bent suspension component.
Them claiming the steering wheel is not straight because the cover is lopsided is a bunch of BS imo. Unless they're telling you that the lopsided is cover is giving you an illusion of the wheel not being straight ... lol

OP
OP
nickjohn35

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you're saying your wheel isn't at 12 o'clock when driving straight? If that's the case I don't understand why they "couldn't" fix that with an alignment. That's why tie rods are adjustable on both ends. A lopsided plastic cover doesn't make any sense.

I re-read your post and could you possibly mean that the steering column isn't pointed at you?
Correct. That was my exact thinking too. But they claim the alignment was fine.

That’s a thought...

OP
OP
nickjohn35

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i would've asked for a print out showing that the alignment wasn't off. If the wheel isn't straight when going straight, it's either an alignment issue, the steering wheel installed one spline off on the shaft, or a bent suspension component.
Them claiming the steering wheel is not straight because the cover is lopsided is a bunch of BS imo. Unless they're telling you that the lopsided is cover is giving you an illusion of the wheel not being straight ... lol
I forgot to mention that they said their machine didn’t have the specs to do a Type r alignment. However on my dash cam they put it on the alignment machine...

Lol the lady that called and told me my car was ready I think said that it could be an illusion from the cover.

OP
OP
nickjohn35

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Go to another dealership dude.
Yeah, I’m definitely thinking about it. It sucks cause this dealership is 5 minutes from my house. Oh well, much rather drive a bit further for better service. The more I think about this the more pissed I get.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Pics of the "offcenter" steering wheel?

OP
OP
nickjohn35

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s really hard to tell in the picture. It’s not a lot, but definitely noticeable while driving.

Honda Civic 10th gen Steering column cover lopsided D5434EE2-3703-4DD9-821C-3E0370C6931A