Steel wheel lug nuts

ntec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Country flag
Hi, i'm going to buying a set of steel wheels for the winter coming up. My question is, can i use the stock lug nuts from my oem wheels or do i have to buy new ones?
Sponsored

OP
OP

ntec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Ex-T
Country flag
I found my answer. I will need to purchase tapered seat lug nuts since the steel wheels are aftermarket and the stock ones are ball seat lug nuts.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I use same stock lug nut, winter or summer. All My wheels are steel.
Why another lug nut ?

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use same stock lug nut, winter or summer. All My wheels are steel.
Why another lug nut ?
Generic fitment steel wheels are often taper seat instead of ball seat and that will require different lug nuts.
Search Costco.ca for steel wheels. You will be presented with hubcentric steel wheels that take OE lug nuts, and a cheaper generic non hubcentric choice that has a slightly different offset and takes taper seat lug nuts.
Using factory ball seat lug nuts in a tapered seat application can be dangerous and will ruin the wheel’s lug nut contact area, stretching it or causing cracks to appear. You’ll usually have mystery vibrations as you drive and you won’t be able to properly torque them.

Just offering information I’ve found out on my own; thankfully not the hard way...

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Generic fitment steel wheels are often taper seat instead of ball seat and that will require different lug nuts.
Search Costco.ca for steel wheels. You will be presented with hubcentric steel wheels that take OE lug nuts, and a cheaper generic non hubcentric choice that has a slightly different offset and takes taper seat lug nuts.
Using factory ball seat lug nuts in a tapered seat application can be dangerous and will ruin the wheel’s lug nut contact area, stretching it or causing cracks to appear. You’ll usually have mystery vibrations as you drive and you won’t be able to properly torque them.

Just offering information I’ve found out on my own; thankfully not the hard way...
Who talk about generic wheels ?
All my wheels are original Honda . The ones on my Civic and the ones I bought for winter...from Honda.

Did you talk about mag wheels ?

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Who talk about generic wheels ?
All my wheels are original Honda . The ones on my Civic and the ones I bought for winter...from Honda.

Did you talk about mag wheels ?
I don't know what either posters intention was, and this isn't directed to either party or anyone else - but this issue should be a sticky on **any** Honda forum, because it pops up like weeds, and it's not common knowledge, even in some tire shops --

Honda OEM wheels use a semi-circular seating pattern for lug nuts.

Aftermarket performance wheels generally use what is called an "acorn" type lug nut.

IT IS NOT SAFE to use these interchangeably. IT IS NOT SAFE to use wheel locks designed for "acorn" type lugs nuts on an OEM Honda wheel.

You need to **understand** this, and use the proper type lug nut for your specific wheel type. People here have also recommended various wheel locks designed for aftermarket wheels for Honda OEM wheels, ie. the newer rotating collar "Gorilla" locks. These are **completely inappropriate** for Honda wheels.

If you've been in this game long enough, you remember all the cracked Rota Slips in this '90s. People blamed this stuff on poor metallurgy or quality control from the wheel OEM. This was caused by using Honda lungs on aftermarket wheels, which induced stress-related failures around the hub on lightweight wheels. A lot kids died from this.

Yes, they physically thread onto the wheel and appear to "fit". **Please** don't do this, EVER.

Last edited:

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know what either posters intention was, and this isn't directed to either party or anyone else - but this issue should be a sticky on **any** Honda forum, because it pops up like weeds, and it's not common knowledge, even in some tire shops --

Honda OEM wheels use a semi-circular seating pattern for lug nuts.

Aftermarket performance wheels generally use what is called an "acorn" type lug nut.

IT IS NOT SAFE to use these interchangeably. IT IS NOT SAFE to use wheel locks designed for "acorn" type lugs nuts on an OEM Honda wheel.

You need to **understand** this, and use the proper type lug nut for your specific wheel type. People here have also recommended various wheel locks designed for aftermarket wheels for Honda OEM wheels, ie. the newer rotating collar "Gorilla" locks. These are **completely inappropriate** for Honda wheels.

If you've been in this game long enough, you remember all the cracked Rota Slips in this '90s. People blamed this stuff on poor metallurgy or quality control from the wheel OEM. This was caused by using Honda lungs on aftermarket wheels, which induced stress-related failures around the hub on lightweight wheels. A lot kids died from this.

Yes, they physically thread onto the wheel and appear to "fit". **Please** don't do this, EVER.
So after reading this, is it safe to say that the lug nuts from a LX steel wheel will work on a Honda alloy wheel?

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
So after reading this, is it safe to say that the lug nuts from a LX steel wheel will work on a Honda alloy wheel?
Yes they will, the Honda steels with the LX have ball seat nuts that work on other Honda rims (I used them for a bit on other Honda wheels), that said the nuts on the LX are open ended so you may want to look at close ended ones for both aesthetic and corrosion.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes they will, the Honda steels with the LX have ball seat nuts that work on other Honda rims (I used them for a bit on other Honda wheels), that said the nuts on the LX are open ended so you may want to look at close ended ones for both aesthetic and corrosion.
Well, Amazon screwed me on delivery of my lug nuts today and my new wheels/tires get installed tomorrow! Looks like I'll be using the open end lugs for a day or so.:(

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
Well, Amazon screwed me on delivery of my lug nuts today and my new wheels/tires get installed tomorrow! Looks like I'll be using the open end lugs for a day or so.:(
Bummer, but they'll work just fine. Don't even get me started with Amazon dude, Canada Post has been on strike and they keep sending my prime packages with them.

CT0760

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring, Blue
Country flag
I have a side question; I got my steel wheels and notice how exposed the lug nuts and "center hole metal" (i dont know the term, sorry) is exposed. Will they rust much during winter? I guess im wondering if i should get basic wheel covers.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a side question; I got my steel wheels and notice how exposed the lug nuts and "center hole metal" (i dont know the term, sorry) is exposed. Will they rust much during winter? I guess im wondering if i should get basic wheel covers.
They are zinc coated so they should be alright. Just keep an eye on them. I actually kind of like the way they look without closed end lug nuts.

Honda Civic 10th gen Steel wheel lug nuts IMG_0776.JPG
Sponsored